Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a now-closed related thread, the Administrator provided this reply:
"Conversations are private. I [the administrator], and any other member, have no access to conversations we are not invited to participate in."

Thank you. That is something I presumed was true but your confirmation is helpful. More pertinent to my original query concerns data mining by commercial interests. While you state that no members have access what about non-members, commercial interests.

You state:
"We do have tracking cookies to allow ads to be of more relevant interest; however they'd be closer to following where you click publically on the site."

1 Ok, so some data mining does happen but normally expected. In the public area, you specify "click." Data is only drawn from click behavior not from public discussions (i.e., messages inputed by members)?

2 Please clarify: Is the content in the "Conversations" area produced by members available for any "mining" or retrieval or manipulation as data by/for commercial interests? (I understand from what you said that no one is reading our private conversations. Again, I assumed it, but digital programs to "crunch data" automatically by machines exist. Such seems not excluded by your previous reply. )

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
In the interest of providing a swift answer, I would suggest reviewing the privacy terms (the ones linked in the previous thread and available throught forum menus and/or header & footer). I read them today. At the bottom they have contact info to answer in-depth concerns.

I believe that moderators of any capacity are volunteers to help keep forum content and conversations on track and to help ensure a pleasant environment (content-wise).

Administrators are the folks who help with forum technical issues, development, and act as a go-between with the actual development team.

I believe that the answers you seek will only come from the privacy terms that are posted and/or the corporate forum owners. Mods, admins, and members will not be able to provide the definitive knowledge/confirmation that you seek. Nor should they be responsible for making statements regarding a legal position of privacy.

Best of luck with your quest!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read them today.
Bargeld, thank you, that was considerate of you. Frankly, I don't know the organizational charts about this website, but it is not unreasonable to ask the people running the website about it. And even if I was fully abreast with all, with all, the written materials there might be, it is still reasonable to ask about it to the stewards of the site. As you probably well know, policy and practice can be quite different. Again, thank you for your interest and help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I mean this with all due respect.

This forum is "free", however "they" have to pay for the servers. Thus the advertising. I would argue that your web browser has all the information needed to target advertisements based on your browser history.

There are ways to manage adds, and methods to ask to not be tracked via your browser. Some browsers keep more data than others.

At the end of the day, I don't pay a dime, and I get a plethora of information Juke related. Even some entertainment value. If they use adds to pay the bills, good on them. If they make some money of the use of this site, fantastic. I am sure it takes some money to keep things afloat.

It is because of "them" I have a place to go for Juke stuff. If they make money off me for that. I can't be mad. It is my contribution for using this site. And I am happy to do so. TV is not free, it is riddled with adds. Targeted at the channels perceived audience.

There are terms of use which I did not read, and agreed to in order to use this forum. I am sure that there is a clause in there that "they" can used targeted adds to the users. Payed users might get less or none (I don't know I am a free user).

Tracker cookies are complex things. I would encourage you to looking into how they work, how they are used, and what they are. I feel this will take the burden off the MODs, and devs, as they have little to no control over the platform on which this forum is built on.

It's strange, strange, digital world out there. Don't get lost in the sauce.

Good luck with your endeavors.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This forum is "free", however "they" have to pay
You completely missed the point. All that is understood. Of course advertising pays their bacon. Anyone on the internet not understand that??

1) my post was not meant to be a basis for discussion. I was asking management for clarification about the data mining that goes on. However, management pushed my post to be just that.

2) it appears that not only clicks as management reported but any contact you make here including your postings will be subject to data mining. FINE. It's their show.

3) my biggest question was about the private area for communications, named "conversations" at this website.
Here again, it appears this area also is subject to data mining. Although website personnel might not, or even care to read the "private" postings, digital mechanisms can comb the postings for the desired data. Again FINE AND DANDY. I simply was seeking clarification. 解るか。

Please don't take my creation of this thread as my seeking discussion. I was not. The administrator pushed it out as such. I was only asking the administration for information as outlined above. (I possibly misplaced my posting originally but I believe I was quite clear in my post that I was not seeking any discussion, for I am not the owner of this website. It concerns policy and its practice, which are the sole prerogative of the owners. )

·
Super Moderator
1,654 Posts
@Juke Ninja you asked a number of questions, most of them directed at the Administrator. They responded to your questions. You asked follow-up/clarification questions and are now waiting for a response. This is called a discussion. Don't post something if you're not seeking input or discussion. If you pose a question, but are not seeking feedback of any kind as such to initiate a discussion then you are asking a rhetorical question and thus could be interpreted as passive-aggressive towards staff in regards to this topic. Being passive-aggressive will not be tolerated. Please continue in a healthy discussion and if necessary reach out directly to @Administrator through a conversation (a discussion). I will point you towards their privacy policy and terms of use which you agreed to both before using this site. Most likely, they would do the same.

·
Registered
26 Posts
1) There has got to be a lot of things being lost in translation. So you have to keep that in mind, if there is any use of translation software being used.

2) I would let this topic go into the archives. I was hoping that my input would help; it has not.

3) I wish you the best of luck and hope can let this go, so you can continue to use this forum as a fun place to engage this Juke community. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts