Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. So I have a 2011 Nissan Juke SL 6MT. 171,000 miles. It’s been making a loud grinding noise and started slipping. Took it to transmission shop and they replaced clutch, flywheel, and throw out bearing. Mechanic drove it after and said it’s making same grinding noise. Told me the transmission is bad? WTF. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
Nissan Juke tekna 2011
3 Posts
Hi I have a Nissan Juke tekna automatic . Mine was losing power when I tried to speed up on a dual carriageway . It also made a grinding noise. My car was in the garage for weeks and had a new cvt gearbox put in and a new cooling box because it would not shift into gear on a cold morning . It is a 2011 model so an old car . But 4,275.00 pound later it still isn’t fixed properly . however, they definitely said it was the gearbox .

·
Administrator
13,173 Posts
Hi all. So I have a 2011 Nissan Juke SL 6MT. 171,000 miles. It’s been making a loud grinding noise and started slipping. Took it to transmission shop and they replaced clutch, flywheel, and throw out bearing. Mechanic drove it after and said it’s making same grinding noise. Told me the transmission is bad? WTF. Anyone else have this issue?
Yep. Heard of it. It is probably 3rd gear ?

@FastReligion can chime in on this

·
Vendor
1,107 Posts
IS the noise when you are going into gear? Like If you are driving and go to shift into third you will hear the transmission grind until its in the gear? This is a common fail point on these trnamsissions and does mean you need a new transmission. Bad Syncro's

Or is the noise when you are driving down the road already in a gear? If this is the case; you need to get the car up in the air and see if you can hear it unloaded on a lift to dianose the noise. Or get onto a dyno to listen for it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IS the noise when you are going into gear? Like If you are driving and go to shift into third you will hear the transmission grind until its in the gear? This is a common fail point on these trnamsissions and does mean you need a new transmission. Bad Syncro's

Or is the noise when you are driving down the road already in a gear? If this is the case; you need to get the car up in the air and see if you can hear it unloaded on a lift to dianose the noise. Or get onto a dyno to listen for it.
[/QUOTE

Thanks @FastReligion. I appreciate the info. I’m going to the shop now to take a listen. In your opinion, if it’s just a constant noise regardless of what gear, what would that mean?

·
Vendor
1,107 Posts
It could be one of a million things that rotate. Axles, transmission, diff inside the transmission, carrier bearing, hub... ect.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It could be one of a million things that rotate. Axles, transmission, diff inside the transmission, carrier bearing, hub... ect.
Thanks again @FastReligion I have a slightly dumb question. Haha. If after all that work I had done and there’s still a noise (assuming the transmission is going bad) how long can it be driven before it fails? Also, I wonder how much a new transmission would cost. Thanks!!

·
Vendor
1,107 Posts
There's no way to answer that. Could be tomorrow could be in a year. That's like asking when a celebrity is going to die next.

Base six speeds go for ~$3500 usd. Install is ~9 hours of labor. So, I would prep for $5000 all said and done.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's no way to answer that. Could be tomorrow could be in a year. That's like asking when a celebrity is going to die next.

Base six speeds go for ~$3500 usd. Install is ~9 hours of labor. So, I would prep for $5000 all said and done.
Thanks @FastReligion doesn’t the new clutch kit come with the throw out bearing or release bearing? This is the one I bought. Reason I’m asking is because I got a second opinion and the mechanic is saying it’s definitely the release bearing. I talked to my original mechanic that did the installation and he told me “yea, it’s the release bearing”. I said the clutch kit I purchased had that included, didn’t you install that too? His response was “oh, that’s right, yea I did. So it’s your transmission going [email protected] lol. When I am at an idle and push the clutch to the floor, all grinding sound goes away and it’s quiet as can be. If I slowly lift off the pedal, it sounds like marbles in a jar full of dirt. I’m thinking that mechanic didn’t put that bearing on and kept it?

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts