Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings My fellow Juke Owners.

I've had a 2011 Nissan Juke SL(?) 1.6L turbo / 6spd manual / for just about a year. Bought it used with about 160,000kms on it. It ticked all the boxes.

• Standard Transmission
  • No sitting on the floor (its higher than my previous Accord).
  • Bum Warmers (LOL) - Heated front Seats
  • BONUS - Navigation w/ Back Up Camera (stock).
I've only put about 6,000kms on the car in the last 12 months. I live in a big city so its mainly just to commute to work (5kms in early hours of morning).

SO...10 days ago -> I'm out driving, hop'd on a freeway, got off, parked for 30 minutes. Got back in -restarted (low tire pressure dash light on) - stopped by dealer - got tires inflated. Car starts up - light goes away. No dash lights

Get out to main road - drive literally 3kms. Brake for stopped traffic and car DIES. NO Re-start.

Tow it to mechanic - thinks its timing chain - can't be. Do research bunch of recalls.
Tow it to Nissan Dealer - Recall work completed. Car NO-Restart

Request Diagnostic be performed > OK.

Preliminary result of diagnostic -> NO ERROR CODES / technician thinks a bad ground somewhere - uh...ok? See a youtube video. Nissan (general) known for bad ground cables. So if it is a bad ground; it should be a simple fix, although I might add a 2nd ground in just to be safe.

Previously - The tach (RPM) would play around a bit. It has stalled at lights before, and I was able to get it to restart, although sometimes more difficult than others. But never had this while driving and in motion. Car Shut off @ 30mph (50kmh). Which doesn't make any sense.

Now the fuel pressure sensor was changed - that would explain why - the car would shut itself off, if it couldn't figure out how much fuel was coming. But if the technician who replaced it did their job properly - they would have cleared the code. But there was no code? so how does that work?

I've also heard of FAB batteries that die. Car batteries that die. While goose chases and replacements for things - that would seemingly not affect the system for a start.

Any other ideas?

Best...

-scatteredbrainz (at the best of times) - LOLOL

·
Super Moderator
4,037 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you are having troubles with your Juke. Let’s see what suggestions this group can provide.

We have found that when the battery is old or dying, it causes troubles with all the functions of the computer. All systems seem to run thru the computer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you are having troubles with your Juke. Let’s see what suggestions this group can provide.

We have found that when the battery is old or dying, it causes troubles with all the functions of the computer. All systems seem to run thru the computer.
Hey Thanks for reply...

NIssan has returned an error code of camshaft sensor. SO I don't know if its faulty, or if its reading true. If its faulty, the quoted price to fix is $475. If it reads true and there's a problem with timing -> $1475, but if timing took out engine -> $3500. But I can buy an engine @ the wreckers for $1600 (just need install); so if the sensor and timing come with it; then why bother replacing them one at a time if I'm just gonna end up replacing everything anyway...ugh

·
Super Moderator
10,576 Posts
Well just fix whats broke at the moment. Hopefully its just the cam shaft sensor. They can fail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here we go fellas - Auto Drama in Theater 16...now showing. After I sent them a long winded email, asking for a compression test on the engine, I spoke with a mechnic earlier today, who said, its possible to go around the camshaft sensor or wire it or something, to make the engine start, just minimal to see if engine turned over, and timing chain was good. So I just got off the phone, and the Nissan shop foreman would like more time with it. Aside now the story has changed yet again. Timing chain @ Nissan is $3900 (quoted today)! ... soo...if I'm gonna do the timing chain, why wouldn't I just drop an engine in it for $2500? but if I'm dropping an engine, i don't need a cam shaft sensor. Engines are not disassembled, they come with the timing chain and camshaft sensor and so on. So.... it.

NOW ...FIGURE THIS OUT....

"Well, the mechanic would like more time with the vehicle, as there's 20 - 30 things that could also produce the cam shaft error code."
?
?
?

- Nissan Service Advisor

This all leads me to believe these folks don't really know what their doing.

Ugh

·
Registered
207 Posts
Where are you located in Canada? If you are across the boarder from Detroit I can recommend a excellent Nissan dealer and a Mechanic that can fix or find any problem you are having.
Nissan of Macomb
Website
Directions
Save

4.3158 Google reviews
Nissan dealer in Clinton Charter Township, Michigan

Address: 22100 Hall Rd, Clinton Twp, MI 48038

Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 6PM

Products and Services: nissanofmacomb.com
Phone: (586) 913-0600

·
Super Moderator
10,576 Posts
A compression test would do a lot for finding out whats up inside.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where are you located in Canada? If you are across the boarder from Detroit I can recommend a excellent Nissan dealer and a Mechanic that can fix or find any problem you are having.
Nissan of Macomb
Website
Directions
Save

4.3158 Google reviews
Nissan dealer in Clinton Charter Township, Michigan

Address: 22100 Hall Rd, Clinton Twp, MI 48038

Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 6PM

Products and Services: nissanofmacomb.com
Phone: (586) 913-0600
I'm actually in Toronto, and so far the Nissan Dealership that's closest to me is arrogant, and off putting. The one its actually at (35miles away)... well this is the summary of the discussion on Monday December 8th, 2019....

Here we go fellas - Auto Drama in Theater 16...now showing. After I sent them a long winded email, asking for a compression test on the engine, I spoke with a mechnic earlier today, who said, its possible to go around the camshaft sensor or wire it or something, to make the engine start, just minimal to see if engine turned over, and timing chain was good. So I just got off the phone, and the Nissan shop foreman would like more time with it. Aside now the story has changed yet again. Timing chain @ Nissan is $3900 (quoted today)! ... soo...if I'm gonna do the timing chain, why wouldn't I just drop an engine in it for $2500? but if I'm dropping an engine, i don't need a cam shaft sensor. Engines are not disassembled, they come with the timing chain and camshaft sensor and so on. So.... it.
NOW ...FIGURE THIS OUT....
"Well, the mechanic would like more time with the vehicle, as there's 20 - 30 things that could also produce the cam shaft error code." ???
- Nissan Service Advisor
This all leads me to believe these folks don't really know what their doing.
Ugh
At this point by Thursday December 12th, 2019, I'm having it towed to a non-dealer mechanic for a 2nd opinion, who can run an engine compression check, and see if the engine and timing are actually good, and if its just the camshaft sensor, that's fine, but I still may trade in the Juke anyway....having your engine shut off and leaving you dead in the water while on driving on a roadway...is deadly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts