Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

781 - 800 of 940 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #781
I am now first on the wait list for auto-x this weekend in the Evo. Hopefully I end up getting a spot! I am trying to do the year long series and if I miss one race, I pretty much lose my chance to win overall points for the season. Fingers crossed that someone drops out this week! Supposed to be in the low 70s this weekend and that makes for perfect race weather.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Oh jeez. Someone must drop then

·
Super Moderator
1,654 Posts
Supposed to be in the low 70s this weekend and that makes for perfect race weather.
That alone should make someone want to stay inside and not race because it's "too cold" to be outside. :p If low 70s is perfect race weather, what about the upper 20s I'm supposed to be? haha. That's shovel snow without a jacket weather for us.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #784
Oh jeez. Someone must drop then
I sure hope so!

That alone should make someone want to stay inside and not race because it's "too cold" to be outside. :p If low 70s is perfect race weather, what about the upper 20s I'm supposed to be? haha. That's shovel snow without a jacket weather for us.
Ya it's a bit chilly out here. But sounds like you have perfect weather to go get a tan in! It will be in the 30s tonight if that helps at all. And then there is this horrible wind that never seems to go away....

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #785
Well, a spot never opened up for auto-x so that didnt happen. I did stop by to see who the competition will be this year. There is another turbo 911 that was doing good (think he won) and a Lambo that was not too fast. So mostly the same people with one person to keep on my radar. Tomorrow morning at 8am, I will attempt to get tickets to the next race before they sell out.

Since I didnt do auto-x, I decided to go drag racing! Its right next door to auto-x anyways. No one was there and I got back to back runs all day long. That was pretty cool. Still cant launch the stupid Evo but I shaved off another half second from last time. Should be able to break into the 11s next time out with some driver mods. Right lane was me.

But after all this, and some CA nonsense, I might sell the Evo. This is all over smog and new CA laws this year. So we will see what happens but I may end up back in a Nissan. A GTR at that.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
So what is changing and how many people are gonna move out of Ca ? lol

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #787
Pretty much, you cant change one setting on the ECU. They are checking a lot of special numbers in the ecu to make sure they are factory. If one thing is off, they send you to Highway Patrol to rip your car apart and make sure there is not one modified part on it. Also, if you get pulled over and have 3 or more illegal parts (cold air intake, down pipe, high flow cat) they will impound your car on the spot. Then there are the portable smog stations that are popping up everywhere. You fail, they tow your car. The part that really gets me is that if you get pulled over with an out of state license plate and dont have a matching drivers license, they want your car registered in CA in 7 days or car goes bye bye.

At least they reversed the exhaust law. It went back to a fix it ticked instead of a $1000 fine and a trip to CHP.

·
Super Moderator
1,654 Posts
I was driving in Denver a few years ago and saw mobile smog/emissions checkers on the interstate on ramps. There were sniffer tubes placed on either side of the metered on ramp lane. If your car triggered the equipment while waiting for the go, it snapped a photo of your license plate and they sent you a "fix it ticket". Never encountered anything like that before. This was while I was out there for work and in a rental car.

Thankfully here in Wisconsin they don't do the visual inspection or the roller/sniffer tube test anymore (haven't done that for at least 8 years). They closed down all of the state DOT inspection facilities that had the capability of doing the roller/dyno tests and sniffer tubes. Now they just have private mechanics setup with a computer that's connected to the state DOT and they scan the ECU via OBD for a check engine light or pending codes and the 8 readiness monitors being set.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #789
Thats exactly how it used to be out here. Plug in to the diagnostic port, make sure no codes are on, make sure that all the monitors are ready and then pass a visual inspection. But now they check the actual tune file. If it doesnt match what originally came in the ecu, you fail and to make it worse, you get sent to CHP for them to double verify everything. I mean, we are talking everything down to do all your lights work. And the real kicker, once failed, you cant drive the vehicle until CHP passes it. CHP is no less than a month out before they can even look at your car.... So anyone who has one car and fails gets screwed for over a month. Tell me thats not messed up.

·
Super Moderator
1,654 Posts
that is messed up. Here in Wisconsin if you fail emissions you get unlimited free tests until you pass via OBD scanning, but you can't renew your plates until you pass (emissions is required every 2 years starting 3 years after the model year of the car). You literally could drive a rusted out falling apart frankenstein spray painted and duct taped 1996 Civic with one poorly aimed headlight (who knows if it even functions still), no turn signals, and no tail lights and get your registration renewed if it passes emissions. State Patrol doesn't get involved until it's a matter of safety while actually on the road... even that is merely a slap on the wrist only if you get caught because there's so many people driving around on an expired/suspended/invalid license or registration and like their 12th DUI.

A few people I know have either registered their car as a "farm vehicle" which carries other restrictions, or they or a relative have land (with a valid address but not necessarily a primary residence) up north out of the emissions counties and register their car there.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #791
Ya you guys have it a bit better than us.... We get one try, if we fail, we are screwed. All they care about at the smog station is if it passes the computer test and a visual of all smog components. Brand new cars get the first 5 years without smog checks, after that its every 2 years (sometimes every year if you are lucky enough to be picked for the random selection).

You can drive around a vehicle here that is completely falling apart and no one will care. As long as DMV got their money and it passed smog, its on the road and you really wont get hassled. Shoot even people with no license plates on beaters dont get pulled over. But if you have a nice car that has an aftermarket exhaust on it, thats the end of world and you will get stopped all the time. Then they will try to pick your car apart for every violation possible and if at all possible, send you to CHP for round 2 of scrutinizing. Nothing in Komifornia land makes sense.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
That is Very messed up and they are creating a Blue Print for other states. They will cite PRO numbers when it actually costs money and is detrimental and other states will adopt it.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #793
Yep, thank CA for leading the way of anti everything and higher prices!

·
Super Moderator
1,654 Posts
Washington state actually ended their emissions testing this past January citing their cities meet or exceed clean air standards. They also set legislature in motion like 10 years ago to eliminate emissions testing. SE Wisconsin (as do most of the counties in the Chicagoland and NW Indiana area) has to follow emissions due to federal oversight of Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes in what they call "ozone non-attainment area". Thankfully some of the silly stuff out of CA hasn't affected us up here, but I'm waiting... just waiting for something some CA lawmaker got paid enough to push through legislature and convinced it was a great idea.

Funny story, I actually just had to go get my car emissions tested today. Passed with a tune and about 50% of each of the two gaskets in the exhaust pipe (Injen second cat and cat back) missing/rotted out. Need to find the time to crawl underneath with an impact wrench and grinder to replace those... it's getting a bit loud and extra rumbly.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #795
Well, we got a new car yesterday. Traded the lexus in for something a bit bigger. Its nothing exciting but the other half is happy. 2020 chevy equinox 1.5t. It runs pretty good I must say! My neighbor hooked us with with a price $9k below window sticker too.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Looks good!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #797
Thanks turbo! She likes it and that's all that matters. Let's me keep spending money on cars without complaints for another couple years haha.

·
Super Moderator
1,654 Posts
ah yes, the good old "distraction/diversion" tactic used on the wife. I'd be lying if I said I have not done that before.

Nice new set of wheels!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #799
Haha glad you know the feeling squirt! Happy wife = well, a life you can put up with....

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Haha glad you know the feeling squirt! Happy wife = well, a life you can put up with....
Happy Wife. Happy Life and Nothing rhymes with Husband.......

781 - 800 of 940 Posts