Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 743 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I decide to share my little project with all of you. Since I am not going to mod the Juke (yet), I needed something that I could mod. All of my past DD cars I have modified a bit too much making them not so much fun to use as a DD. So its time for a completely separate car that I can do whatever I want and not have to worry about how it daily drives.

Everyone, meet Bugzilla. This started life as a bone stock 1970 Bug. I set my quest out to find the cheapest and most popular car to turn in to something its not. Bought it for $600 and sold the unused parts off it for $800. After that, the fun started. Here is a quick little breakdown of what has been going on in the past couple years. All work has been done by me in my garage.

Full tube frame
Custom a-arms
Miata spindles on all 4 corners
Chevy Ecotec powered
Getrag F23 transmission
Wide body

Here is the good stuff!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Dude that's awesome. There used to be these dudes that would modify bugs in my back alley and have the rear bonnet clear like that. I thought it was the most awesome things when they would finish and run them around the block. Kudos!

·
Registered
985 Posts
I had a 72 bug and a few ghias, 67, 68, and 71. Loved them cars.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hehe glad you fulfilled your promise, Bugzilla looks good so far, there's gonna be some noise and rattling inside though with the engine sitting right behind you!

I love it, always had a sweet spot for the bugs as Porsche 911 has always been and always will be my dream car.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! A build like this has been a long time dream of mine so I am glad I can finally do it. Just wish I actually had more time to work on it... Hoping to be driving it to work in the next couple months.

Igor - I told you I would! And yes it is going to clunk and rattle like none other. I figured I would have enough noises to hear to the point where I dont need a radio!

·
Registered
134 Posts
But that's what a man's car should be like, raw, noisy and meaner than a high school bully.

Haha my old man's friend used to own a 2001 Mini Cooper with some sort of a V6 sitting behind the front seats he used it as a drag racer and we were once driving down this road and I was so tired of all the noise I actually tried tuning the radio's volume knob thinking it'd turn the exhaust down hahahaha.
Just car guy things...

All the best on your project matey looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well I have been slowly working away on the body. This is by far my least favorite thing to do. It makes your arms hurt, time consuming, lots of prepping and tons of dust. My whole garage is now white, the Miata went from red to white, and even though I parked the Juke out on the street, it is still has white dust on it. Good thing it was raining this morning! Everything got a bath.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Time for another update! I have been slaving away in the garage for the past couple of weeks doing body work. Yes it sucks. The worst part of building a car! My whole garage is white now. But at least the Bug is starting to look good. I should have it all done and painted tonight though.

The body was actually pretty straight. This was the worst panel but all the others took only a little bondo.

·
Registered
985 Posts
You have me thinking of karma ghia from to many years ago. When I did have a bug that rear compartment behind the back seat made an awesome speaker box. Also, Rocky Mountain Motorworks was probably one of the biggest sites I shopped from as well. Ah, memories.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I got a little more done. Thanks to my helpers.

Ended up giving the Bug some personality

Set it up at 6 inch ride height. And that means 6 inches at the lowest point. Ya it pretty flat

Threw the fenders on to check the alignment. Still need to paint them...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got a little bit more done. Still waiting on my radiator to come back in! Its killing me! So I finished up the rack extender / bump steer eliminator. Got the tie rod ends shortened and welded back together. Painted them too. I also started welding all the steering shafts. Only had them tacked on. 2 more to go and all steering stuff is done. After slapping everything back on, I checked bump steer and it is nearly perfect now.

Drove it back out to sweep the garage. It is nice to not have to push it in and out anymore. Had to take a picture of the 2 frogs together. I didn't realize how small the Bug was compared to the Juke.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Figured I haven't posted anything up here in a while so I need to. Here is my most current video of the Bug terrorizing the streets.

·
Registered
476 Posts
lol when you take off it sounds like a RC car...Over all though that bug is sexy and badass. Amazing Job

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is like a big RC car! But feels more like a go-kart when driving it. No power steering or power brakes makes it awesome to drive and allows you to feel everything. More videos will come soon! And thanks for the good words.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's some sexy supercharger whine going on, what engine are you running in it?

So cool seeing this project coming together man! I've always had a sweet spot for the bugs, great job and good luck on finishing up.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The supercharged does sound good! Pretty much all you can hear. I cant complain.

Engine and trans are out of something like a 2008 chevy cobalt. Add supercharger, cams, ported head, forged internals and so on, you end up with a 425 hp go kart.

Hoping to drive it to work on monday for the first time.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Will this be a offroad buggy?

1 - 20 of 743 Posts