Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. I've seen a few other threads regarding the battery and brake lights flashing, but wanted to see if anyone else had further insight.

I have a 2014 SL with 111,000 miles. This morning while driving the brake and battery light started flashing and I noticed a small decrease in power. There was also a (for lack of a better word) "squeaking" sound under the hood. About 5 miles later (turned around for home), I lost all power. Accessories still on, and ending running but no forward movement when I gave it gas. Fortunately, I was at the top of a hill in my neighborhood and was able to drift to the front of my house.

I turned off the engine, and then tried to start it again.... nothing. Again, all accessories, etc come on, but the engine won't start.

Has anyone had this specific situation? And if so, what was the issue?

Thank you for any information!

UPDATE: It is the alternator and alternator belt.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Just adding thoughts. Alternator dies, light on dash come on, battery is used solo to power entire running vehicle for a while and it dies. Can't start cuz battery is dead.

Sound right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did ask the shop this question, and he told me that the aftermarket alternator comes with a 3 year warranty, whereas the OEM is 1 yr or 12,000 miles. I hope I don't come back here to let you know you told me so.

Thank you for your input!

Sounds like your alternator is seizing up. the Juke uses a "smart" alternator so if you replace it use an OEM one from Nissan. It will cost more but it will save you trouble later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Bergeld.

It played out like this: I started car and about a mile or so into the trip, the battery and brake light flickered on and off a few times. It went off for a minute or so, but started again. At the same time, I heard a weird "sqeaking" (not squealing like a typical belt sound). I turned around and headed back home. By the time I got about 1/4 mile from home, I lost accelleration altogether. Pressed gas....nothing. Fortunately, I live at the bottom of a hill, and managed to drift to my house.

I turned the car off, but I misspoke in my original post - the car DID start (I realized after the fact that I may have forgotten to put my foot on the brake when I tried to start it). Anyway, it started right up, but still would not move when given gas - and the "squeaking" noise continued. It started right up the second time when the tow truck came to pick it up. I replaced the battery not too long ago, so maybe there was enough juice to start it?

I updated my original post. The shop reports that it's the alternator and the belt. I was very relieved it wasn't the transmission.

Just adding thoughts. Alternator dies, light on dash come on, battery is used solo to power entire running vehicle for a while and it dies. Can't start cuz battery is dead.

Sound right?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Does it continue to make squeaking noise whenever engine is on, or above certain RPM? Are there any other warning lights? (turbo could have gone bad?)

Did dash lights stay on when the vehicle wouldn't move? Was the engine still running and just no response to the gas pedal?

Would be curious to find out what error codes are reported if scanned with OBD device. I think that would be next step before blindly replacing the alternator.

Your additional input/clarification supports it NOT being an alternator problem so far. The juke should be able to drive without alternator working, until the battery dies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Bergeld,

1. The squeaking noise was constant when the engine was on, standing still or while driving. There were no other lights aside from the battery and brake light.

2. Dash lights, radio, etc all stayed on. The engine was running, with everything else on - just no response to the gas pedal.

3, I'm not sure what the codes were - I have a good relationship with the shop, and generally, I trust what they tell me (again, I may come to regret this) They told me that the belt had come off the pully altogether.

I have a question for you: Can you tell me if the tensioner pully is a part of the alternator or another part altogether? I have had a random rattling sound like pebbles in a can previously. I had taken the car in previously, and they could not identify an issue. The sound lessened over time (or was less obvious) I'm thinking this was potentially a warning sign to whatever happened today. Thoughts?

Thank again for your help.

Does it continue to make squeaking noise whenever engine is on, or above certain RPM? Are there any other warning lights? (turbo could have gone bad?)

Did dash lights stay on when the vehicle wouldn't move? Was the engine still running and just no response to the gas pedal?

Would be curious to find out what error codes are reported if scanned with OBD device. I think that would be next step before blindly replacing the alternator.

Your additional input/clarification supports it NOT being an alternator problem so far. The juke should be able to drive without alternator working, until the battery dies.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Pulley tensioner is a separate part from the alternator.

Do you have CVT or manual transmission?

While idling (in park or nuetral) are you able to rev the engine or is there zero response from gas pedal?

·
Super Moderator
4,208 Posts
I did ask the shop this question, and he told me that the aftermarket alternator comes with a 3 year warranty, whereas the OEM is 1 yr or 12,000 miles. I hope I don't come back here to let you know you told me so.

The “smart” portion of the OEM alternator helps regulate voltage to the battery and computer. Aftermarket alternators don’t have this feature. Some members here have had troubles that have been linked back to an aftermarket alternator.

Their warranty won’t pay for a new battery or computer if you have trouble in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts