Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Juke Nismo RS AWD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m interested in putting some 19” alloys on my Nismo RS (CVT) but I can’t find any information about it negatively affecting the gearbox, I previously came from a DSG which I saw could be affected by the extra rolling circumference and weight of bigger alloys, is this the same case for the CVT gearbox? Obviously tyres will be slightly lower profiles to compensate for the wider alloys.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Weight is a concern to some degree if they are a lot heavier. It shouldn't cause failure or problems with the cvt, but you may notice performance or mpg efficiency drop.

Diameter of the wheel itself is not.

Diameter of wheel + tire vs oem wheel + tire is the comparison. It will throw off the speedometer marginally if they are not the same. On the juke's AWD, all tires should be the same rolling diameter to avoid issues, small variations will not cause issues, but significant staggering Front/Rear or Right/Left will.

This tool can help:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bigger diameter wheels = lower profile tires = higher chance of bending a wheel.

That being said, one the impacts on the CVT will come in the form of rotational mass. VIDEO LINK.
If the rotational mass is increased then there is more load on the entire drive train as takes more power to accelerate the wheels, and thus the car. Slower acceleration.
If the rotational mass is decreased then there is less load on the entire drive train as takes less power to accelerate the wheels, and thus the car. Faster acceleration.

Arguable the biggest challenge for the CVT is going with a significantly larger wheel and tire combo, with out changing the gearing. And I don't know if you can do that with a CVT.

There are a couple of folks on the forum running 33" all terrain/mud tires. They would have the best input as to the impact of going with larger wheels/tires.

If you want to see what comparable fitments to the OEM wheels & tires, use this site. https://www.willtheyfit.com/
Fantastic site to give you a decent idea of how much bigger, wider, or taller. As well as how much they might stick out or be pulled in.

Good luck and let see some pictures when you get your wheels installed.

·
Registered
258 Posts
We have the MR16DDT engine here in the states, I don't know if the ones in the UK are the same, but here's my experience:

I have 33" tires on an AWD CVT. I think (complete guess) the factory wheel+tire weight is about 40-50 lbs each and my setup is about 80lbs. It's almost double the weight and about 7" more in diameter and the change in acceleration is noticeable, I've probably lost 1 or 2 seconds on the 0-60mph (8-9 seconds on a good day), however my gas consumption has remained in the 18-22mpg range which is what I was getting stock, this is probably due to my increased rolling circumference offsetting the losses from increased rolling weight.

The CVT has the advantage of having no interrupts in torque delivery while accelerating, so small changes in weight or size are not as noticeable, though technically if you want the best performance, you should try and be as light as possible to get the best acceleration.

·
Registered
2015 Juke Nismo RS AWD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
technically if you want the best performance, you should try and be as light as possible to get the best acceleration.
I believe I have the MR16DDT engine in my RS (at least that’s what it comes up with when I check my registration) so basically as long as I try to find an alloy with as close to standard weight+tyre I shouldn’t have any noticeable issues.

·
Super Moderator
10,961 Posts
Its a Juke so if it fits on the USA/Canadian Jukes. It will fit yours.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Keep in mind someone no one talks about for some reason is the traction control system is designed for the stock wheel/tire size. If you mess with it it will mess with the traction control big-time. You can just disable it but it's something to be aware of that I noticed immediately after putting my new setup on.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I believe I have the MR16DDT engine in my RS (at least that’s what it comes up with when I check my registration) so basically as long as I try to find an alloy with as close to standard weight+tyre I shouldn’t have any noticeable issues.
What are you goals for these wheels?

Looks?
More traction?
Auto-x/track?

I think your end goal will play a larger role in wheel selection than being concerned about adverse affect.
All mods will have some sort of impact, just make sure its the one you want, and willing to deal with the rest.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Going to 19" would be for looks. You really will not get better performance. Wider wheels can add more traction, but a shorter sidewall than 18" is not going to see a benefit with this suspension, especially the AWD. The rear suspension has dynamic camber that tilts the top of the wheel in as the suspension compresses in a corner. It is designed to counteract a certain amount of sidewall deformation, and a reduced sidewall will not help the contact patch.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Yes, bigger alloys affect performance. My winter wheel setup is heavy as hell, and it takes a bite out of performance. Because this weight is not actually spinning on launch, it totally works against you in terms of acceleration. It also makes directional changes more sluggish, overworks the suspension, reduces braking performance. It's that noticeable. It's not a CVT thing though, same concept applies to a 6spd manual.

A lightweight wheel/braking package is big on my list for the Juke.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Also keep in mind angular momentum. Think of a figure skater. When they are spread out, they spin slowly and then speed up when they pull their extremities as close as they can to the center (a demonstration of conservation of angular momentum). Even if the larger diameter wheels weigh the same, because the weight is concentrated farther away from the center, it will take more torque to accellerate them up to the same speed.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Tire rack have some pretty good wheel/tire diameter comparo's. I've never seen a 19" wheel come out ahead. An 18" wheel or 17" wheel is the way to go.
I typically try and keep the tire diameter matching close to stock, and I definitely keep an eye on the tire weight which affects the MOI much more than the wheel weight.
Some of the performance loss is in running a taller tire, which makes the gearing taller.

·
Registered
2013 Juke Nismo, Injen Tuned Short Ram Air Intake, Nismo Cat Back Exhaust, Full Vehicle LED Convert
26 Posts
I’m interested in putting some 19” alloys on my Nismo RS (CVT) but I can’t find any information about it negatively affecting the gearbox, I previously came from a DSG which I saw could be affected by the extra rolling circumference and weight of bigger alloys, is this the same case for the CVT gearbox? Obviously tyres will be slightly lower profiles to compensate for the wider alloys.
I have 19x9 Enkei Tuning Raijin wheels on my Nismo RS with a CVT and I haven’t had any issues

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm running 20" x 8.5" rims, Tyres are 245 x 35 x 20

1 - 15 of 15 Posts