Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I just imagining this....Or wasn't there a sub discussion here somewhere that determined THE best year RS was a 2015? For the life of me, I can't put my finger the reason why. I'm not really talking about the cosmetic changes. (The change to gen 2 style gators and lights, or the improved nav package. Not even the color change in the black paints from Sapphire Black to Super Black.) Performance wise, wasn't there some specific "good" thing that carried over from the Gen1 in 2015, then was changed to something sub par for 2016+? I could swear the was something very specific that made the 15 RS superior. Performance wise or mechanically.

·
Super Moderator
1,573 Posts
gen 1/gen 2 describes 2 specific things for the Juke; engine and body (including interior). In a nutshell: The gen 1 engine is the mechanical wastegate and older CVT. gen 2 engine is electrically controlled wastegate and newer CVT. The gen 1 body is halogen headlamps, long slender gators, circular wine rack grill, plain side mirrors. gen 2 body upgrades some trims to projector headlamps, "swoosh" style gators, more oblong/squared wine rack, and integrated turn signal side mirrors. Interior/AV system also got some upgrades. gen 2 got surround view cameras vs gen 1 just has backup camera. gen 2 has newer nav system than gen 1. gen 2 also got the color studio accent pieces. Of course each trim has options and the Nismo/Nismo RS had its own body styling upgrades.

Now for the mix and match game. 2011-2014 all trim levels (S, SV, SL, Nismo, Nismo RS) had gen 1 engine and body with their respective trim options. 2015-2017 all trim levels (S, SV, SL, Nismo) except Nismo RS had the gen 2 engine and body. all model year Nismo RS had the gen 1 engine but 2015+ had gen 2 body.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
For the rs you got shorter gear ratios 1st through 3rd to improve 0-60 time

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm starting to have a mandella effect episode here. I can swear we had a discussion where one minor mechanical detail made the transitional 2015 RS better than any other year RS before or after.

·
Super Moderator
1,573 Posts
I'm guessing here, but I wonder if it was something NissanEgg posted a while ago.

·
Super Moderator
9,823 Posts
I would get a 2015-2017 RS> It has all the Gen2 upgrades but keeps the Gen1 RS Motor etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does the gen2 RS still get the older CVT with the older engine? The manual should be more durable long-term. But consider this the front drive manual RS built in Sunderland UK. The CVT AWD came from Oppama JP. The fit & finish is better says Autogefuhl.

·
Super Moderator
9,823 Posts
It has the Gen 1 CVT I believe. The Jukes for North America were all from Japan afaik.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Most CVTs are fragile by comparison to an auto or manual. Yes, the Gen1 CVT isn't as 'robust' as the Gen2 but it's almost a moot point. Let it warm up before any hard hits and it will treat you well. I've got 36k km on mine (almost) and it's a champ with 200awhp but I don't beat on it or brake-launch, it goes when it needs to go that simple.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts