Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Jukenites-

I did kind of a terrible job maintaining the couple of threads going related to various parts of the first Gen2 big turbo build, EGR delete, and downpipe. I have not posted a ton of updates lately because honestly there has not been much to say.

To get caught up on the build videos, visit YouTube and check out Matt's BB-8 Juke video series. It starts here:

My Juke left TX for Massachusetts back in May, and all the hardware stuff was done roughly 6 or so weeks later. The remaining months were spent waiting on UpRev to deliver V2 support based on a few ROM dumps, mine included. 6-8 weeks they said. Well 6-8 months later and still nothing so my car was delivered back to me on Christmas Eve. So I spent Christmas day detailing it.

GOOD NEWS:

Even on a factory tune that bastard takes off like a rocket ship. I feel like the higher compression motor will make a formidable Juke indeed when the software gets sorted out.

The new FMIC actually fits and looks great.

Downpipe frees up them revs really quickly. Nornal commuting is much nicer and effortless than it used to be.

Engine bay is way cleaner. All those pesky emmissions controls are sure an eyesore lol.

NOT AS GOOD (FOR NOW):

Ya can't throw a big turbo and replace major hardware on a factory tune and expect everything to be perfect so obviously it isn't yet. I cannot realpy allow the car to exceed 3000RPM because as soon as the turbo begins to spool the ECU throws up the lo-trac light, which on the V2 I understand is interchanegable with 'limp mode'. So if I don't keep the revs low and this happens I have to stop the car, kill the motor and let it chill for a few min before resuming. No big deal but anyone wanting videos and sound clips of facemelting launches, you will have to wait a little bit, sorry!

There is no longer room for the Injen strut tower brace, to accomodate the new turbo, so I will need to find alrernative handling support because I was pretty happy with that little guy. Again- no big deal.

That's what I got for now. Hope everyone had a great holiday!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,654 Posts
It's like a Christmas present you can't open up just yet. Looking forward to when UpRev gets it together and provides support for the gen 2.

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha that's exactly what its like.

Its some sincerely tragic irony that I've cooled my heels for the gestation period of a human baby for big turbo goodness so that I can now go out of my way to keep it in vacuum. It is what it is! I'm just psyched (so is my poor wife) to have both cars again.

Aside from the obvious though, the build looks great, sounds great and drives awesome. Still turning necks, just a little slower for a while.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Haha that's exactly what its like.

Its some sincerely tragic irony that I've cooled my heels for the gestation period of a human baby for big turbo goodness so that I can now go out of my way to keep it in vacuum. It is what it is! I'm just psyched (so is my poor wife) to have both cars again.

Aside from the obvious though, the build looks great, sounds great and drives awesome. Still turning necks, just a little slower for a while.
SO JELLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick post-weekend update.

After spot checking all obvious potential problem areas after getting limp mode any time I entered boost, I tried a simple battery disconnect which has solved most driveability issues while I'm waiting on the tune.

Still trying my best in manumatic to avoid serious boost pressure, but as long as I keep it under about 3psi the thing drives like an absolute dream even on the stock map. Even on a leash, she is a beast. And apparently manumatic can be pretty damn satisfying to use.

AFR is keeping steady in the mid-high 14.XX's, and I'll be keeping a watchful eye on that, being on the leaner end of normal. Does anyone feel like a fuel additive such as Torco or Lucas octane booster would be worth using for knock insursnce? Just curious.

Hit limp mode only once since Friday which occurred on my way home from work today, and I had let the pressure (it goes fast when it starts spooling) hit about 4.5psi getting onto the highway.

I don't forsee any more major issues so long as I drive it how it like for now. If I keep getting limp with any regularity I will have my mechanic do a more thorough check on possible leaks or sensor issue.

Now off to do something cooler than big turbos. Project Jupiter 7 (on IG not sure if he's on the forum) got his downpipe installed at FR while my car was there and he made me this BAD ASS custom 3D printed emblem. I am gonna sand it, factory Opama Orange the whole thing, resin fill the lettering white and clear coat the whole thing. I am now kinna glad I never did 13s (still awesome tho) rear emblem delete.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quick post-weekend update.

After spot checking all obvious potential problem areas after getting limp mode any time I entered boost, I tried a simple battery disconnect which has solved most driveability issues while I'm waiting on the tune.

Still trying my best in manumatic to avoid serious boost pressure, but as long as I keep it under about 3psi the thing drives like an absolute dream even on the stock map. Even on a leash, she is a beast. And apparently manumatic can be pretty damn satisfying to use.

AFR is keeping steady in the mid-high 14.XX's, and I'll be keeping a watchful eye on that, being on the leaner end of normal. Does anyone feel like a fuel additive such as Torco or Lucas octane booster would be worth using for knock insursnce? Just curious.

Hit limp mode only once since Friday which occurred on my way home from work today, and I had let the pressure (it goes fast when it starts spooling) hit about 4.5psi getting onto the highway.

I don't forsee any more major issues so long as I drive it how it like for now. If I keep getting limp with any regularity I will have my mechanic do a more thorough check on possible leaks or sensor issue.

Now off to do something cooler than big turbos. Project Jupiter 7 (on IG not sure if he's on the forum) got his downpipe installed at FR while my car was there and he made me this BAD ASS custom 3D printed emblem. I am gonna sand it, factory Opama Orange the whole thing, resin fill the lettering white and clear coat the whole thing. I am now kinna glad I never did 13s (still awesome tho) rear emblem delete.
I CALL DIBS ON BEING THE FIRST JUKE YOU RACE ONCE YOU ARE UP AND RUNNING!!!

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
EDIT- I asked. Not the same guy. He has a Gen2 Nismo because he was the first one of us on the road with a Gen2 downpipe, I think I met him through Matt but now cannot remenber. I PM'd Turbo Walrus about this exact thing a year or so ago and never heard back so I'm assuming he's not around no mo.

Also thanks @13r1an for the great suggestion on priming before sanding. That worked out amazingly well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Limp mode has continued to be an issue on and off while the ECU attempts to learn what's going on and decides I'm an idiot and need to service my engine immediately. Looks like the only workaround currently is to disconnect the battery every night and it will usually behave itself for a day so longas I don't drive crazy or go into more than 3-4psi.

Matt suggested a fuel trim reset, which can be accomplished by touching the positive and negative terminals together for about 5 seconds. Mine wouldn't reach so I broke out a pair of jumpers and simply bridged them with with one of the two cables

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,654 Posts
Of course your jumper cables and homemade insulators (cleaning gloves) are orange.

FYI, anything that discharges residual capacitance within the system is sufficient enough to not only reset the ECU and error codes, but clear fuel trims and force it to load the fail-safe fuel tables. Disconnect the negative and pump the brakes a few times.

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks squirt! That's helpful. The reset did not really help. It's just inconvenient, really, not a huge deal.

And damn yeah textured orange nitrile gloves! They are the best. I can even use them as a 'synthetic clay bar' for really trashed paint that Imma polish out anyway lol. Also great for pet hair removal from carpet and upholstery. You don't need fancy tools!

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
So does she just need a "True" tune then ?

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
thanks for tagging me in this post, I was super curious as to what ever happened to your Jukeys. glad to see it back in your possession.

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its a start for sure!

And @Macgyver pretty much! The ECU just thinks I broke everything lol. Wouldn't be an issue except the continued lack of support through UpRev. It'll get there actually! Gotta anticipate road blocks when trying new things.

thanks for tagging me in this post, I was super curious as to what ever happened to your Jukeys. glad to see it back in your possession.

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well friends, some encouraging developments on the constant limp mode situation.

I started looking at the error codes and realized that every time limp mode occured I was throwing a P0042 Wastegate Motor. And so with my buddy he revved and I watched and noticed that the WG actuator was not closing all the way every time and getting caught on the intercooler coupler.

So my buddy and his buddy rigged up a new bracket and clocked the turbo back just a hair and voila- problem almost solved! Driveability is so good now. We are thinking the issue occured in transit. Just hope driving it that way for a month didn't do any lasting harm.

So I am in much better condition to deal with the not optimistic timetable for UpRev delivering support.

Attachments

·
Registered
718 Posts
Still don't get why you're so hell-bent on an Uprev tune? <cough>JV<cough> could have that Gen2 done in a day... just sayin' he's the only guy tuning us right now so if you're willing to pay uprev $$$$ why not J? Is it for dyno tuning? He'll do that, just have to book the online appointment...
I think the linkage was just poorly designed. Not a transit issue. Based on that photo it was meant to clear by a micron then the pipe heats up and CODE!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not hell bent on an UpRev tune, I just want it done right, and my first experience with John wasn't great, so I would rather be patient and go this route. He's still an option that's available to me, but not a likely option.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
I think any Ecutek tuner can do a Gen2. The question is. Is there a Dyno near you that has Ecutek. Uprev has 10 times more dynos than Ecutek.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts