Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my 2012 Juke just turned 100K(Km) and I've recently noticed a small metal noise near the passenger side when starting the unit, even more so before it heats up. I took it to the dealer for the standard 100K service and they told me that I have to replace the whole turbo assembly!!!
they wouldn't tell me exactly why they said it was bad but I suspect of the bearings dragging.
they are quoting me over $3700USD just for parts!!!
What is the average life on these turbos?
I would expect it to be at least twice that.
I think I might be able to take it to a good turbo shop (need to find one) and have it repaired, if the bearings are dragging shouldn't that be relatively easy to replace? (by an expert).
any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Most of the posts I have seen talking about the oil tube clogging up and it is easy to blame on the wrong oil or infrequent oil changes. Turbo rebuild run 600-1k USD from the various websites I have seen. People talk about upgrading to a 19t (from 13T) and then the conversations(posts) talk about spooling and why you would upgrade, blah blah blah.

Take me the whole car to someone and you will pay an extra 3-400 easily for them to take of the turbo for you. If you do it yourself buy new bolts, gaskets, an a oil line as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,753 Posts
Shop around if you can stand to have the car sit. Find someone to do the labor and send the turbo out to be rebuilt. The new lines are not that expensive. So the Turbo is the main expense.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ME TOO...Turbo gone but your bigger problem is coming...based on my experience, i bet your transmission will go before you reach 100K...Expect it.
.....Last few months have been one expense/problem with my 2012 Nissan Juke after another. Currently with 90K mile, A routine recall tightening of fuel sensor, led to immediate damage and necessary replacement of turbo, which led to transmission more frequently electing to limp mode when driving 30 minutes or more on highway and now after all and likely due or related to all the above, my 2012 Juke appears to need a new transmission.

I am furious the Dealer is not willing to identify the problems immediately and up front when the causes and symptoms of each one of the above failures/problems have been/are clear to other technicians with expertise and forum participants with knowledge/experience of similar juke problems.

I am looking for suggestions on how to get redress from dealer/manufacturer without going legal....I do not have patience for this constant runaround which I identify as simply trying to avoid standing behind the "Juke of a Lemon" they sold me in 2012.....Really infuriated with Nissan dealer's unethical behavior and/or incompetence...Despite being clearly identified on forums, etc as "known issues" with Juke, dealer position is to delay and deny....frequent "can't replicate the problem" denial fuel sensor tightening had anything to do with IMMEDIATE failure of turbo, and now unwillingness to identify the limp mode and "whining" sound of/from engine as a failure/failing of CVT.....Even if we assume this series of issues over last 3-6 months (beginning at fuel sensor tightening and ending with Transmission issues) are unrelated and not due to incompetence and/or an unethical position on part of dealer, isn't reasonable and in best interest of all parties under the circumstances that the dealer and manufacturer help me out here....or are circumstances only fixed, unfortunately, by the lawyers....

I am seeking help before I physically assault (not really) the poor service advisor who is only doing his job by documenting the diagnostic and interaction with customer (me) as required by service manager/dealer owners that: all the issues are unrelated to one another; have never happened before to another customer OR are "normal (limp mode); somehow are not due to incompetence at dealership either causing (turbo) or conveniently failing to identify (limp mode and/or CVT); and most importantly, making customer understand whatever happened or happens it is is not covered under any ethical obligation or warranty of dealer or manufacturer....particularly if we are successful at pushing problem identification and cause out beyond warranty limits...

·
Super Moderator
9,753 Posts
If possible. Go to a different dealer.

·
Super Moderator
1,522 Posts
OP, nothing lasts forever, but a bad turbo after 100K Km (~62100mi) seems to be a short life. A friend of mine has a Solstice with a turbo in it (granted it's tiny compared to ours) and it's lasted upwards of 80K mi (129K Km) and still going strong. it really boils down to service and maintenance determining life span outside of any potential defects.

...A routine recall tightening of fuel sensor, led to immediate damage and necessary replacement of turbo, which led to transmission more frequently electing to limp mode when driving 30 minutes or more on highway and now after all and likely due or related to all the above, my 2012 Juke appears to need a new transmission....
I will play go to bat for the dealership/service department, and no, I do not work for a dealership or service department of any kind.

I highly doubt these are all related failures or one causing another issue and cascading/culminating into a dead transmission. fuel sensor is a miss of a physical spec during manufacture and all they do is tighten it down to spec to prevent fuel from leaking, nothing else is touched. the turbo failure was more than likely a combination clogged oil line and improper cool down at shutdown (yes t's a thing and a remedy is provided in the service manual/driving tips book that comes with the car) which starved the turbo of oil/cooling which caused the bearing to overheat which caused it to wear down improperly causing it to spin/vibrate out of spec which caused the main bearing to seize or the compressor veins to shake themselves loose. transmission limp mode and failure could be any number of things from low fluid level or improper maintenance of the transmission fluid (it's in the service manual for a reason, though doesn't have to be followed religiously like engine oil) to driving environment/style (how hard are you on the transmission).

Granted all three of these could be attributed to premature failure due to a defect. No one will know if it's truly a defect unless the machinists and engineers get their hands on each and every part replaced. Is it unfortunate you ran into one problem after another, yes. They say things (issues) come in three's. Is your juke a lemon, no. Lemon laws vary by state but the majority adopt a similar statement (taken from WI DMV site for vehicles purchased before March 1, 2014):

A new vehicle that is no more than a year old and still under warranty is classified as a "lemon"if:

• It has a serious defect the dealer can't fix in four tries, or
  • It has one or many defects that prevent you from using it for 30 days or more (the 30 days need not be consecutive)

I'm sorry you are having a rough time working with a dealership. If you do not like the results, you are always welcome to go to a new dealership/mechanic. I did after an engine idle/stall out issue and I'm glad I did. The new dealership I found treats me better and is in general friendlier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for response and appreciate and respect your insight.

I might agree with the theory that that all these issues are/were unrelated had it not been that the turbo went within 4 miles of the dealership and 5 minutes of driving the car off dealership lot after it was serviced "tightening" of fuel sensor....Coincidence, maybe but very hard to believe they are unrelated...This coupled with the fact my engine was a mess (oil/grease all over engine) suggests technician did something more than simply "tighten fuel sensor" I have a theory, that says the "simple tightening" was performed by either a rookie and/or a technician who was more familiar with the old method of tightening/replacing fuel sensor which is/was much more complicated before nissan developed a unique tool two years or so ago to tighten fuel sensor..... the old way of performing fuel sensor maintenance was known to contribute to turbo demise due to the dirt debris oil etc that as a result of the procedure often found its way to turbo and damaged it....my turbo was repaired in april and an april trip to north carolina and back was the first time we ever experienced or knew the juke had a limp mode....i am more inclined to believe this might be a coincidence, but you would think that given juke transmission issues, the dealer would have checked and taken extra care to replace transmission oil etc during any one of the 7 - 10 days they had my car in month of april and may....The car was serviced (oil/fluid etc) religiously (every 6K miles or so) by my local auto repair guy and by dealer when if issues arose..... alternative/nearest nissan dealer is not so "near" and my complaint/issue is that going elsewhere should/would not be necessary if dealer was either good at repairs, and/or customer service and/or good at representing my interests to manufacturer.

BTW...I know little about cars so I am forced to research issues (technical service bulletins forums like this etc) when dealership explanation sounds or feels questionable. My research certainly is at times likely incomplete and could be just plain wrong, but I do have a father in law and father who were mechanic/service managers to bounce my finding off of before i go crazy......

Unfortunately all this venting I am doing here does not make it anymore likely I am going to be made whole....Best I can do is notify others....Does anyone know where I might go to complain and have some chance for redress? Are there other places/forums to notify so at least others know to avoid the dealership, the 2012 Juke, and/or Nissan all together?

Thankx forlistening

·
Registered
1 Posts
OMG, I am having all of these same issues with my car, haven’t got a true diagnosis yet. I have spent close to 3,000 and it sounds terrible and runs terrible so was told it was my timing ordered parts for that this am, noticed a new 8in oil leak under front pass side last night. Now after reading all this, looks like my turbo, transmission and probably motor are next. Wow, class action sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is why my Jukes gone once the 60 month lease is up. I'll be tipsy toeing over to Toyota. Mind you Toyota (& Honda) have CVTs now but they've been building their own for decades in the Japanese market without the issues we're seeing here in NA with Nissan's JATCO CVTs.

No more Nissan (or turbo) for me. Good luck with the fight I don't want.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
These issues are rare. Most owners have had good luck. I’ve had the fuel sensor leak fixed on warranty, and the timing chain replacement as well. Any other issues were my fault due to engine modification.

·
Super Moderator
9,753 Posts
Yep true. There were 100,000 plus Jukes sold in the USA and Canada. If you take all the complaints here. Its a very small percentage.

Go on to other car forums. Chevy Sonic. Chevy Cruse. Its a DISASTER area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts