Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I figured that is what you were referring to. I was talking about the X-Trails manual transmission which I'm using being a 10 bolt like the FWD RS transmission.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Got it. The X-trail has the 10-bolt pattern......FTW....lol. That would be awesome to have an LSD. It might make up for any lack of rear torque vectoring if the controller isn't capable of it. You almost need a matrix chart showing the different upgrade paths.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Got it. The X-trail has the 10-bolt pattern......FTW....lol. That would be awesome to have an LSD. It might make up for any lack of rear torque vectoring if the controller isn't capable of it. You almost need a matrix chart showing the different upgrade paths.
#thedarksidewhispers: you need to be a part of this pbgolio... . .

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
The aftermarket controller slaves both clutch packs on the Juke rear differential to a single output on the controller so yes you do lose torque vectoring unfortunately but it would act more like traditional limited slip differential in the rear. The aftermarket controller does have a accelerometer built into it so it will still have some intelligence to it. If I can find a way to spoof the signals from the CVT transmission then it may be possible to retain the factory differential control system which would make this swap easier for others to reproduce. I agree some kind of chart is needed to show all of the different ways you can tackle this conversion.

So far my parts list for this swap is as follows:
DBA-NT31 X-Trail AWD Manual Transmission (MR20DE)
RS FWD Shift Cables
RS FWD Shifter Assembly
RS FWD Transmission Mount
RS FWD CV Axles
Juke Manual Pedal Assembly
Juke Clutch Disk and Pressure Plate (Still need to order)
Juke Flywheel (Still need to order)
DCCD Pro Differential Controller (Factory Controller may be able to to be adapted to function)
Driveshaft (This may need to be custom but I don't know yet.)
Rewire Wiring Harness
Reflash ecu to manual spec Juke

Optional:
RS FWD Transmission for LSD and Gearing (This may or may not work, the gearing should fit but the LSD will likely need to be modified if it's even possible to make it work.)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I just realized the offset of the differential changes between the front wheel drive transmission and the all wheel drive transmission. This means that potentially passenger side axle may be an inch or so too short and the driver side an inch or so too long. I will have to measure the difference between the two transmissions to see if my RS CV axles will work or not. It's also possible that CV joints will have enough movement to account for this.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Yep, it sounds like you need to just get in there and test fit and see what you run up against. Typical NPD process with something like this, you can only figure out so much upfront without a prototype build.

·
Super Moderator
11,301 Posts
Oh Exciting.

I would love to help but too faraway.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Okay so what my timeline for this swap is looking like right now is I should actually be starting this conversion by the end of this year or beginning of next year. I have one Subaru engine swap and manual transmission conversion and a front end chassis rebuild to do before I can get to this. There is a few things I need to figure out before actually begin work though.

Those things are:
Will I be able to have the cvt ecu reflashed with a manual ecu image?
Can a tuning tool from a company like EcuTek or UpRev do the reflash or will this require a Consult 3 Plus?
If I am able to reflash the ecu will the body computer need to be reprogrammed as well?
Will a dealer be willing to reprogram the body computer or will I have to find a way to get my hands on a Consult 3 Plus to do it myself?
What else is going freak out when these components are swapped? ABS, Traction Control, etc.

Some of these things I may just have to figure out as I got but if anyone has any idea on any of these things some input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Okay so what my timeline for this swap is looking like right now is I should actually be starting this conversion by the end of this year or beginning of next year. I have one Subaru engine swap and manual transmission conversion and a front end chassis rebuild to do before I can get to this. There is a few things I need to figure out before actually begin work though.

Those things are:
Will I be able to have the cvt ecu reflashed with a manual ecu image?
Can a tuning tool from a company like EcuTek or UpRev do the reflash or will this require a Consult 3 Plus?
If I am able to reflash the ecu will the body computer need to be reprogrammed as well?
Will a dealer be willing to reprogram the body computer or will I have to find a way to get my hands on a Consult 3 Plus to do it myself?
What else is going freak out when these components are swapped? ABS, Traction Control, etc.

Some of these things I may just have to figure out as I got but if anyone has any idea on any of these things some input would be greatly appreciated.
There is a least one person that has done a CVT to manual swap (not AWD though), so I think it is more than possible. The thread may be on this forum as well. (I will need to check)

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
There is a least one person that has done a CVT to manual swap (not AWD though), so I think it is more than possible. The thread may be on this forum as well. (I will need to check)
Lars Wolfe and Matt have done them. The problem is the AWD. The Juke system does not have a traditional center or rear differential. There are computer-controlled clutches that communicate with the computer-controlled CVT. In addition, it is a compact system that may have issues with the added driveline shock associated with a manual application. You have to find a new transmission that will work, find/make a transfer case with a center differential, and add a rear differential that will replace the existing, then new driveshafts, mounts, etc... It is a lot of work to make all the pieces work together.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
I know a CVT to manual swap has been done in the past but I believe they replaced the body computer, ecu, and harness from a donor car. I am curious to know if the ecu and body computer can be retained rather than replaced since the hardware in each of the ecus are identical.

Lars Wolfe and Matt have done them. The problem is the AWD. The Juke system does not have a traditional center or rear differential. There are computer-controlled clutches that communicate with the computer-controlled CVT. In addition, it is a compact system that may have issues with the added driveline shock associated with a manual application. You have to find a new transmission that will work, find/make a transfer case with a center differential, and add a rear differential that will replace the existing, then new driveshafts, mounts, etc... It is a lot of work to make all the pieces work together.
You clearly didn't read through this thread did you? Not wanting to be rude but this is all stuff that has been figured out already. I have manual transmission in my possession from a JDM Nissan X-Trail that will bolt up to the MR16DDT in the Juke. The transmission is a RS6F52A which is simply a different revision of the transmission in the FWD Juke Nismo RS and is compatible with the FWD RS shifter, axles, and upper transmission mount which I also already have. The factory rear end will be able to be retained as the transfer case ratios are the same. The electromagnetic clutch packs in the rear will be controlled by an aftermarket controller which I already have as well. The things I don't have yet are driveshaft (I will have a custom one made), transfer case mount (I will be fabbing up one of these myself), pedal assembly (easy to source from a wrecking yard), and the flywheel clutch and pressure plate (these are the same a Juke so will be easily sourced).

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Hey, if you have it all figured out, I would take my post as a compliment. I was just pointing out that an AWD conversion is a lot more work than just a manual swap. If you get it done you will be the first success, but not the first attempt. I read everything.

And if you can really make your plan work the first time perfectly, then that's super kudos to you. Few of us have been smart or lucky enough to have our plans work out that well.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I watched a honda to AWD conversion video, and the detail in there was awesome. Hopefully we will be able to do something similar soon!

https://youtu.be/CyQO84sbPKg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I watched a honda to AWD conversion video, and the detail in there was awesome. Hopefully we will be able to do something similar soon!

https://youtu.be/CyQO84sbPKg
The past two months I’ve been contemplating using a Honda awd transmission to do the manual awd swap, since I already had those pieces laying around, and thank god I found this post with more in-depth info of a awd manual swap, I heard about this forum from a FB page, I’ll stick around and see how this goes

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
The past two months I’ve been contemplating using a Honda awd transmission to do the manual awd swap, since I already had those pieces laying around, and thank god I found this post with more in-depth info of a awd manual swap, I heard about this forum from a FB page, I’ll stick around and see how this goes
I have been bugging the crap outta Macgyver for the past few months talking about getting a new car, and maybe just buying a FWD RS (2015 or newer), since there has been little movement with this.

I just don't trust a CVT trans anymore (and never really did), and I really want to tune. I'd really like to know the sort of cost involved in getting something like this done as I would prefer AWD manual.

Reactions: slcjuke

·
Registered
625 Posts
"I just don't trust a CVT trans anymore"

Big yeeeeeeeeeeeeep. It can't handle the way I drive my cars. I'm part of the max boost all the time foot flat crowd. AWD manual would be amazing.

I've also been toying with the idea of RB26 swapping and making a mini Juke-R. By my estimations would run around 30-40 grand but would be so amazing lol

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
"I just don't trust a CVT trans anymore"

Big yeeeeeeeeeeeeep. It can't handle the way I drive my cars. I'm part of the max boost all the time foot flat crowd. AWD manual would be amazing.

I've also been toying with the idea of RB26 swapping and making a mini Juke-R. By my estimations would run around 30-40 grand but would be so amazing lol
I would be more inclined to go with a VQ engine. Doesn't have to be insane costs, especially if your base starts off as an AWD.

Either by late this year, or early next year I will hopefully have sold my townhouse, and be at a place with a garage to start doing creative stuff I want to do.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
My Evo will be up for sale soon if you guys want the easy ticket to AWD manual.....

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
An AWD Juke 6spd will be awesome. Looking forward to the results. An engine swap sounds cool but then you are talking about running a Motec or similar standalone, which poses some interesting challenges in terms of ABS and VDC functionality. I’ll stick it out with the CVT since I actually need an automatic.

Flannelfairlady has got the right idea. Use a Nissan AWD transmission that already mates to the existing block, then the 6spd ecu and BCM. The rear differentials I almost think if the diff controller cannot manage them is the problem. The Xtrac....either has a center differential already or it’s own version of an electronic rear diff and that might be the critical point. I know the aftermarket diff controllers typically are running with cars having a rear and center diff already. I’ll have to reread this thread to see if he covered that topic.

81 - 100 of 117 Posts