Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

Registered
All said and done if this works your juke would be a modern representation of a pulsar gtir and that's effing exciting! 馃挗馃憡馃憤

Registered
I have actually been thinking about this ever since I got my Juke 4 years ago. Love manuals but living in the North East, I need my AWD too. Thought that importing an AWD manual from Europe or Japan would be the easiest way to go. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this project. Best of Luck and keep us posted.

Registered
Discussion Starter #43
I have good news, the transmission has been shipped from Texas as of Tuesday and I should have the transmission by the middle of next week. I am excited to finally get my hands on the transmission that I purchased back in February. The transmission took so long to get because it came from Japan and on top of that the importer never sent me a shipping invoice for the stateside shipping when they thought that they did then they lost track of the transmission for several months until I emailed them and called them several times. Thankfully that is all sorted out now. I am interested to see the side by side comparison between the AWD manual transmission, the FWD RS transmission and the CVT AWD core I have. I will post some pictures when it comes in.

Super Moderator
Wow thats amazing !!!!!
I couldnt care less if it had vectoring etc. Just having all 4 tires with manual power would be cool.

Premium Member
I have been looking forward to seeing this develop for a long time- glad your foreign freight is finally making it's way home. Hope my transmission gets back to TX soon, too (and the rest of the vehicle attached to it).

Registered
Discussion Starter #46
It has finally arrived after over 6 months of waiting the transmission has finally arrived and it is everything I was hoping and more! I immediate had to test the RS parts I have on it and they all fit which is the crazy thing. What I've tested so far is the front CV axles, shift linkage, shifter, and making transmission mount. Just as I theorized because the internals are identical to the RS6F52H in the FWD Nismo RS asides from the case, differential and transfer gearing everything fits. The bell housing looks to match up just as expected.

At this mount it is going to come down to measuring for things like the transfer case bracket, the standalone differential controller, the differential itself and whatever it takes to mount it and get CV axles that work. I am not 100% but I don't thing the ratios in the transfer case and the rear differential are compatible but I will take a look at the gearing and do the math again I may be wrong. Otherwise I will have to adapt the differential from a Nissan Murano as it is the same part number as the one from the X-Trail. I will also be needing a custom driveshaft for this but that is as easy as taking flange info and length to a driveshaft shop once the transmission is in the car. I can't do anything about the wiring until the car is already apart so I will just read up on it for now.

The only thing that will be holding me up at this point is finishing my current projects so I can start on this one. Ahead of the Juke manual AWD swap is finishing my 78 Datsun 280z engine swap project and my 90 Toyota Celica All-Trac which I have to fix the strut tower. The Z is in the final stages of wiring and buttoning things up. The Celica is a bit more of a basket case because I have to find a straight donor car for the core support pieces and strut tower section. Worst case for the Celica I believe the parts are still available in Japan.

In the mean time I am going to take the X-Trail transmission apart and check it over for any glaring issues that will need to be addressed. I also plan on taking some measurements to make sure there will not be any fitment issues. There will be more to come soon.

So many transmissions so little time.

Registered
That is awesome that you are making progress with this. If you do end up successful, I will most likely buy another Juke to clone what you are doing. Everything is looking promising so far! Keep up the good work.

Super Moderator
Wow Wow Wow. A Manual actually exists that might be promising. Dayum.

Might be worth buying a cheap Project Juke to experiment with in a year or so.

SO would it be better modding a FWD or AWD Juke?

Registered
Discussion Starter #49
That is awesome that you are making progress with this. If you do end up successful, I will most likely buy another Juke to clone what you are doing. Everything is looking promising so far! Keep up the good work.
At this point I am 99% certain the swap will work but there is chance I may have to go to a Link ecu to make that happen but we will see. When I get to the point of making any custom brackets I can make a jig at the same time so I could make the custom parts for anyone who actually wants to try this swap.

Wow Wow Wow. A Manual actually exists that might be promising. Dayum.

Might be worth buying a cheap Project Juke to experiment with in a year or so.

SO would it be better modding a FWD or AWD Juke?
Yeah it took a lot of digging to find the correct transmission for the job but it will bolt up to the Juke and that in itself makes it all worth it. What makes this so great is it is using mostly stock parts. The transmission should hold as much power as FWD RS since it has the same internals minus the LSD. The only weak point of the internals of the transmission may be the transfer case but I won't know for sure until I pull it apart.

You would want to start with an AWD otherwise you would also have to deal with a lot of fabrication work to make the AWD suspension work in a FWD chassis.

Super Moderator
Copy that.

Might think about a Lars Wolf Juke. Resurrect a Junkyard salvage title AWD Juke and do it. Depending on how it works with you.

Registered
Hey just commenting to stay updated on this since this would be the biggest game changer for the juke, but what do you think the overall cost minus labor would be for a project like this

Premium Member
At this point I am 99% certain the swap will work but there is chance I may have to go to a Link ecu to make that happen but we will see. When I get to the point of making any custom brackets I can make a jig at the same time so I could make the custom parts for anyone who actually wants to try this swap.

Yeah it took a lot of digging to find the correct transmission for the job but it will bolt up to the Juke and that in itself makes it all worth it. What makes this so great is it is using mostly stock parts. The transmission should hold as much power as FWD RS since it has the same internals minus the LSD. The only weak point of the internals of the transmission may be the transfer case but I won't know for sure until I pull it apart.

You would want to start with an AWD otherwise you would also have to deal with a lot of fabrication work to make the AWD suspension work in a FWD chassis.
Any progress with this at all? You just know this is 'the one' people are watching lol. I would very much be inclined to follow suit on this.

Premium Member
Forgot to ask.. can you put an LSD from the Manual RS in this AWD box?

Registered
Discussion Starter #54
Any progress with this at all? You just know this is 'the one' people are watching lol. I would very much be inclined to follow suit on this.
Sorry no progress yet but I haven't forgotten about this project. I am in the process of buying a house so I have to wait for the dust to settle from that before I can really dig into this swap. The good news about that is that my new place will have actual shop space to work in rather than the cramped garage I am presently working out of.

After we get settled in I will be pulling apart the AWD transmission and just checking that everything is in order internally. Maybe swap over the internals from the RS fwd transmission I have since it has a better final drive and syncro configuration.

As far as the RS LSD goes I don't think it will bolt in based off of the fact the transfer case is driven off of a hear that is bolted to the differential case itself. I do plan on experimenting with that idea though when I have both apart.

Registered
After you get done what you will essentially have is a modern version of a nissan pulsar gtir!

Premium Member
Definitely want to here more details on the trans you chose.

Good luck with the house!!

Premium Member
Also.. I am very curious if the RS AWD driveshafts etc will bolt straight up to the AWD box you have. Would love to know that.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts