Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That was initially my plan but with the costs involved with that I immediately ruled that out as I am just an IT systems administrator with no real training outside of making small models for 3d printing. I feel like the costs involved in making an entire transmission case half from scratch would be rather expensive even for me. If you are needing measurements of anything I can totally provide them for you just send me a PM or something. I have both the RS 6 speed and an AWD CVT with transfer case sitting in my garage. The one thing you will have to note is that the manual transmission used in the RS (RS6F52H) is completely different than the one used in the non-rs manual cars (RS6F94R). I was able to find a LSD that may actually mate to the Juke transfer case with no machine work needed but since I am not going that route I haven't dug into it too much.

I was able to find a transmission in Japan for less than $1000 but the big factor will be getting it shipped to the USA then the freight involved in shipping it to me. If I am right I won't need anything else from Japan or Europe but we will see if that is actually the case. We will see when I actually get my hands on the x-trail transmission though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm recovering from back surgery so my ability to do much car related is severely limited to what my patience tolerates teaching the kids. As for shipping, get a hold of one of those companies that gets the container fulls of JDM engines and sells them. See if they can import one for you. They can probably get the transmission cheaper and it is just a small slot in their container so shipping to the states shouldn't be much. The shipping to your house would be the worst.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Hope you feel better soon, I had back surgery in '05, and it was definitely not the most fun I've ever had with my clothes off.

I'm recovering from back surgery so my ability to do much car related is severely limited to what my patience tolerates teaching the kids. As for shipping, get a hold of one of those companies that gets the container fulls of JDM engines and sells them. See if they can import one for you. They can probably get the transmission cheaper and it is just a small slot in their container so shipping to the states shouldn't be much. The shipping to your house would be the worst.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I know you pain I spent a few months recovering from a surgery myself not too long ago, I was going nuts not being able to work on any of my car projects. As for shipping I'm already two steps ahead of you and I have been talking to just such a place since last week about getting transmission brought in with a container of other stuff. The hardest part will just be waiting for the container to fill up and get shipped here. lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The transmission has been ordered and it was actually fairly inexpensive all things considered it cost me around $750 and will probably end up being just under $1000 by the time I get the transmission shipped to me. I will probably see the transmission in a month or two at the most.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I just got an email from my importer and it looks like the container with my transmission is on its way here to the US. I was told I likely wont receive the transmission for 2-3 months which sucks but it gives me time to finish some projects that are ahead of the Juke.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
I'm impressed with the pricing you got. I know it's still a huge and probably expensive job, but still. What was your basic approach to getting the electronics to interact with one another in a Frankenjuke?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
As far as the electronics go the plan is to make the car think it's a front wheel drive manual car and to control the clutch packs in the rear end with a aftermarket controller. I may still run into some issues but that actually really simplifies the whole process.

·
Super Moderator
9,753 Posts
As far as the electronics go the plan is to make the car think it's a front wheel drive manual car and to control the clutch packs in the rear end with a aftermarket controller. I may still run into some issues but that actually really simplifies the whole process.
That will be cool. Sorta like a trailer brake setup. Dial in the bias you want.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That will be cool. Sorta like a trailer brake setup. Dial in the bias you want.
Yeah pretty much like that, you have the ability to choose your power distribution based the gforce sensors and throttle position. The only thing I'm not 100% certain of is how the ABS system will react to this but I'll figure that out when I get to that point.

The great part is since it's the same internals as the Nismo RS transmission I shouldn't have too much of an issue with the transmission holding up as far as power is concerned.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
One of the things that I think is likely going to be a pain point with this swap is going to be the ABS, VDC, and TCS. There is a different ABS actuator assembly between the FWD and AWD cars which might be just different valving but I can't be too sure. The rear wheel speed sensors are also in a different location on the FWD cars which makes sense, as long as the trigger wheels are the same it shouldn't be an issue but again it's all speculation until I actually get the car apart and compare the two setups.

·
Registered
98 Posts
is the aftermarket controller one like the DCCD Pro unit they were toying with for AWD jukes a few years back? Very interested to see how this progresses.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yup, that's the one I'm planning on using. Unfortunately with it lose the vectored awd as it slaves both clutch packs to a single output but considering I may have to run a differential from Murano which only has a single electromagnetic clutch pack that's not the end of the world.

·
Registered
98 Posts
if i can gain 6 speed AWD manual, i have no problem giving up vectored AWD...lol Do we still get transfer bias to the rear wheels? i have always dreamed of drifting the juke...lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Actually yes you can still transfer the bias to overdrive the rear wheels which would be similar to the Focus RS drift mode. My plan so to bring the Juke up to par with the Focus RS in terms of power as well just because.

·
Registered
98 Posts
too bad you are on the other coast. i would love to be involved in this swap to learn.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I own a awd juke and I've been saving up for coils but if this works I may have to put the coils on hold, I hope it works out cause I would love to get out of the cvt

·
Registered
21 Posts
Actually yes you can still transfer the bias to overdrive the rear wheels which would be similar to the Focus RS drift mode. My plan so to bring the Juke up to par with the Focus RS in terms of power as well just because.
Hey just wondering what ever happened to this project I hope you're still working on it and I wish you the best of luck

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Hey just wondering what ever happened to this project I hope you're still working on it and I wish you the best of luck
I am still working on it but right now it's a waiting game as my transmission had to be shipped from Japan through an importer. The transmission should be at my importers facility in the next week or two then it's getting shipped to me from Texas.

·
Super Moderator
9,753 Posts
Wow thats Awesome. Good things take time.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts