Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean, yeah, is anyone using it? I found a kit on MRPs website and was thinking about doing it for a future mod.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
PM MRP

They installed it on Nurdi's Juke a while back.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Not something I fully understand so I cannot comment.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have been running it on my SpecV for about 50k. I run 100% methanol, I dont dilute it. Depending on your purpose you can run any mix of water to methanol. The more water the less octane less power increase, but you gain more cooling and less of a chance of detonation.
Ideally Methanol allows you to run more timing more boost and leaner afr's with less risk

You hear people using e85 in boosted cars. It provides most of the same benefits or Methanol. Great for a full time race car, but imo its a waste for a DD. E85 requires about 40% more fuel to make the same power. So you burn through it like crazy just driving about

With Injection kits its only used when the selected boost level is reached. So depending on driving habits 1 gal tank can last a few months.

From what I read The general opinion is that with 93 octane and 100% methanol it raises the octane level in boost to 116-120. I have no way to verify that but I can say that when my controller goes to full Its almost like a second wave of boost. It pulls noticeably harder and according to my EGT it drops the temps a couple hundred degrees.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Depends on the ignition timing you run. On my tune, I've never seen knock retard based on active knock, only temperature driven timing reduction.
Up to 18 psi there is no need for more octane on the stock turbo IMHO. I've run 100 octane unleaded and it made zero difference anywhere in the powerband and I had no desire to attempt bumping the timing to take advantage of it. I ran 100 octane on the dyno only as a backup against heatsoak induced knock, just in case as this is my daily driver.

The thing about methanol injection I'm not a fan of is the fact you have to lean out the mix to run it, which is dangerous if the pump fails.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Water/Methanol injection allows tuners to run a more aggressive timing map with less of a chance of running into any pre-ignition. Water-methanol also cleans engine parts that are prone to carbon build up, like injectors, valve seats, and valve faces. I personally have run it on every boosted vehicle i have ever owned. It was put on Nurdi's Juke so that more efficient boost pressures could be used but still make the same power as higher pressures. On the Juke, anything over 18psi is within the sub 60% efficiency range, meaning more pressure creates less power as the boost passes 18psi. Some people are running 19-20+ psi to break 200 AWHP (this is a rough number, many variables effect how much pressure makes how much power). On nick's car we where able to run a little over 18 psi (18.7psi if i recall correctly) and add more than normal amounts of timing adv. to make 200 AWHP 200 AWTQ. This stops the turbo from having to work TOO hard and risk damage, and also spares some of the engine components the extra stress of having more pressure applied.

This is also a security blanket as well. Adding water-meth to any boosted car helps compensate for times when "bad gas" is pumped in. We do not live in a perfect world, gas may be rated for 93, but you may be getting less than that. Water-meth increases fuel octane within the combustion chamber, so you can run a lesser octane fuel, but reduce the risk of pre-ignition from it.

We have been running the MRP meth kit on our test Juke for over a month now, with no tune. AFR's are great, car runs fine, no dilution in the oil, and MPG's are normal. When the car goes for its tune in late June/early July, we will get a tune with methanol and without as to show the difference.

This is not a power adder by any means. It is just a way to protect the engine and allow more performance to be squeezed from the engine while keeping the risk of damage lower. And on a vehicle like the Juke that runs a lot of pressure to make decent power, keeping the engine healthy is no easy task.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Have you always used meth? or have you done straight water before in the past? Do you use a blend? I'm curious about the carbon removal abilities more than anything else. I"m not tuning mine, nor am I after more power. I also have a 10 yr warranty and I don't want to do anything that will interfere with it. Small amounts of water injection i know will help keep the cylinders clean from the steaming action, but that doesn't happen so much in the intake track.

I guess the bottom line question is, what rough percentage of meth is needed in the water to get the desired cleaning results? Seafoaming only happens infrequently and for a very short application. Meth for carbon control would, i think, be far more effective as it would be delievered on a daily means vs once or twice per OCI with seafoam. That and to my knowledge no one has pulled a manifold that has been getting regular seafoams from day 1 to see how effective it actually is.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Have you always used meth? or have you done straight water before in the past? Do you use a blend? I'm curious about the carbon removal abilities more than anything else. I"m not tuning mine, nor am I after more power. I also have a 10 yr warranty and I don't want to do anything that will interfere with it. Small amounts of water injection i know will help keep the cylinders clean from the steaming action, but that doesn't happen so much in the intake track.

I guess the bottom line question is, what rough percentage of meth is needed in the water to get the desired cleaning results? Seafoaming only happens infrequently and for a very short application. Meth for carbon control would, i think, be far more effective as it would be delievered on a daily means vs once or twice per OCI with seafoam. That and to my knowledge no one has pulled a manifold that has been getting regular seafoams from day 1 to see how effective it actually is.
ALWAYS run 50/50, straight methanol and straight water are a big no no on a street vehicle. The methanol is only active under heavy boost conditions. You do not want it running any other time, as it is adding liquid to the combustion chamber and can cause overly rich conditions if RPM and load are too low. This steam cleans the combustion chamber. Carbon should not be anywhere else in the engine aside from parts located in the combustion chamber or on the exhaust side of the head. The intake manifolds should be clean, other than small deposits of oil from the PCV system. IF you have anything else in your intake manifold you have serious issues. I also want to point out that the cleaning is a side effect of this. Its primary purpose is increasing octane ratings, preventing pre-ignition, and cooling the combustion chamber.

Adding this may void warranties, all of the parts I develop are for performance purposes only. Contact your dealership for warranty info.

Forgive me if this was mentioned before, but where did you mount the meth/water storage bottle on the test juke?
Here is the install video. The video is just locations you can mount things, as i set this vehicle up for quick access or parts for repair and adjustment during auto-x and track racing that it will see in the near future.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I’m planning on running a meth kit pretty soon, does anyone know/ suggest that I’ll need colder plugs soon? I’ve come across someone using gtr plugs on the juke. At what point is this necessary? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,778 Posts
I’m planning on running a meth kit pretty soon, does anyone know/ suggest that I’ll need colder plugs soon? I’ve come across someone using gtr plugs on the juke. At what point is this necessary? Thanks
do a quick search of the forums. I seem to recall NissanEgg a few years ago discussing using colder plugs or using the GTR plugs.

Reactions: menshealthadvocate

·
Super Moderator
10,728 Posts
You will not need colder plugs unless you are doing Insane boost pressures and power above 350 to 375 whp. The MRDDT has shown this to be true. Some platforms/cars benefit from colder plugs and some do not under heavy tuning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts