Original owner
2014 Juke Nismo AWD
155K miles all highway
Serviced 2x a year.
CVT Flush 60k, 95K, and 135K
Oil change every 5500 semi synthetic
Only problems have been alternator/serpentine and a blown coil
I confess that I have put the cheap gas in it

My mechanic told me that the turbos start going about 200K miles. I was hoping to get 250K out of it. What type of preventative maintenance beyond typical servicing (ie induction cleaning, check fluid levels, etc) should I be looking to do in order to maximize the life of this vehicle?

·
Registered
555 Posts
250K out of a Nissan? I guess if it's like literally only highway miles....

Why not just throw full synthetic in there? Stuff costs practically nothing at this point you can get 5 quarts for <$20.

Anyway with the Juke you have a few things and the main will obviously be the transmission. External cooler will extend life as well as doing the CVT fluid changes semi regularly which you are doing. And biggest thing is not driving the car hard. AKA: Don't give me your keys

Other than that not that many issues that I know of on this car other than the fact that it's a Nissan product so it's the most disposable vehicle you can buy. Things are designed to last <10 years with how cheaply they're built.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Use full synthetic. Probably good to use a high mileage formula, especially if you were not using full synthetic before. And try to change it a couple of thousand miles earlier. The oil is under a lot of stress on this car, and if the oil feed line clogs with deposits, the turbo is done. You need to do an intake valve cleaning regularly. Make sure you flush your cooling system regularly and use the proper coolant, as it has to do a lot of work too. And stop putting cheap gas in it.

If the turbo gets lubrication, coolant and isn't beaten on, it should last a long time.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
You need to do an intake valve cleaning regularly.

WHAT does that mean? How do you conduct an intake valve cleaning regularly
Intake valves on any direct injected engine (other than those that have secondary port injection) get a build up of carbon on them that does not wash away because no fuel hits them. This isn't just a Nissan issue and some German cars seem to be worse for buildup. By your question, I assume that you have not done this so far. At this stage, more aggressive cleaning is likely needed, such as walnut shell blasting or mechanical removal with a brush after taking off the intake manifold.

For DIG engines that do not have major buildup, intake valve deposits can be managed with regular use of an intake valve cleaner, like those from CRC or Sea Foam. They offer sprays that are much easier to use than the old way of dripping it into a vacuum line. I use the MAP sensor hole to spray directly on the throttle body. However, if buildup is significant, mechanical removal is likely needed both to get it to a manageable level and to prevent chunks of carbon from breaking off and causing issues. Some people recommend using a professional that will accept responsibility if anything goes wrong when the deposits are significant.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Nissan offers the service for around $200-ish.

They used specialized machinery and chemical products that should work better than spray and pray methods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts