Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Juke SL USA version came with the "Auto" headlight feature that turns the headlights on and/or off based on ambient light and/or windshield wiper function. Adding this feature is straightforward and easy for most Juke models. You need to add three things; a new combination headlight/wiper switch, an optical sensor, and a new trim piece to hold the sensor. (Or, you can cut a new hole in your current trim piece to hold the sensor.) After those pieces are installed, you'll need to go to a dealer to have your BCM reprogrammed. (I paid $65 at Portland Nissan for this service.) BTW, all the parts below could be removed from a Juke SL at a wrecking yard if you want to save a few bucks.

1. Combination switch:
There is an excellent write up by 13r1an on how to add foglights to your Juke. https://www.jukeforums.com/forum/nissan-juke-appearance-body/213962-non-nismo-fog-light-installation-helpy-talk-talk-information.html (That thread is what gave me the idea for adding Auto headlights and my efforts to add them are in that thread.) Anyways, one of the steps is adding the new combination switch to add the OEM on/off switch for the foglights on the headlight control stalk. That new stalk also comes with the "Auto" position for the headlights. In esssence, you need a combination switch out of a Juke SL. I've seen it mentioned that any year switch will do, and I've seen where it's year specific. To be safe, I ordered the year specific switch for my 2015 Juke: 25560-JV51E . This is the switch specified for 2011 - 2015 Jukes. Later Jukes use 25560-JV57E . Both part numbers have both the foglight switch and the "Auto" switch for the headlights. Changing the switch is easy. Two screws hold the steering column shroud in place and are removed. The upper shroud is removed and the lower shroud is lowered a bit. Two screws hold the combination switch in place and are removed. The switch is then raised slightly while you remove the electrical harness plug. The switch is then raised up and removed. Installation is the reverse of removal. I'll be adding a post below this with pictures to make this easier at a later date. Total time: about 10 minutes.

2. Optical sensor:
You need "Controller ASSY-lighting; part # 28576-5RA0A". This is a replacement for part # 285761HH0A. Both part numbers are functionally the same. If you buy it new from Nissan you'll get the first part # no matter which one you order. I'll cover installation with the trim piece below. BTW, all Jukes that have automatic temperature/climate control have an optical sensor to help with the climate control. That sensor is different than this one. So. if you have climate control, you'll end up with two optical sensors. Also, if you have climate control already, the wiring is already in place for the second optical sensor. I have no idea if that wiring is in place for Jukes with no Climate control. Hopefully someone will chime in on this thread with that information. If, so, I'll update this post.

3. Trim piece:
The trim piece holds the two optical sensors. It is located on the dash at the base of the windshield on the passenger side. BTW, the two sensors are different sizes. You can cut a hole in your current trim piece, or you can buy the trim piece for an SL. Pictures are included here to help you determine what you want to do. If you have climate control, you'll have and need two sensors in that trim piece. If you don't you'll need just the one sensor for the "Auto" headlight control. If you use the trim piece out of an SL in that case, you'll need the other sensor just to plug the second hole in the trim piece. A better choice would probably be to cut a hole in your current trim piece so you don't have to plug the second hole. Installation is easy and takes seconds. Use a screwdriver to pop out the trim piece, unplug the harness from the sensors, pop the sensors out. Reverse for installation. If you have climate control, the plug you need will be taped to the harness you pull out. If you don't have climate control, I don't know if the harness plug will be there... If it isn't you could always buy the plug and BCM pins and wire it in. That's not as difficult as it sounds. I'm guessing though that the wiring is there... On the trim piece there is already an outline for the hole that needs to be cut. Look at the pictures for clarification. The part # for the SL trim piece is 68486-1KA3A.

4. BCM Reprograming:
OK, once all of the parts are in place you need to have the configuration of the BCM reprogrammed by a Nissan Dealer. The procedure is listed in the 2015 Juke Factory Service Manual on pages BCS-79 & 80. I've included a picture of those pages here. (BTW, the yellow highlighting on page BCS-80 is for the options on my vehicle. Yours may be different and should be set accordingly.) Other year's manuals can be found here:
https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Juke/ I recommend bringing a copy of the procedure to the dealer for two reasons. One, they might not even realize it can be done and turn you away. Two, you're paying by the hour for shop charges. If your tech has to find the procedure and figure it out, you'll be paying more for this procedure.

NOTE: THIS POST WILL BE EDITED TO ADD PICTURES SHORTLY.

BTW, there is an anomaly with the 2015 Juke compared to all other years. The headlights are supposed to come on with the windshield wipers, as well as in low light. All other year's but the 2015 service manuals list how this logic is controlled. The 2015 FSM does NOT list how to control this logic. In fact the method listed in the other years is specifically mentioned not to function in the 2015. I have verified with an Autel scan tool that the other years logic control does not work on the 2015. Currently, turning on the wipers does NOT turn on my 2015 headlights while in AUTO. At this point the only option I have to get that feature working is another visit to the dealer, and even then I'm not sure they'll be able to figure it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
716 Posts
The Juke SL came with the "Auto" headlight feature that turns the headlights on and/or off based on ambient light and/or windshield wiper function.
Funny, my 2016 SL does not have the auto feature. Perhaps up here in Canada we are weird because we get the factory block heater and no auto lights. It has the 'hole' where the sensor would go but that's it. Wish it did come with it cuz how many times you get in to the car at 'night' and think the lights are on because YOU can see.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny, my 2016 SL does not have the auto feature. Perhaps up here in Canada we are weird because we get the factory block heater and no auto lights. It has the 'hole' where the sensor would go but that's it. Wish it did come with it cuz how many times you get in to the car at 'night' and think the lights are on because YOU can see.
Easy enough to add. :) I'm curious though, do you have the "AUTO" position or your headlight stalk? If you have that and a hole in the trim piece, I'd have to guess they screwed up when they assembled your Juke and forgot to install the sensor. A lot of times options like that are actually installed on this side of the Pacific so as to avoid some of the import taxes.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Like I said, no auto feature. There is the 'hole' blocked off by a filler and a regular stalk. Don't ya think if my headlight control said 'auto' I would think differently. Not my first rodeo here.
Appreciate all your info but I hate 'adding' things to a car that should come standard with this stuff. What I pay and what I get are 2 totally different things. Hence why I basically said f you to the 7 year bumper to bumper they gave me by getting a tune. Fun>auto headlights imho. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled up the Canada brochures and Auto lights weren't available as an option in Canada. I never would have guessed... Must be some Canadian regulation or something I guess. Anyways, I updated the first post; thanks for the heads up!

·
Super Moderator
10,126 Posts
I think in the US. Gen 1. SV did not have Auto headlights but the SL did ?

·
Super Moderator
1,654 Posts
I have a 2013 SL with auto lights and on with wipers. I think the auto lights was an option on S and SV, but standard on SL.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If it's any consolation... the auto feature doesn't work if you use your fog lights. Having the fog light switch to the ON position forces the headlights to always be on while in the AUTO position.

So if you use your fog lights all the time, this is all useless ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it's any consolation... the auto feature doesn't work if you use your fog lights. Having the fog light switch to the ON position forces the headlights to always be on while in the AUTO position.

So if you use your fog lights all the time, this is all useless ;)
Actually, on my 2015 SV with the procedure above done, AUTO works just fine with foglights. The only difference turning on the foglight switch makes is that the foglights come on with the headlights as ambient light decreases, and turn off with the headlights as ambient light increases.

·
Registered
68 Posts
As mentioned on the fog light thread, it looks like you only need a switch and a diode for auto lights (as well as the programming), instead of needing a different stalk. Output 4 to Input 3 on the BCM.

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 10.27.53 PM.png

1 - 12 of 12 Posts