Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2012 Nissan Juke SL 120k miles. Was on a short (10min) drive, 45 degrees F outside, so not hot.

P1778 step motor/function is the code I got

About 5 min into the drive, slowed down in traffic, when accelerating normally back up to ~50mph the rpms would spike to 5-6 and make a whining noise. I gingerly drove it to destination where it sat for 1.5 hours. On the way home, same thing. If go VERY lightly on the pedal, it'll accelerate at a constant ~3 rpm, but if I try and give the gas even the slightest extra nudge, the rpms will instantly spike up to 5-6, very prominent sound. I got it up to 50 mph and it would be around 2.5-3rpm. When slowing down at a stop sign, laying off the gas, it would stay at 3rpm and it sounded/felt like it wasn't "downshifting". I did not notice any jerking or shaking.

I am not very car savvy, but I can follow videos/instructions. I hope the description of my problem makes sense. Does anyone have some ideas of where I should start with this problem? The nearest Nissan dealership is approximately 60mi/1 hour away.

Video showing the problem:
Juke acceleration problem

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Sounds like the CVT transmission. Do you know when the CVT fluid was last changed/serviced? Nissan recommends every 60k miles. On the forum here we recommend 30-35k, as that is when the juke typically starts showing symptoms like you are experiencing. If this is a new, overnight issue that hasn't been developing over time, then something major may have occurred and there may be a more serious issue. If this has been happening regularly and has finally hit a tipping point, then maybe fluid service is all that is needed. I recommend dealerships for that service for about $200, but others here will suggest doing it yourself, as it is not difficult, but there is a specific procedure for it. Forum search or the factory service manuals (available with forum search) are your best bet if you want to do it yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response. I do not know when the CVT fluid was last changed/serviced. I always brought it into the dealership for regular service/oil changes up until 1 year ago when I moved. So, besides the last 3 oil changes, the nissan dealership has handled it, so from what you said, they may not have done it since around 60k miles?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I wouldn't gamble on the assumption that they did it on their own. I would call the dealership and ask if it had been completed. In my experience, dealerships are connected and all have access to vehicle history with Nissan.

If it has not been completed ever, you should ask for them to inspect the CVT and share your symptoms. Hopefully the fluid service is their reccomendation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't gamble on the assumption that they did it on their own. I would call the dealership and ask if it had been completed. In my experience, dealerships are connected and all have access to vehicle history with Nissan.

If it has not been completed ever, you should ask for them to inspect the CVT and share your symptoms. Hopefully the fluid service is their reccomendation.
I drove it just now down the street and the check engine light popped on, you can see the rpm's go crazy and I'm very slowly accelerating. This was in normal drive mode.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I drove it just now down the street and the check engine light popped on, you can see the rpm's go crazy and I'm very slowly accelerating. This was in normal drive mode.
You need to service the CVT. I recommend doing it yourself, it's even easier than an oil change. I would also try and get that code you had pop up but I'm betting it's ultimately related to the CVT. Looks like your car is stuck in "limp mode" which is usually triggered by the CVT over heating or falling out of expected parameters, it almost is never triggered by an issue with the engine itself. If your CVT fluid is toast or the level is way off it'll cause you to go into limp mode basically immediately.

If you don't have a way to read the code basically any autoparts store will do it for free.

Reactions: grapenuts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need to service the CVT. I recommend doing it yourself, it's even easier than an oil change. I would also try and get that code you had pop up but I'm betting it's ultimately related to the CVT. Looks like your car is stuck in "limp mode" which is usually triggered by the CVT over heating or falling out of expected parameters, it almost is never triggered by an issue with the engine itself. If your CVT fluid is toast or the level is way off it'll cause you to go into limp mode basically immediately.

If you don't have a way to read the code basically any autoparts store will do it for free.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Google search that code. This was the first result (applies to Altima):

·
Registered
745 Posts
My first CVT had that same trouble code at some point after it went KABOOM!

It's a generic, stupid code that hardly correlated to it being just a Step Motor.

I know people have had decent results changing the entire Valvebody out but that's just a band-aid fix.

I would get it actually diagnosed by a professional mechanic but im guessing your CVT is gone the way of the dinosaurs unfortunately.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Google search that code. This was the first result (applies to Altima):

My first CVT had that same trouble code at some point after it went KABOOM!

It's a generic, stupid code that hardly correlated to it being just a Step Motor.

I know people have had decent results changing the entire Valvebody out but that's just a band-aid fix.

I would get it actually diagnosed by a professional mechanic but im guessing your CVT is gone the way of the dinosaurs unfortunately.
Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it. Since I am not mechanically experienced, I gave the Nissan dealership a call and left a message. I'm sure they'll want me to bring it in. Not sure what this will cost me, but I assume it wouldn't be worth it given its a 2012 with 125k

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yeah see what they say. I definitely wouldn't tell them "i think the trans is blown" cause they'll just agree with you lol

I'm crossing my fingers but with that many miles and the issues you're describing that trans is probably just very very tired internally.

Also with how stupid this car market is right now i wouldnt necessarily say it isnt worth it lol but depends on the numbers you get quoted and what's wrong with it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts