Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just had my frozen belt tensioner replaced. My A/C Compressor Clutch pulley is in bad shape and is the cause of a whine gremlin that I've been chasing.

The dealer suggested replacement of the whole compressor w/clutch. The AC works fine, so I don't want to spend the quoted $1500 Canadian when only a $150 aftermarket clutch kit will solve the problem.

Problem once again on the Juke is access. It doesn't look like there's enough room to pull the clutch assembly off due to the frame a few inches away. It also doesn't look like unbolting the compressor and lowering/moving it still connected would work.

Do I need to go through the hassle and expense of a refrigerant discharge, totally pulling out the compressor, swapping the clutch assembly, re-install and recharge? It looks like just pulling the compressor will require the same process of an alternator removal (bumper, intercooler, etc) to get proper access.

There is a YouTube video where the guy pulled the two cross member bolts to drop it down a few inches to pull the compressor out. I wonder if that may give room to remove the clutch without disconnecting the compressor.

Any tips or suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
10,728 Posts
How did this work out for you?

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It stopped whining that night. I suspect that bad tensioner was putting bad stress on the other pulleys and it just needed a few drives to settle. All is working well.

I won't replace the A/C clutch assembly until needed, but I'd still like to know the process for the future. I would probably just have a trusted local shop do it though. If I go through the hassle of unbolting the compressor to drop it down for access while connected and it doesn't work out, I'd rather it be them and they can do a reclaim and disconnect the lines, etc.

·
Super Moderator
10,728 Posts
Yeah the AC is a lot of work especially since they reclaim and refill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts