Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had put down a deposit to purchase a used vehicle from Joe Ippolito at 2j-Racing pending a Pre-Purchase Inspection. After the inspection and from documents provide by the seller, it was determined the specifications of the vehicle were mis-advertised. The seller initially reported the vehicle as being modified to have 334 horsepower but records showed 242 horsepower. Once this was brought to his attention, he stated he had mixed up the numbers and that he meant to state 334 torque and not horsepower (which I would imagine he would know).

At that point, I requested return of my deposit but seller refused. He then said he had documents to show higher horsepower for the vehicle. However, at this point, I do not have confidence in the seller or what he states regarding the vehicle. He ultimately has not provided me with any product or service and notes he will not refund it stating I am obligated to buy his car. Currently, in the court system. Reviewing for future buyers to beware of 2J Racing practices.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
From a consumer protections standpoint someone will be able to give you some better feedback. Sorry to hear about your possible troubles with 2J. You'll find there are mixed feelings around here about them. Some success stories but also bad experiences. It sounds to me like you're positioned to buy their shop's Juke?

I've had almost nothing but positive experiences with my direct dealings with Joe and many of my aftermarket parts are his. Had some really really poor experiences with parts and service as well. I am not real sure I'd buy a car from em though.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
That isn't right, sorry to hear about that. Hard to believe a shop wouldn't return a deposit, especially if you never received the vehicle. You did the right thing not receiving the vehicle though. I've had good luck with them, but I simply bought bolt-on parts and some internal engine parts. Damn, that sucks.

I've been praising their parts, but now this isn't right. Hopefully you get it sorted out and you get the deposit back. Good luck man.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The only 2j product on my juke is the crank pulley, mainly because I purchased all my other mods before 2j got into the juke game. So, I don't have any skin in the game here.

I do want to say this smells fishy, but not from the 2j side. I'm betting there is more to the story than presented here. I definitely remember him posting the vehicle for sale on the mjw facebook group and at that time, dyno sheets were shared and he made a disclaimer about actual hp/tq. It all looked pretty straightforward to me. Those in the juke community have been able to "follow" the development of that vehicle, making any last minute bait and switch very unlikely. The list of mods and the history of that vehicle is long, so any truly interested party should have had more than enough info about it in order to make an informed decision. When you overpay for a vehicle like that (it was significantly higher than market price for a stock juke) you aren't just buying the dyno number. An informed buyer should know the mod list, the rep and history of the seller and vehicle, and be able to clearly understand the performance expectations from that vehicle. Not just the dyno number, but the real world capability of the vehicle based on those mods.

You shouldn't have put a deposit down until you were comfortable with making the purchase. By placing your deposit, you are promising to either buy the vehicle or surrender the deposit. Real estate works the exact same way. 2j is a business and by taking that vehicle off the market, he incurs costs from both capital investment and from loss of sales from another qualified buyer. This is why deposits exists. You are not obligated to buy it. But you are obligated to surrender your deposit, based on the terms of your purchase agreement. If this is not true, then, as I stated, there is more to the story than has been presented thus far.

I hope you get it straightened out, but I for one will tell you that I an aware of and understand many examples of both the positive and negative sentiments towards 2j. With that knowledge, I would do business with him/them in the future. I would not treat it like a deal at a local car stereo shop or hassle them with advice solicitations directly or "free quotes" just so you can have someone give you a parts list which can be taken elsewhere. If you are serious about doing business with them, you will end up happy. If you aren't serious about doing business, expect to be promptly ushered out of line to make room for the next paying customer.

You placed a deposit on a modified, custom vehicle with a lot of available transparency and history. I'm not sure why you would expect any other outcome from this.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
If the vehicle is mis-represented that might be a problem. If the owner comes back a week later after the sale cause he doesn't like the color.........then he is SOL. The product was never even received as that would be an admission that everything was agreed upon. Clearly the OP after the inspection, which sounded like it might be a pre-requisite to the sale, and some digging discovered there was some mis-representation. If Joe had lost a potential sale he could have documented the interested buyer via prior e-mail, paperwork, etc. If not, then there wasn't one. I know I keep detailed e-mail chains going back 7-8 years, for audits, not that hard to do. Sounds like he had no serious buyers until the OP, and clearly isn't relinquishing the deposit cause Joe knows there aren't many prospects lining up, otherwise he wouldn't care. If someone wants the product, they close the deal.....fairly simple.

Can't recall ever asking someone for a deposit for something I've sold or was selling. When a purchaser backs out, I get pissed, especially after I've spent hours providing detailed information pertaining to the item. I then get more motivated to sell it to someone else to pay that person back for wasting my time. I've had the same guy come back several months later wasting my time hour after hour giving all the documentation, then I go back to my records and find out it's the same idiot. Felt good telling that potential buyer to stuff it.

Again, if you have a product worth selling, it sells. If it don't, you are willing to accept a deposit, then it makes sense when you don't want to relinquish it. But it doesn't make good business sense for 2J racing as there is more potential lost revenue from a bad reputation. Like I said, I personally like 2j products, talked to Joe couple of times and he was timely on my build-to-order stuff. Just commenting.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Reading these stores is so wonky to me. Joe did such amazing work on my car I have nothing but good things to say. Fixed all the s*** the other shop did, a TON of it for free.

Not that I don't believe you or whatever, because I do believe you. I just wonder why this has happened lately

·
Super Moderator
10,418 Posts
Then the remote tune issues. 4 out of 5 here never got their tunes finished ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Never got mine done, hardly any responses. Finally got it done with drunkman in under 2 weeks. Well over a year with 2j and no tune ... will not buy anything from them again

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice and comments all. We were able to work it out with the owner at 2J Racing and he made good with refund of the deposit. Can't comment on quality of work as this was my only experience with the shop and I don't have much experience doing modifications myself, but I can at least say he made good on the refund. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Very glad to hear that. Glad it worked out.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
whaaaaat, difficult to get a deposit back from 2J? Misrepresentation and lack of communication? Noooooooo. Never heard of such a thing. :sneaky:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts