Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having an issue in first to second gear it surges like its slipping but not all the time. anybody know what causes this? if I put it in manual mode and shift it does not do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We can drive it for a week and it doesn't do anything but then all of sudden it will do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have it properly diagnosed at a repair center that is equipped to do so. A nissan dealership is my recommendation.
I tried that they said nothing was wrong because we can’t make it do it all the time. It only does it once in awhile. And when we took it it stopped doing it.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Having an issue in first to second gear it surges like its slipping but not all the time. anybody know what causes this? if I put it in manual mode and shift it does not do it.
That doesn't make much sense. If you're in "manual mode" then that would be a first to second, the CVT just goes up and down all the time and you feel nothing. If you are feeling a "surge" it really doesn't make sense "continuously variable transmission" there are no 'gears' 🤷‍♂️ like FR said, take it in AGAIN as I think this may be operator error?!?!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That doesn't make much sense. If you're in "manual mode" then that would be a first to second, the CVT just goes up and down all the time and you feel nothing. If you are feeling a "surge" it really doesn't make sense "continuously variable transmission" there are no 'gears' 🤷‍♂️ like FR said, take it in AGAIN as I think this may be operator error?!?!
Not operator error it only does it in automatic. It does not to it in manual mode. And it doesn’t always do it. Low rpm pulling off from stop sign it surges as if it can’t think of the gear to be in.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I think this is just a case of a cold cvt revving up to 4k rpms and wanting to stick there. Mine did that at about 38k miles off a cold start with a spirited right hand turn (pulling out into traffic while leaving the neighborhood first thing in the morning). CVT fluid service fixed it 100%. Fluid service / replacement is recommended every 30-35k miles around here. If it's been longer than that, do it asap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think this is just a case of a cold cvt revving up to 4k rpms and wanting to stick there. Mine did that at about 38k miles off a cold start with a spirited right hand turn (pulling out into traffic while leaving the neighborhood first thing in the morning). CVT fluid service fixed it 100%. Fluid service / replacement is recommended every 30-35k miles around here. If it's been longer than that, do it asap.
It’s not when the car is cold that’s the thing. But yeah it’s probably time for a oil change.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
It’s not when the car is cold that’s the thing. But yeah it’s probably time for a oil change.
He was talking about a CVT flush and fill not an oil change.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Worn out belt and oil pump.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
There is a valvebody. If there aren't any codes, then datalogging with CVTz50 is the next step. You are looking for commanded ratios vs. actual ratio, they should be identical. This is an early sign of CVT death. If you video this next time we could see it. Mine had it, I thought nothing of it at the time, then it got worse. Swapping the valvebody seemed to help but it was still there. Switching to AMSOIL also reduced it greatly, but still there. The ratio control on the valvebody is a stepper motor, lever arm, and control piston. When it jams up the TCM has trouble knowing what the correct ratios are, so you get this "surging". Replacing the valvebody can greatly reduce this but this is an early indicator that belt is about worn out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a valvebody. If there aren't any codes, then datalogging with CVTz50 is the next step. You are looking for commanded ratios vs. actual ratio, they should be identical. This is an early sign of CVT death. If you video this next time we could see it. Mine had it, I thought nothing of it at the time, then it got worse. Swapping the valvebody seemed to help but it was still there. Switching to AMSOIL also reduced it greatly, but still there. The ratio control on the valvebody is a stepper motor, lever arm, and control piston. When it jams up the TCM has trouble knowing what the correct ratios are, so you get this "surging". Replacing the valvebody can greatly reduce this but this is an early indicator that belt is about worn out.
Thank you for the help. is there a good app for iOS? I couldn't find one. on belt worn out wold it always do it? of is it intermittent like I am describing?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Just search for CVTz50, it's an Apple/Android app you can download. You need a Bluetooth OBDII transmitter, just search here or I can send you what I got on Amazon.

That's hard to say. Mine was consistent surging in manual mode. It shouldn't matter because at steady cruise the CVT should be locked into a single ratio anyway, not sure why it doesn't happen in manual mode. Honestly, I think it's not going to matter one way or another. When the CVT is working correctly.....it doesn't do the surging regardless of intermittent or constant. When it starts wearing out, you get these weird little symptoms that seem like nothing. At first I thought it was the engine or vacuum leak, but it wasn't that unfortunately.

The dealership, who knows with those guys. They don't see a code means the transmission is perfect, they won't touch it. Same guys that tell you to never change the oil. Start with the CVTz50, it'll answer all your questions. Post up the datalog on this thread and we can all have a look at it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just search for CVTz50, it's an Apple/Android app you can download. You need a Bluetooth OBDII transmitter, just search here or I can send you what I got on Amazon.

That's hard to say. Mine was consistent surging in manual mode. It shouldn't matter because at steady cruise the CVT should be locked into a single ratio anyway, not sure why it doesn't happen in manual mode. Honestly, I think it's not going to matter one way or another. When the CVT is working correctly.....it doesn't do the surging regardless of intermittent or constant. When it starts wearing out, you get these weird little symptoms that seem like nothing. At first I thought it was the engine or vacuum leak, but it wasn't that unfortunately.

The dealership, who knows with those guys. They don't see a code means the transmission is perfect, they won't touch it. Same guys that tell you to never change the oil. Start with the CVTz50, it'll answer all your questions. Post up the datalog on this thread and we can all have a look at it.
Yeah it only does it in auto. If it starts and I put it in Manual mode it stops the surging. It feels like as if it’s a hydraulic motor low on fluid if that makes sense. I haven’t even noticed the tach moving With the surge either. To me it doesn’t make sense. I have a Bluetooth reader I will check out the app and post.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I'd check the oil level too, probably that was mentioned already. Manual mode I'm going to guess runs a higher pulley pressure, possibly higher clamping loads under those conditions. When I had a completely worn out CVT the rpms only surged 100-150, barely detectable on the tach, but it felt huge. I was mystified for awhile but then figured it out. A small 25-50 rpm surge wouldn't be seen on the tach but would still be felt. I'm thinking this is that, you are picking it up early under light clamping loads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts