Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Juke SV AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Our 2016 AWD Juke SV just passed 60k miles, so I did a transmission fluid change. There were no driveability problems, and no leaks, but fluid looked dark - I doubt it had ever been changed.

Only 2.5 Quarts came out (I was expecting something between 3 and 4 quarts), so I'm concerned the original was low.

I replaced that with 3 quarts, and the car appears to drive, perhaps a little better (but that could be my imagination!)

However, there is no CVT dipstick fitted to the car (just the locking cap, which is normal for 2016). I would really like to check the level properly. I see a lot of Nissan CVT dipsticks listed on Ebay...and it looks like they would fit (cap looks the same), but does anyone know a part number that has the correct level marked? I see some listings that say 31086-JA00A fits all 4-cylinder Nissan CVT's in a range of years (including 2016), but does not specifically list the Juke.

If not - does anyone know how far below the 'top' of the fill tube the level should be? (then I could presumably get a dipstick, check the length and mark the correct level on it if incorrect)

Thanks in advance

-Steve

·
Administrator
12,520 Posts
Gen 2 Jukes do not have a dip stick from what I remember.

Your Juke should use NS-3 fluid.

The CVT holds 8.375 quarts. It will not all drain out as there is the Torque converter and other areas of th CVT that will not drain. I would have expected 4 -5 quarts to have come out.

Download the FSM below and start at page 440.

Refer to the last post in this thread by Fast Religion.

·
Registered
2016 Juke SV AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gen 2 Jukes do not have a dip stick from what I remember.

Your Juke should use NS-3 fluid.

The CVT holds 8.375 quarts. It will not all drain out as there is the Torque converter and other areas of th CVT that will not drain. I would have expected 4 -5 quarts to have come out.

Download the FSM below and start at page 440.

Refer to the last post in this thread by Fast Religion.

Thanks - wish I had found that before I started. It also explains why only 2.5 quarts comes out of the pan when you remove the drain plug...

I now plan to do do it the correct way - I've ordered more fluid, and the adapter for the Overflow plug. I'll do a complete change, having seen the color of what came out.

However, I'm having problems locating the part (or part number) for the o-ring. I do have a box full of O-rings, but want to make sure it's the right part given the criticality.... When I search online, the Nissan parts catalogue only seems to show the entire transaxle.... Do you know the part number, or an alternative you've used successfully.

-Steve

·
Administrator
12,520 Posts
I do not.

I would go to a local dealer and pick one up if possible.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Thanks - wish I had found that before I started. It also explains why only 2.5 quarts comes out of the pan when you remove the drain plug...

I now plan to do do it the correct way - I've ordered more fluid, and the adapter for the Overflow plug. I'll do a complete change, having seen the color of what came out.

However, I'm having problems locating the part (or part number) for the o-ring. I do have a box full of O-rings, but want to make sure it's the right part given the criticality.... When I search online, the Nissan parts catalogue only seems to show the entire transaxle.... Do you know the part number, or an alternative you've used successfully.

-Steve
Fwiw the Juke comes out of the factory with just a regular washer, not a crush washer, for the cvt pan bolt. At least mine did. No idea why, assuming the fluid is simply less likely to leak past a bolt and the washer just helps distribute pressure against the pan, but it's reusable so probably not worth worrying about.

·
Registered
2016 Juke SV AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Fwiw the Juke comes out of the factory with just a regular washer, not a crush washer, for the cvt pan bolt. At least mine did. No idea why, assuming the fluid is simply less likely to leak past a bolt and the washer just helps distribute pressure against the pan, but it's reusable so probably not worth worrying about.
My 2016 definitely came with a (copper) crush washer on the pan - I've bought a bunch of those, as they are very inexpensive.

The threaded plug that goes into the transmission casing (and plugs the refill hole) has an o-ring. The Factory Service Manual (kindly shared by Macgyver above), states that MUST be changed each time the plug is replaced....so I've bought 3.

Part number is 315261XA01 (and they are expensive - nearly $9 each from my dealer). I was unable to find this part number without visiting the dealer, but I've now discovered that it is shown on the factory parts drawing for the "Torque Convertor Housing and Case". It also appears (according to the dealer, and the copy of the parts list he gave me) that part number (and most of the other related parts) are only valid from 09/2015 to 08/2016 build dates, so I assume there were changes going on, which might explain why your car is different.

UPDATE: The part number above is not correct, at least not for my car (2016 Juke SV 4WD), even though it IS listed in the parts manual. It is far too large.The O-ring I removed from the car is about 15mm outside diameter and 11mm inside diameter (and therefore 2mm diameter cross section). These measurements might not be exact (tough to use calipers to measure a flexible o-ring!). I used a replacement out of an auto-parts store kit, so not sure what official size that is. Note that the O-ring on the CTA7428 filler tool (see below) is a lot smaller - but that's because it screws into an additional (smaller) set of threads inside the housing and seals deeper in the hole.

ALSO: Hope the following is useful for anyone else doing the job:

Following the service manual instructions, I drained three times from the transmission oil pan (just under 3 quarts each time), and each time refilled through the overflow plug in the bottom of the torque converter housing, starting and running the car and moving through the gears each time it was drained/refilled. Make sure you have a drip tray to catch the fluid as you swap from filler adapter to plug!!

I bought the CTA Tools 7428 filler adapter (which screws into the hole where the overflow plug fits) and the CT Tools 7400 pressure filling tank. While these were expensive, they definitely made the job a lot easier. Note that the factory manual has the conversion from quarts to liters incorrect (they have 3 Liters= 2 5/8 quarts) . I refilled with 3 liters each time, which after the inevitable spillage meant I only had 1/2 Quart left from the 10 quarts I had purchased. But, I'm confident that I did a complete refill and now have the tools to do it in the future. I also have the Nissan Foxwell OBD2 scanner which read the live Transmission Fluid temperature without a problem (instead of the Nissan CONSULT tool), but found that using an IR remote temperature gun on the torque converter case was a lot easier, and gave almost exactly the same temperature reading.

-Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts