Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, i am a new member and our problem happened just on Sunday. My wife has a 2015 1.5 DCI Tekna. Whilst we were driving on the motorway at 60mph the engine cut out suddenly and a strange wining noise came. We rolled off the to side and got out. Called the AA and the mechanic checked the battert 11.7 Volts, he charged it through his van and it went up to 13.7 V.

He then asked me to get in the car and try to start it, when i tried it made that strange wining spinning noise and engine didint even attempt to fire up or start. He said instantly its the cambelt snapped and crank spinning freely. and could have caused significant damage to valves, rods, stems and even engine block.

Whislt i was waiting for the garage to get back to me, i decided to take the covers of and check the belts. It was a but fiddly job but i managed to remove few things out the way and opened the side section to check the belts.

Surprisingly all the belts are still intact and has decent tension on them, not loose or anything. Nissan says cam belt change at 5 years or 90,000 miles and the car since being on traffic its 6 years old and 74,000 miles.

I tried to start it again once more to see what happens but it making the same wining noise and no life at the engine itself.

What could be the cause of this and any potential fix ideas at all please? Thank you everyone.

·
Administrator
12,969 Posts
Belts or chains ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts