Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the third time in last two weeks my daughter’s 2014Juke with 19,000 miles would not start when pushing the start button as shenormally does. To be specific, foot on the brake and pushing the start button,the engine does not try to crank and it has a fully charged battery. After eachof these no start occurrences, the enginewould start up normally after waitinga few minutes.

This is what I know so far:
The original (30 months old) battery is holding a 12.5V charge after 10hours of down time with no lights or accessories left on or plugged in (noparasitic voltage leaks that I know of).
With the engine running, the battery voltage is reading 13.5 to 14V (thebattery seems to be receiving a good charge).
The original key FOB battery that was reading 2.8V has been replaced with anew battery reading 3.2V and the intermittent no-start problem happened again.

My daughter is home from college on summer break now and will soon be makingher 15 hour interstate drive back to school. I really want to get a real fixfor this problem before she goes.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
See if you can push the pedal down with your hand and look up at the pedal shaft so you can watch the switch in action. A few drops of a lube might get the switch back in action to 100%

·
Registered
265 Posts
...could be a defective brake pedal switch. The switch is not telling the system that the driver is depressing the brake pedal when the driver tries to start the engine. The fix is to replace the brake pedal switch...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. My daughters out running some close to home errands in the Juke now. I'll check the free-play in the switch when she gets back. If the switch shaft is not moving freely, I may add a touch of light lube oil to it and see if the no-start problem repeats over the next couple of days. She has 6 months left on the warranty so the switch should be free from Nissan service. The problem is going to be having the no-start problem repeat itself for the Nissan service guys and get them to acknowledge that the brake switch really is a problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We dropped off the Juke at the local Nissan dealer this morning with the hope that they would look directly at the brake pedal switch as a possible cause for the intermittent push button start problems. Of course the Juke is starting normally today so Nissan service said they would only do the general electrical diagnostics as it relates to the push button start. Without a stuck brake pedal switch there is no problem. After a good bit of prompting, I did get them to write on the service ticket that they would also look at brake pedal switch and make sure that its actuation was working properly. I'm not sure by just us telling them that we suspect a sticking brake pedal switch is causing the intermittent starting problem that they will on their own replace the $44 switch. I hope they are good guys and least check the switch for proper function and signs of abnormal ware. We should be hearing back from them shortly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was not able to go with my daughter to pick up her car this afternoon, but it played out as I expected. They told her that they were able to start the car several times throughout the day with no issues. They also found no starting or charging system issues. She was told that they checked the brake switch and found no problems with it, but they say that they added some lube to the switch. Without the switch malfunctioning for service techs we would have had to pay the price for a new switch and the labor for them to replace it. I'll check the switch out myself tomorrow night and replace it if it does not function effortlessly. Since lube was added to the switch and the intermittent start problem does not reoccur, I will have to assume a sticky switch was the problem. My daughters still in town for a couple of more weeks, so that gives us time to see if the starting problem comes back. I can also show her how to unstick the switch if it were to give her a problem on the road. She also can use her AAA card at worst case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having that problem now the brake peddle gets hard and your not able to push it down to start the car. They are trying to figure it out and of course it's not doing it with them. I had the same problem with 2012 Nissan Juke and they said it was the brake switch we replaced it and same thing started happening again. I traded it in for a 2014 model and damn if almost 3years old it's doing it again and they say we can't find anything wrong with it. Time to just go to another type of car

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would love to know what eventually happened with this, I'm having the SAME problems with my 2013. The technicians at Nissan said they couldn't do anything since it started for them, instead they bent the receptors in the fob so it connected better with the battery- that was 24 hours ago, one fob now no longer works and I was stuck again today. The first time it didn't start, the lights came on and no message on the dash, the brake pedal seemed stiff and would not depress (thought it was pressure in the line). Second time, thought it was a dead battery in my fob. Tonight, had both key fobs with me and it still did it. I've only had my Juke for two months, worried about getting stuck in winter (yes, I have AAA, but still...brrr).

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
If your brake pedal is stiff. That means a vacuum leak in the brake booster.

Press the pedal hard so it releases the brake switch. Then she should start.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check to see if your brake lights are coming on when you’re pressing brake to start. If not then it’s definitely the connection plug at the brake pedal. Just had this same issue on 2011. Just unplug connector and use something to slightly bend back each metal connection to make a more secure contact for each one.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
Check to see if your brake lights are coming on when you’re pressing brake to start. If not then it’s definitely the connection plug at the brake pedal. Just had this same issue on 2011. Just unplug connector and use something to slightly bend back each metal connection to make a more secure contact for each one.
Great Tip !!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sadly I have been having this same issue replaced the switch 2 times now bent plugs lights come on I hear what sounds like the shifter unlocking and all the dash light just not starting ..on/off up to about 30 times and still no start ..at times I can jump in and it starts first push ...I wanna take a BFH to it at times...but that would only cause me to do more damage!! I am at a loss with what the problem is.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
CHeck your battery cables and grounds and battery posts. Make sure its all clean.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts