Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I purchased this Juke this summer. Just under 80k. Now this winter I have started to have an issue. I had the dealership check it out and they found no issue. The problem is when I warm it up in the mornings (not always really cold out) . When I go to accelerate from 80 going to 100 I notice the RPMs revving high. Also does not seem like it is going into gear. For 100 km an hour RPMs when good run at 2100-2200 RPM and when I have the issue the RPMs are at 2500 and over. This is an on again off again situation. If I drop the speed back down to see if it will go into gear it sometimes takes a while. I usually drive it in normal mode but it also happens in eco mode. I am going to try sport mode and see.
Can anybody offer an HELP?

·
Super Moderator
2,051 Posts
CVT. Sounds normal. There are no “gears” for it to “go into”. Now if the RPMs are jumping or bouncing while you are accelerating (as in constant foot on the gas) then you could have an issue. What you’re describing though sounds normal for cold weather engine and transmission operation especially if the engine/transmission has not fully warmed up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand it needs to warm up. I let it run for at least 15 mins before driving. Then I'm driving on the highway. (roughly 40 mins) I run premium gas. Seems like this is not normal

·
Super Moderator
2,051 Posts
Warming up the engine does not warm up the CVT. Only driving will warm up the CVT.

Reactions: WeslyMKE

·
Super Moderator
11,318 Posts
The CVT cooler is warmed by the engine coolant so it will eventually warm the CVT oil up.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Idling will warm the cvt but on a very cold day it won't be enough with just 15min. The CVT does not start fully functioning until about 70-75c and on a cold day with 15min of idling you're probably sitting at 30-40c. You gotta pull out and just take it slow for a few miles while it warms up, or let the car idle for longer.

I have a heated garage so I don't notice this often but when visiting friends or family in the winter I have to really baby it a few miles or it sounds like it's really struggling. I don't even wait around really, let it idle 30sec or so and then go. It'll get to operating temperature in just a few minutes of driving just don't drive it hard at first.

But yeah it's unlikely anything is wrong, more you're just experiencing the CVTs reliance on heat to work. The fluid doesn't work properly at cold temps so the computer locks out certain higher ratios and really limits the torque until it is warm.

Also should add, fwiw, the temps we have been experiencing are very extreme. Any car is going to be sluggish or jerky pulling away at these temps even if you idle it a bit. Regular AT fluid turns to gel at these temps. Pulled away without warning it much in my xterra yesterday and the first couple shifts were crazy rough.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok the only think that I feel does not make sense is that after warming the car 20 mins then highway driving 30,mins it is normal. I then have to slow down and pick up speed again and that is when the RPMs shoot up again. but...then again after 5 -10 more mins it goes normal again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok the only think that I feel does not make sense is that after warming the car 20 mins then highway driving 30,mins it is normal. I then have to slow down and pick up speed again and that is when the RPMs shoot up again. but...then again after 5 -10 more mins it goes normal again.
Also I ran it in sport mode this morning, and it would not come down in rpms. ran at 2500-2700 for a good distance till I went 70kms and then it went down just under 2000 rpms

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Change your CVT fluid. Get Nissan NS2 fluid, 4 quarts. Use a fluid extractor to suck it out the fill tube and then replace with as much as what came out. Drive around for 30min and then check the level. It. At be slightly over the "hot" crosshatch markers but that is OK. If it's way over or under fill or remove as needed.

·
Super Moderator
2,051 Posts
ran at 2500-2700 for a good distance till I went 70kms and then it went down just under 2000 rpms
Something doesn't seem right with this statement. at speed (70kms ~= 45mph) my Juke will stick in that higher RPM (2500-2700) in sport mode. that's what sport mode is, it keeps the RPMs up and the CVT ratio in a lower ratio to reach the power band of the engine and produce more torque/acceleration quicker. I have never seen my RPMs drop below 2500 in sport mode at constant higher speed, only if I am slowing down to a stop. I have the same exact year, drivetrain and trim level as you.

as others have mentioned, get the CVT fluid changed. a dealership can do a drain and fill, or you can do it yourself with the correct fluid. As stated, make sure you put back in the amount that comes out because over or under filling the CVT is almost as bad if not worse than not changing the fluid every ~40k miles (~65k km).

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
CVT fluid change. These symptoms are exactly what happens as the fluid degrades. I had those symptoms, had fluid changed at dealership, fixed it 100%.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts