Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, got a 2012 Juke DIG-T with 83k miles on it, and there is no evidence that CVT (JF011E) fluid was ever changed in this car (no mentions in Carfax report and no markings on the CVT). I had multiple unrelated car mechanics advise me not to change CVT fluid at this point, as there are likely metal shavings accumulated in the pan that normally sit still but will be disturbed and not completely removed by a fluid change, and will kill the CVT. They advised to drive it until it starts to fail and then do a complete overhaul of the transmission. Some people I know also said that their CVTs died after they changed the fluid. Does any of this make sense to you? I see that this forum is full of advice to change CVT fluid, would you still advise to do the change at this point? Did anyone have any experience with CVT dying after fluid changes?
The car drives smoothly, but is pretty slow to accelerate from standstill and at low speeds, as if struggling, but then goes much faster after 2000-2500 rpm, not sure if this is normal for this car or not. I also have pretty bad fuel economy at 17-18 mpg combined, but I do a lot of city driving in a very hilly landscape and I don't drive very efficiently.
Any advice greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I would say that the forum gets a new member every 6mo or so with this exact story. A forum search can confirm.

Change the fluid (or have it changed at the dealership if you aren't up for the task yourself). If doing it yourself, the recommendation would be to do it once, then drive it for a significant amount of time (I can't remember the recommendation, again, forum search helps) then do it again. And if you really want to go crazy, do it a third time, which will have replaced all the fluid by then.

We reccomend every 30-35k miles between cvt fluid changes, more often if possible/reasonable/desired.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yup what Bargeld said. Do the spill and fill, its on the forums.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Its a simple procedure to change it and if you do it yourself you'll be able to see if there are any metal shavings on the oil pan magnet. I'm not a mechanic, but I've worked on all my vehicles after doing research and youtube tutorial videos which really help. Like Bargeld said, change it a couple of times so that all the oil is cycled through and replaced. Note that I just did my first CVT oil change at 100k miles and doing it again at 105k and 110k.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts