Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Let's not ignore the elephant in the room. The Nissan Juke is ugly. On one hand, Nissan should be commended for going out on a limb and not producing yet another two-box crossover. On the other hand, it's difficult to find a good angle from which to view the Juke at.

While it does look masculine and assertive, the design is a bizarre pastiche of different shapes and surfaces which are visually jarring. The only possible explanation is that the Nissan stylist responsible for the exterior decided to sketch his vision of what a Suzuki SX4 would look like when crossed with a blowfish.

As our day with the Juke wore on, the initial shock of its styling began to fade, but there is a real danger of this car being perceived as the Son of Aztek. Nissan's target demographic of "young, urban, connected males," who are obsessed with signaling their social status with ostentatious Polo shirts may also react negatively to a vehicle that's "so ugly, bro".

The interior is another mixed bag, with some very innovative touches mixed with some equally nasty, cheap hard plastic. The dash betrays the fact that this car was built to a price, with its expanse of black, grainy material that could have come from a Versa, while the center console lacks any useful storage place for iPods, cell phones and assorted gadgets that people carry with them.

While Nissan touts the gearshift surround as being styled like a sport bike's gas tank, complete with high-gloss paint, the money spent on this neat but useless feature should have gone into a high-quality, soft-touch dashboard, something that the average consumer is much more likely to notice and can be used by dealers as a selling point.

More: 2011 Nissan Juke Review - First Drive on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
92 Posts
finally a review that clearly lays out all the positive and negative things about the juke without sounding biased. definitely a good read. despite the looks i still want one. :D

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I wish they would quit harping on the cheap, hard plastic. What do they think this is, a Mercedes?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
not sure where I saw that; seems like I've seen commentary to the effect that because there were several "waves" of opportunities for the Canadian journalists to drive the thing, they all had to wait for the same day (today) to release their reviews. I'll see if I can find the reference.

ETA: can't seem to find it right now, and of course I may be wrong

·
Registered
447 Posts
This review isn't very trustworthy -- the AWD system is disappointing? Then why does everyone who has experience driving cars love this system? Also, complaining about plastic in a sub $25,000 car? Really?

·
Registered
21 Posts
"...While Nissan touts the gearshift surround as being styled like a sport bike's gas tank, complete with high-gloss paint, the money spent on this neat but useless feature should have gone into a high-quality, soft-touch dashboard..."

he does have a point. because everytime i'm driving around the city, stuck in
traffic, or weaving through mountain roads, a high-quality soft-touch dashboard
becomes pretty USEFUL... say... if i want to rest my head on it while on 5th gear.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
"...While Nissan touts the gearshift surround as being styled like a sport bike's gas tank, complete with high-gloss paint, the money spent on this neat but useless feature should have gone into a high-quality, soft-touch dashboard..."

he does have a point. because everytime i'm driving around the city, stuck in
traffic, or weaving through mountain roads, a high-quality soft-touch dashboard
becomes pretty USEFUL... say... if i want to rest my head on it while on 5th gear.

:D :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
I didnt mind the review. The plastic is what you get with a not so expencive car though you always want more then what you pay for so they are just writing like a consumer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Meh, I think it's just cause these people have driven Mercedes' and luxury brands, even if they know it's a low-price auto, they still somewhat expect there to be high-quality materials. When I saw this car's price for the first time I was pleasantly surprised. I'll be glad to have the glossy plastic, anything's an upgrade from a base '04 Sentra lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts