Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My daughter's 2011 Juke turns over but won't fire up.

This has happened about four times before, but each time disconnecting the battery for about thirty seconds, and then reconnecting it fixed it. This time we tried that a few times, until we eventually ran the battery down trying. We then disconnected the battery and connected it to a computerized battery charger / conditioner and let it charge to 100%. After reconnecting it still won't start.

All of the fuses are fine.

When turning on the car, I can hear the in-tank fuel pump whine for a couple seconds until the fuel system pressures up.

OBD2 is throwing no codes. I tried using my OBD2 reader to monitor the fuel rail pressure, in the event that there is a fuel rail pressure reading in there, but the OBD2 reader resets each time I try starting it, and the starting attempt stops before I can navigate to the sensor readings.

I tried spraying some starting fluid into the air intake to see if it would fire up (in an attempt to isolate the fuel delivery system from the electrical system) but no dice.

By the way, yesterday we started and drove it to the spot it's sitting in now.

Any ideas? Troubleshooting tips?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Original battery?
No. It has been replaced... pry a few years ago. I took the positive terminal off and cleaned it good. It is showing a 100% charge on my digital charger / conditioner.

Could a weak battery cause this?

Like I said, the car's been running fine. We started it yesterday, and moved it to the spot in the driveway where it's sitting now, so that we could work on the windshield wipers yesterday afternoon. I did have the car on, but not started for a while yesterday, to test the wipers. When we were done, we turned it off and locked it.

This morning it wouldn't start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok. The positive battery terminal was green and fuzzy. I took it off and cleaned it good, and charged the battery up to 100% with my Schumacher speed-charge. When I tried to start it again, it still wouldn't start, but I detected it was trying a little. I put my left foot on the brake and used my right foot to pump the fuel a bit, then held the throttle at about 50% and tried again. It failed to start a couple of times, but I could tell it was trying a little more and I could smell fuel, like I was starting to flood it (as if it has a carburetor, which it doesn't).

Finally I pumped the throttle a few times and held it at about 75% and tried again. Finally it sputtered and started rough. I pumped it gently, and it finally came to life and ran fine.

I let it idle about five minutes while I cleaned up my tools; then I shut it off and tried restarting it. This time it eagerly fired right up.

So I am at a loss as to what the deal is. Maybe it's time to trade it in and let it be someone else's prolen. My daughter wants a Subaru Outback, so maybe that's what we'll do. Other than this occasional starting issue, it's a really good car. It will though screw you about twice a year, with no explanation as to why.

·
Registered
720 Posts
It will though screw you about twice a year, with no explanation as to why.
My car has never screwed me and it's... modded. Seems weird to me that giving it gas while starting helped as you stated, it's not a carb car. Only "issue" I've ever had is when it's a cold day (say -5c) and it drops to like -30c it "struggles" to start but it goes every time. My thought with my issue is fuel compacting/contracting due to cold and the high pressure fuel pump isn't fully charged.
Sorry bout your luck, Outback's are nice big roomy cars and only decent if you get the 3.6.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My thought with my issue is fuel compacting/contracting due to cold and the high pressure fuel pump isn't fully charged.
Thanks for your help! She's graduating college in May with a degree in bio-medicine, and she's getting EMT certified this semester too. She's getting married shortly thereafter, so she's on her own as far as the Subaru goes.

·
Super Moderator
1,654 Posts
...I put my left foot on the brake and used my right foot to pump the fuel a bit, then held the throttle at about 50% and tried again. It failed to start a couple of times, but I could tell it was trying a little more and I could smell fuel, like I was starting to flood it (as if it has a carburetor, which it doesn't).

Finally I pumped the throttle a few times and held it at about 75% and tried again. Finally it sputtered and started rough. I pumped it gently, and it finally came to life and ran fine.
The Juke is fly-by-wire and ignores throttle input for the first few seconds of starting until it detects the engine has started and above a certain rpm. What you did was actually engage clear flood mode where the engine will disable the injectors and spark plugs and crank over a few times to blow out anything leftover in the cylinders. You could have a leaky injector that's flooding a cylinder, or just a plugged up fuel filter or a problem with fuel delivery (low pressure fuel pump or high pressure fuel pump).

·
Super Moderator
10,139 Posts
Dont spray starting fluid into the air intake. Its gotta go through the turbo etc etc to get to the motor.

These are not related but are cheap fixes.

If it doesnt start but cranks. Try holding the FOB at the push button start. Shift it in an out of park and drive.

Replace the FOB batteries with Non generic 3025's.

Replace the brake switch.

Clean both battery posts and bend the cables around a bit. The negative cable can get wonky.

Clean the contact areas of the other grounding straps in the engine bay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Juke is fly-by-wire and ignores throttle input for the first few seconds of starting until it detects the engine has started and above a certain rpm. What you did was actually engage clear flood mode where the engine will disable the injectors and spark plugs and crank over a few times to blow out anything leftover in the cylinders. You could have a leaky injector that's flooding a cylinder, or just a plugged up fuel filter or a problem with fuel delivery (low pressure fuel pump or high pressure fuel pump).
Thanks! I did order a new fuel pump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dont spray starting fluid into the air intake. Its gotta go through the turbo etc etc to get to the motor.
These are not related but are cheap fixes.
If it doesnt start but cranks. Try holding the FOB at the push button start. Shift it in an out of park and drive.
Replace the FOB batteries with Non generic 3025's.
Replace the brake switch.
Clean both battery posts and bend the cables around a bit. The negative cable can get wonky.
Clean the contact areas of the other grounding straps in the engine bay.
Thanks! This is good information for those who may come looking for solutions to this problem later. It may be me in about six months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts