Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2011 Juke that has a broken intake camshaft which lead to damage from trying to start it. The dealer quoted me $8200 to install a new long block. Since the car has about a $7500 Blue Book trade-in value, the answer was a definite "No thanks". i have since bought a used engine with 40,000 miles on it that one of the mechanics at work is going to drop in for me, (I work at a Toyot dealership.) He looked it up on All-Data and said it called for 27 hours. To me, that sounds more like an engine rebuild than a engine swap. Since I don't have access to All-Data at home, is there anybody out there who could look it up and tell me if it really is that involved ? He's wanting to charge me $1000-$1200 for the job. I don't have access to a service bay for long enough to do it myself, and it's probably biting off more that I want to chew. Any insights would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Welcome to the forum, dfw.

·
Super Moderator
4,070 Posts
I paid $800 for an engine swap on an older vehicle and thought that was a very good price. I swapped the engine out in my S-10 pick-up and would have gladly paid $1500 if I would have known the trouble that would be. I have all the right tools but everything has to be just right.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Super Moderator
10,727 Posts
Remember its twice the work. Removal and install. I would say the time is close. 8 hours out. 8 Hours in. Debugging time. So maybe 24.

·
Super Moderator
1,773 Posts
assuming all the tools are laid out and everything is setup perfectly to do the swap, 24 hours sounds right. the downpipe swap/install on the AWD Juke was timed by a previous sponsor here at a couple days of work. That was without a lift and also didn't require pulling the motor, but required removing just about everything else on top of and behind the engine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
1000 to 1200 is pretty fair, bought the 2J internals at got best quote 1500 for the swap and build from a garage I've been going to for years. jukes are fairly tough to work on

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
I have AllData and personally pursued doing a motor swap in my Juke (because well documented reasons: my engine sucks).
The numbers are accurate. The workload is real. It is not an easy motor to replace, unfortunately. Trust your mechanic and trust his labor rate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts