Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a decent amount of mileage on my car, and figured I would give everyone my thoughts.

Looks:
So, looks are completely subjective. However, since you are on a Juke forum I am assuming you like the looks of the car. If you haven't seen it, the pictures don't do it justice. I was interested in the car before it was out because it was unique, but when you see it in person, it can actually pull of the radical styling. My only qualm is with the wheel gaps. There just seems to be too much space between the car and the wheels.

Interior:
The "motorcycle fuel tank" looks really cool; definitely unique. I do wish that there was an armrest, but I can fix that. I have the light colored interior (cloth, I have an SV) and it brightens the car a lot. The first one I saw had the dark interior, and the light just makes it look much bigger on the inside. The ICON has been talked to death in the reviews; basically it is really cool. Problem: parts of the ICON disappear with polarized glasses from the drivers side. Somehow, when I am in the passenger seat, I can see it fine. The seats are supportive; the first weekend I had it I took a 5 hour trip out to State College and I felt fine when I got there. Road/Wind noise is present, but not too bad.

My major issue with the interior is the quality of the materials used. I had planned on getting a Fiesta before I saw the Juke. And when I test drove one, everything was soft touch. Even the dash was squishy. The Juke interior feels solid, but you can tell this is where they cut costs. All of the plastic is hard and the headliner feels like ultra-low grade felt. It is just a stark contrast between the soft seats, the cool ICON, and the hard plastics.

Drive: I am not sure if it is due to the drive-by-wire or if it is turbo lag, but there is a small delay between pushing the gas and going. It is not as bad as some other cars (the Volvo C30 I used to have), but it is noticeable. However, besides that the car just goes.

In auto mode, the shifts (what shifts?) are unnoticeable; but the real fun is when you move the lever to the left for manu-matic. (And I must say, thank you Nissan for making Manual Mode on the Left and not the Right. So much more convenient) The shifts are instantaneous! It will also beep at you if you try to up-shift too early. "Gears" 1-3 are very close together, and then there are drops for 4-6. I had never driven a CVT, so the shifts don't feel the same as a normal auto, and definitely not like a DSG or Manual. It feel like all that is happening is the RPMs are dropping but the power just grows. The only thing I would change about this is dropping the height of the lever about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch.

The only problem I really am having is with gas mileage. I am driving mainly highways and averaging only 24mpg. I expected much better from such a small and technologically advanced engine. I know it will improve as I break the car in, but as of now, I am disappointed.

Handling: Well, the car is high in the air, so you do have some body lean. But that doesn't mean you can't have fun. I am coming from an MX-5, and it isn't quite up to that, but it can hold its own. I find switching it into AWD mode for the twisties is a huge help; you can actually feel the outer wheel spinning faster to push you through the turns. That, with the manual shifting, makes for a great time on those tight roads. I would love to eliminate some body lean, but it isn't terrible.

So, overall I am very pleased with my decision. Please let me know if any of you have any specific questions about my experiences so far.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So, I have a decent amount of mileage on my car, and figured I would give everyone my thoughts.
Thanks BlueEr03 for this very informative review.
One question. How do you get into and out of the car, I asume much easier than a normal car as this is also a type of SUV. Behind the wheel do you sit nice and high?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the review. Super helpful for those of us still on the fence. Nice also that you point out some of the minuses as I, personally, feel better making a big purchase being aware of some of the trade-offs.

You mentioned you missed the armrest but that is was something you can fix? How were you planning on doing that? I know that in Japan and Europe there is an armrest option you can get directly from (and have installed by?) Nissan.... Have you heard if it is going to be made available in the states? Planning on getting one from Japan or the UK and having it installed?

The lack-of-an-armrest thing is kinda KILLING me as a research things and get ready to make a decision... it would be great to hear someone elses thoughts (or knowledge?) of possible remedies or solutions!

-Chris

·
Registered
112 Posts
More on the I-CON, please. I agree it is seems cool, but some reviews say that drivers may not notice much difference between the modes. Will it get old pretty quick?

·
Registered
122 Posts
More on the I-CON, please. I agree it is seems cool, but some reviews say that drivers may not notice much difference between the modes. Will it get old pretty quick?
I wouldn't be able to speak to "will it get old", but I find having the utility is useful and certainly isn't going to harm anyone (it wasn't a selling point for me, so perhaps I'm a bad person to answer this question).

When you're low on gas or being gas conscious, flick it into Eco-Mode.
When you're just on the go and don't really feel like playing around with it, leave it in Normal.
When you're at a light and need to quickly change lanes to make an exit ramp, flick it into Sport mode and then flick it back.

I find myself switching around between the three options depending on my current needs, but generally staying on Normal mode for 90% of my daily driving. Long trips will probably consist of mostly Eco-Mode, for instance.

Personally, I'd love to leave it in Sport-Mode the whole time, but I'm a bit too gas conscious to do it, so I'll flick it on when I want it, instead of leaving it on all the time.

I imagine there are going to be people that will always put it in Sport mode or Eco mode. There will be people like me who flick between them all constantly to get what I want at the moment, and there will be people who just never touch it.

It'll be up to the driver to decide if they think it's worth it to them.

I personally enjoy Sport mode's longer gear shifts and tighter steering, so I'm not going to ignore it! I just won't do it all the time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have never driven a CVT (have DSG at the moment) and the dealers here in Germany do not have Jukes with CVT, yet.

How does it feel compared to a DSG? Does it shift equally fast, when it simulates 6 gears?

Is it true, that it simulates 6 gears in sport mode and is "continuously" in normal and eco mode?

Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is it true, that it simulates 6 gears in sport mode and is "continuously" in normal and eco mode?
I have never driven a DSG but I heard that the CVT is a 'better' technology (?) -- can't remember why someone felt that was the case.

As for gear feeling in sport mode, I took one for a test drive and definitely felt and heard the 'sha-shunk' of changing gears but I can't say if it was approximate to 1,2,3,4,5,6 or if it was going from 3.42 to 4.67 to 5.22. :)

Is the "continually" part of CVT supposed to give you a ride that you never feel gears shift? If that is the case, at least in sport mode, I definitely felt the gears shifting and if felt quite.. well.. sporty. :)

- Chris

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Follow Ups

PWven: It is quite easy to get in and out, the car is high but not so high as you have to struggle to reach it. Because the seat is adjustable, I have myself lower than normal. But overall, the seating position is high.

ChrisinCA: I plan on just getting an armrest when they offer one in the US, or ordering from a foreign website. Either Nissan will offer theirs, or someone will make one.

LLoyd555: The I-Con is cool just from the perspective of how it works. I like being able to see the boost and torque meter. The one thing is that, if you wear polarized sunglasses, parts of the ICon disapear. I wouldn't say that this is a feature that is going to sway someone into buying the SV over the S, but it will help.

Sidamos: The other cars I had been looking at all have DSGs (TDI Golf and a Fiesta). The big difference between that and the CVT is that the DSG you actually feel the gears shifting. With the CVT, even in manual mode, it doesn't feel like it has gears, it just feels like the ratio is changing. The "shifts" are just as quick as the manual mode of the Golf's DSG. The other cool thing is that, when in automatic mode, the RPMs will hover around 3K when you are pulling away from a stoplight with all of the ratio changes happening in the background.

And yes, it does simulate the gears in Sport mode; ie. you will see the RPMs drop just like a normal auto.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank You too, for this informative review! Since one week I go with the 1,6 manual shift version (it is our first demo-car) and it makes fun to drive this car. Driving with the Eco-Mode the consumption in the city is about 6,5l per 100KM. Of course it is not competitive driving with the sport-mode. Here it makes a lot of more fun, but the liquid gold runs through the pipeline like a waterfall!

The seats are comfortable, the cockpit is clear and functional and the chassis makes it feel like driving in a cart.

My first impression after one week...

·
Registered
2 Posts
how's the road noise when driving? I've got a 06 Mini Cooper that I'm trading in soon and it's pretty loud on the highway at 70mph.

·
Registered
221 Posts
In auto mode, the shifts (what shifts?) are unnoticeable; but the real fun is when you move the lever to the left for manu-matic. (And I must say, thank you Nissan for making Manual Mode on the Left and not the Right. So much more convenient) The shifts are instantaneous! It will also beep at you if you try to up-shift too early. "Gears" 1-3 are very close together, and then there are drops for 4-6. I had never driven a CVT, so the shifts don't feel the same as a normal auto, and definitely not like a DSG or Manual. It feel like all that is happening is the RPMs are dropping but the power just grows. The only thing I would change about this is dropping the height of the lever about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch.

Thank you BlueEr03 for this excellent review. Particularly interesting for me was the part regarding the manual shifting provided with the cvt. I was hesitating about the car since I eally want awd but I have never been keen on the cvt (I always prefered standard manual transmission). This makes it more interesting.

The only problem I really am having is with gas mileage. I am driving mainly highways and averaging only 24mpg. I expected much better from such a small and technologically advanced engine. I know it will improve as I break the car in, but as of now, I am disappointed.
I am sure your gas milage will gradually improve in the next few months. It always does as the engine "wears in".

·
Registered
72 Posts
How does the Juke feel on the highway? Does it feel like a larger car or a smaller one?

When I downsized for fuel efficiency 5 years ago, that's one thing I noticed (and missed) that my Matrix will feel like it's getting blown by the wind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Highway and Wind

Drove to work this morning in 20-30 mph winds (Midwest hit with a nice wind storm this morning), and I didn't feel the wind affected the Juke at all. Only take away is that I had to lower the radio volume to figure out what that rushing noise was, LOL. Bottom line, on the highway, I could hear the wind, but could not feel it affecting the car i any way-must be on of the styling benefits.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
We are having high winds here in Cleveland also (ruegway, update your profile to include location please). It didn't start until after I got to work. I will check it out on the way home and update.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts