Intelligent Key Wallet Option?
  1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums – General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intelligent Key Wallet Option?

Intelligent Key Wallet Option?

Hi,

Bought a 2012 Juke SV (CVT) about a month ago and have since been coming to this forum as a guest as I learn from all your great posts. However, one thing continues to bother me and I figured I'd make a post to see if anyone had any ideas.

Before I bought this car, I had effectively reduced my daily keychain down to just my car. Now that I have this intelligent key, I don't really even need a keychain -- but it appears I have no choice?

Has anyone ever seen or heard of something smaller or flatter that might replace the intelligent key? Ideally a wallet card?

I never use the buttons on the fob and prefer the door buttons. I've resorted to carrying my intelligent key on a lanyard around my neck. But i'd sure love to have a way to keep it in my wallet or something less obtrusive.

I rambled on my first post here....I'll see if I can keep it up in the future :-)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forums and congrats on getting your Juke. There might be aftermarket key alternatives, but getting them to work with Nissan's intelligent key system would be the question. As far as I know, there are no factory or possibly even aftermarket "wallet card" keys like a Tesla has.
    2013 Nissan Juke SL - Gun Metallic - CVT - AWD "Hidden Content "
    Injen - CAI w/ Aux Tube, Midpipe, Cat-Back Exhaust, IC Pipes w/ Custom Lower Pipe
    Turbosmart - Kompact Recirc Valve
    2J Racing - Lightweight Pulley, UpRev Tune ~22psi
    Saikou Michi - Dual OCC
    Impact Racing Zone - Strut Bar
    Stillen - Sway Bar
    Prosport - EVO Boost Gauge
    Gen 2 Taillights, HID Retrofit Headlights

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

I have like 5 hours to kill before my flight so I've been looking around for Nissan I-Key substitutions, and I can't find anything promising. Wonder if you could butcher the guts to one and make a wallet out of it. Would be an expensive experiment.
    2015 Juke SL FWD CVT: ​Orange Splish Splash Edition

Performance: 2J Pulley, 2J Exhaust, 2J Midpipe, AEM Intake, Visconti Custom Tune, Manny Mounts

Handling: Eibach Pro Springs, Spoon Rigid Collars, Vordoven Forme 9 18x8.5 Wheels

Appearance: Color Studio Trim, Remin Carbon Fiber Dash Kit (don't buy one), custom painted grille, Redline Goods Wheel Wrap, Dash Topper Suede Mat, MW Bros Custom Seat Covers

Misc: Innovate AFR/Boost Gauge, Injen X-Pedal Pro

5. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JuklearWinter View Post
    I have like 5 hours to kill before my flight so I've been looking around for Nissan I-Key substitutions, and I can't find anything promising. Wonder if you could butcher the guts to one and make a wallet out of it. Would be an expensive experiment.
    Yeah, I did my fair share of searching over the last few weeks to no avail and came to effectively the same conclusion as you. I'm no electronics wiz, but I do have a friend... I may have to purchase an aftermarket one, get it programmed with my existing fob and have my buddy see what he can come up with.

I've actually considered modifying most of my clothing to have an intelligent key pocket. What I lack in electronics expertise, I can mostly make up for from behind a sewing machine.

Let us know what you come up with! It's a unique idea. Damnit now I want an i-key wallet.
    2015 Juke SL FWD CVT: ​Orange Splish Splash Edition

Performance: 2J Pulley, 2J Exhaust, 2J Midpipe, AEM Intake, Visconti Custom Tune, Manny Mounts

Handling: Eibach Pro Springs, Spoon Rigid Collars, Vordoven Forme 9 18x8.5 Wheels

Appearance: Color Studio Trim, Remin Carbon Fiber Dash Kit (don't buy one), custom painted grille, Redline Goods Wheel Wrap, Dash Topper Suede Mat, MW Bros Custom Seat Covers

Misc: Innovate AFR/Boost Gauge, Injen X-Pedal Pro

Quote Originally Posted by JuklearWinter View Post
    Let us know what you come up with! It's a unique idea. Damnit now I want an i-key wallet.
    Ya know? I want one too but mind you, I always have house&work/van keys in my pocket anyways... Maybe I'll tinker
    2016 SL AWD Pearl white. Colour matched spoiler, rubber ducky, fuzzy dice, arm rest, sometimes a roof rack.
    Gen2 Visconti Tune, 2Jr pulley, 2Jr SRI
    2Jr midpipe installation coming soon (stupid seized nuts). Hidden Content
    Eibach pro-kit spring install SOON
    Custom black FMIC create/install sooner rather than later

Gen2 boost controller/gauge/f'erupper still in the works (if you don't know it find it or go away)

I've opened up my key several times to replace the battery. There's the main circuit board, a coil of copper wire which is the antenna (and also an induction charger that charges the key when it is dead and allows the vehicle to start when the fob is put up to the start button. PRO TIP), and then of course is the 3V button cell battery. Presumably, all of these things can be moved around and spread out to fit a more flat design, especially if you remove the momentary switches for the unlock buttons. I can definitely see it being possible.

I too have reduced the things I carry and built myself a custom wallet that integrates my apartment key into it. I usually just carry my Juke key on a carabiner and clip it to my pants pocket or belt loop, but this actually sounds like a very interesting idea.

Greetings Beaver and welcome to the happiest Juke place on the net.

Being an engineering tech in the defense industry for 29 years I can tell you, sure it's possible to make a wallet card for the Juke. The bad news is that it's like racing, it's not so much how fast do you want to go but how much money are you willing to spend to go fast.

An actual slim smart card (AKA wallet card), like those contactless ID cards used to enter buildings and hotel rooms or debit/credit cards that work by just placing the card near the reader, rely on Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) or Near-field communication (NFC) technology.

It will take a fair amount of reverse engineering to determine the Nissan's intelligent key system communication protocols "how it talks and what it says" on the Jukes CAN bus to the Body Control Module (BCM) and Engine Control Module (ECM) to unlock, lock and allow the car to start. Then you'll have to obtain an appropriate smart card RFID or NFC card system for use in a auto environment and integrate it into the Juke in place of the Intelligent Key fob hardware and program it to emulate what the Nissan intelligent key fob system does on the CAN bus. And remember a wallet card doesn't have buttons so you'll have to figure out how to execute a lock and unlock sequence with out them.

Sure it's possible with the correct hardware, software and knowledge but is it worth the effort and expense...?

Being a bit of a slacker I simply use a Nite Ize S-Biner size 2 to clip the key fob to a belt loop on my pants...
    https://www.niteize.com/collection/s-biner.asp
    Last edited by dude59; 03-21-2019 at 10:38 PM. Reason: syntax
    Jukes '14 SL AWD Graphite Blue & '12 SL AWD Chrome Silver (his & hers) also '91 BMW 318is.

cde
    Remove guts, stick in new case. Some 3d printer examples.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Volkswagen/...allet_keyless/

https://mx5things.com/2017/10/28/car...a-credit-card/

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=654996

And super ghetto tape method https://youtu.be/rbmfi2gaDbU

I suggest getting a cloned fob and using that instead of messing with the original.

If you dont use the buttons then you can desolder those. You could use a thinner battery too.

Quote Originally Posted by cde View Post

And super ghetto tape method https://youtu.be/rbmfi2gaDbU

I'm kinda diggin' the look of the ghetto credit/gift card & clear tape key fob redo...

maybe take it up a notch with some Flex Seal clear in place of clear tape (think poly fill of rubber bushing), mod a batt holder a bit to set in the flex goop, hose down a dead batt with a few coats of dry lube (PTFE) spray as a mold release and it should be able to be popped out after goop cures to facilitate batt replacement.

hmmm... never considered a key fob mod before...
    Last edited by dude59; 03-21-2019 at 11:13 PM.
    Jukes '14 SL AWD Graphite Blue & '12 SL AWD Chrome Silver (his & hers) also '91 BMW 318is.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)