Walbro Pump - Fuel Cannister Venturi Suction Issue
  1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums – General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walbro Pump - Fuel Cannister Venturi Suction Issue

Walbro Pump - Fuel Cannister Venturi Suction Issue

Hi guys and gals! Just wanted to put this out there, for both informational purposes and to inquire if anyone has been down this path and has any advice for me. Btw I have a 2014 MT RS w/ approx 30k miles and around 15k while tuned.

I have an aftermarket walbro fuel pump installed in my Juke by 2J Racing. Ever since I got the pump and had it tuned I get a hesitation and stalling episode, once in a long while. Not often. Seems to happen when it's >90 degrees, have less than 1/2 tank of gas and if idling for a long time and/or lots of stop and go traffic. Then it throws fuel pressure related codes. After the car cools down for about 30-60min it runs fine like nothing ever happened.
    When recently speaking with Joe at 2J he mentioned that since the walbro pump sucks more fuel at a faster rate that the canister can get depleted which doesn't give the pump the fuel it needs. He recommends drilling two 3/8" holes at the bottom of the canister to help keep the canister filled with fuel. Told me he doesn't know if they drilled the holes for my Juke (probably not). Here is the how to video he told me to watch - https://www.facebook.com/Joe2JRacing...24925?sfnsw=cl

BUT I ASK WHY??? So then....doing some research online revealed many forum threads about ppl discussing the lack of a venturi suction effect when swapping their OEM pumps to the Walbro pumps. I don't fully understand it yet but in the middle of researching and learning. Joe's solution is to drill holes at the bottom of the canister which helps to keep gas around the bottom of the upright pump. However some ppl wrote about causes for concern where air can be introduced into the canister as the fuel sloshes around in the tank. That is the reason why there aren't any holes in the canister to begin with. So I am not sure if I should actually do this mod. I hope it doesn't solve one problem and create another? Seems like 2J drills holes in the canister on all the Jukes he tunes now (I assume).

Lastly 2J advised I cannot/should not go back to an OEM pump because the tune requires a higher flow rate, and in going back to OEM I can risk engine detonation and failure running lean.

I would think the OEM pump flows within 10% of the walbro and therefore many of you are tuned without an aftermarket pump. We probably don't need the walbro pump until we are pushing 350whp or more.

Any thoughts / suggestions are welcome! :-)
    2014 RS MT 270 whp, 325wtq @ 26psi
    13 Custom Headlights w/ Demon Eyes - 2JR Uprev Tune, Mamba TD04-19T TURBO, Walbro 340lph fuel pump, 2JR downpipe, Injen Midpipe, 2JR Catback, Injen SRI, Injen upper hard pipes, Urethane upper/lower torque mounts, RS-R Springs, Mishimoto IC, 2JR lightweight pulley, GFB DV, Impul rain guards, DRL foglight stalk swap, weather-tech mats, catch cans, boost gauge, Impul style cf double-wing, FWD Sway Bar, Strut Bar
    FUTURE MODS: Custom Gators, MBRO Tails

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

I am being blatantly honest here.

That pump is just a way for 2J to make extra money that is not needed. He said that the HPFP does not get enough flow at low RPMs to support a tune. Thats why he does the LPFP upgrade with his tunes.

My tuner looked at fuel trims and everything was well within tolerance.

The Juke fuel system is very robust. Able to handle over double +++ the HP of the OEM motor.

I would say how he has HIS LPFP set up. The warning is for his setup not the OEM. Just food for thought.
    2014 Silver 6spd RS 285whp 255wtq 21PSI
    Tint SunStrip. Cargo Cvr. DRL Mod. HID Hdlites, Ultratech Race Brace Pkg, Koenig whls&20mm spcrs
    LED:Gator, Backup, Dome, License, SideMrk, Cstm Hatch. Pinstriping. Weathertek's,
    Lited Scufs, Accent Liting, Turbonoob mounts. Uprev Tune. Boost gage, 2J DP & Pulley, Mamba Turbo, RHW FMIC
    Injen IC pipes,CAI, Midpipe,Stillen Exhst, TS BOV & Wastegate, IRZ Stut Brce, Maxbore TBody

I agree it seems oem is the way to go. But 2J advised against reverting back to oem warning it can cause catastrophic lean conditions. But that doesn’t make much sense being the fuel regulator and injectors control the flow.
    13 Custom Headlights w/ Demon Eyes - 2JR Uprev Tune, Mamba TD04-19T TURBO, Walbro 340lph fuel pump, 2JR downpipe, Injen Midpipe, 2JR Catback, Injen SRI, Injen upper hard pipes, Urethane upper/lower torque mounts, RS-R Springs, Mishimoto IC, 2JR lightweight pulley, GFB DV, Impul rain guards, DRL foglight stalk swap, weather-tech mats, catch cans, boost gauge, Impul style cf double-wing, FWD Sway Bar, Strut Bar

5. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

If you have the cash. I would maybe get the Juke retuned down there and put an OEM fuel pump back in. Its easy as you saw in the video.

Joe should have given you the oem pump back.

It will clear up a lot of issues.

I doubt he adjusted anything for the better lpfp in his tune. BUT I would play it safe and retune especially if he is not going to back up his work.
    Tint SunStrip. Cargo Cvr. DRL Mod. HID Hdlites, Ultratech Race Brace Pkg, Koenig whls&20mm spcrs
    LED:Gator, Backup, Dome, License, SideMrk, Cstm Hatch. Pinstriping. Weathertek's,
    Lited Scufs, Accent Liting, Turbonoob mounts. Uprev Tune. Boost gage, 2J DP & Pulley, Mamba Turbo, RHW FMIC
    Injen IC pipes,CAI, Midpipe,Stillen Exhst, TS BOV & Wastegate, IRZ Stut Brce, Maxbore TBody

I mean...2 jukes at 330 whp maxing out head flow over here...on oem pumps. Just saying. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So update to the problem. I am happy to report that after drilling the suggested holes into the fuel canister, the Juke runs great. I did confirm i have the 340lph pump installed. And its not a walbro.
    The Juke now is showing more power throughout the rpm band as it seems it used to starve for gas. When i wpuld go WOT it would kind of studder where now it just opens up like a beast. The true test will be over time to see of hesitation/stalling happens again but for now she is running smooth.

Glad she back in action hope to see it at the next meet.
    injen short ram intake, injen intercooler pipes, turbo smart compact bov, stillen strut bar, full obx exhaust include second cat delete, 2j pulley, 2j mail order tune with uprev, mishimoto front mount with custom pipes and brackets, 2j shift knob, nismo pedals, rock blokz mud flaps, greddy profec electronic boost controller, sti battery tie down.

Whew thats a relief.

Did you do the actual inlet hole as well as the side holes in the canister ?

Not sure what you mean by the inlet hole, but I did drill the two holes into the side of the canister. Here is a pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
    Whew thats a relief.

Did you do the actual inlet hole as well as the side holes in the canister ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you sir. This is the way 2J is pumping (no pun intended) them out now, so it seems I was the guinea pig. The actual pump that they use is aeromotove, branded 2J.... see attached pic.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo noob View Post
    Glad she back in action hope to see it at the next meet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

13. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)