Engine vibrates when accelerating and sometimes hums
  1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums – General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine vibrates when accelerating and sometimes hums

Engine vibrates when accelerating and sometimes hums

Hello,

I have a 2015 SV with CVT that has been intermittently vibrating and sometimes hums at highway speeds whenever I accelerate. When the gas is lightly pressed at cruising speeds, I can feel the vibration. Whenever the gas is let off, there is no vibration and/or hum. There is no vibration whenever it is idle as well.

When the Juke is cold, the car runs fine without any vibrations but the issue starts when the car is warmed up. I have done the following to the Juke:

1. Replaced the tires 10k miles ago. Wheels are rotated and balanced
    2. Replaced air filter, spark plugs, coils
    3. Transmission fluid has been drained and filled (5 quarts) roughly 20k miles ago
    4. The Juke has 120k miles on it. Most freeway driving

It's weird, sometimes the Juke wants to run smooth, then at times it just wants to vibrate and hum. I read in other posts that the o2 sensor was replaced. If that is the solution, which o2 sensor or just replace both? Any advice would be awesome and greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Loose heat shield?
    Hidden Content

Wife's - 2013 Juke SL
    Mine - 2014 Juke Nismo RS

sounds like an exhaust leak or minor rattle. like swift said, maybe a loose heat shield. Maybe an exhaust gasket or flange failing. there are 2 O2 sensors, one up top by the outlet of the turbo and one down below towards the exit of the downpipe probably near the secondary catalytic converter.
    2013 Nissan Juke SL - Gun Metallic - CVT - AWD "Hidden Content "
    Injen - CAI w/ Aux Tube, Midpipe, Cat-Back Exhaust, IC Pipes w/ Custom Lower Pipe
    Turbosmart - Kompact Recirc Valve
    2J Racing - Lightweight Pulley, UpRev Tune ~22psi
    Saikou Michi - Dual OCC
    Impact Racing Zone - Strut Bar
    Stillen - Sway Bar
    Prosport - EVO Boost Gauge
    Gen 2 Taillights, HID Retrofit Headlights

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

5. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by squirtbrnr View Post
    sounds like an exhaust leak or minor rattle. like swift said, maybe a loose heat shield. Maybe an exhaust gasket or flange failing. there are 2 O2 sensors, one up top by the outlet of the turbo and one down below towards the exit of the downpipe probably near the secondary catalytic converter.
    Thanks! I'll have to check it out when I go to my mechanic this weekend. Doesn't a loose heat shield cause some kind of rattle, though?

I meant to say earlier that the hum is associated with the vibration like driving over a bunch of rumble strips. It got really bad today so I put the drive mode onto Sport and the hum/vibration went away but the slight vibration from the engine was still present. Its intermittent but very annoying on a 15 mile commute each way. Do you all have any other suggestion(s) for my mechanic to check out?

Wheel bearing
    Hidden Content

Wife's - 2013 Juke SL
    Mine - 2014 Juke Nismo RS

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftab View Post
    Wheel bearing
    I didn't think of that. I'll have the mechanic check that out too. Come to think of it, if I have a passenger riding with me, the vibrating issue isn't so bad and mostly rides fine.

Any other suggestions?

Wheel bearing would change sound with speed, not necessarily engine load or RPM. Though a wheel bearing is still probable. Maybe a CV joint or axle? Does the hum or vibration change when turning one direction or the other? If the sound is “better” when you have a passenger, maybe there’s something in the cabin rattling. A seat, seat belt, center console, passenger door, etc.
    Injen - CAI w/ Aux Tube, Midpipe, Cat-Back Exhaust, IC Pipes w/ Custom Lower Pipe
    Saikou Michi - Dual OCC
    Stillen - Sway Bar

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Wheel bearing would change sound with speed, not necessarily engine load or RPM. Though a wheel bearing is still probable. Maybe a CV joint or axle? Does the hum or vibration change when turning one direction or the other? If the sound is “better” when you have a passenger, maybe there’s something in the cabin rattling. A seat, seat belt, center console, passenger door, etc.
    My apologies for the late reply. I took my car o a friend who hooked the car up to the computer. Found no issues there but did an inspection and found the hose to the intercooler loose. The hose got tighten and the car ran without issues for a couple of weeks.

Now....its starting to do it again but even worse. I double checked all the hoses which are tight and free of any cracks. The shaking is not bad during highway speeds but really pronounced when driving around 35-45 MPH. This time I had my dad ride in the passenger seat to no avail and he also suggested the CV axles or joint going bad. My friend, the mechanic said the CVT maybe starting to go out. Since I did the CVT oil change about 20k miles ago, you all think its warranted to try another CVT oil change before anything else?

It’s worth a shot. Changing the CVT fluid can fix some ailments and prevent others. However if the CVT is already failing, changing the fluid will only delay the inevitable. You won’t know until you do it though.
    Saikou Michi - Dual OCC
    Stillen - Sway Bar

It’s worth a shot. Changing the CVT fluid can fix some ailments and prevent others. However if the CVT is already failing, changing the fluid will only delay the inevitable. You won’t know until you do it though.
    Update: Finally changed out the CVT fluid. The CVT runs and shifts fine but still having the vibrating issue at low speeds (20 to 50MPH) whenever the car has warmed up. I'm taking my Juke to my friend's shop again. Fingers crossed :-)

13. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)