Needs engine replacement
  1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums – General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needs engine replacement

Needs engine replacement

Good evening all. I have a question for anyone that can answer. My predicament starts with a bit of a story. So in 2016 I was activated with my reserve unit and away from home for 5 months. In that time, my ex wife ran my Juke low on oil. When I was back home, I noticed a ticking noise that sounded like some valve slap. I immediately had the oil changed as it was at 58k miles. The noise didn’t go away so I started browsing online and found on here that there was a timing chain recall. I got that fixed, but the noise didn’t stop. I had a feeling that since the ex ran it low on oil, one of the crank bearings or one of the cams could be damaged. I took the car to Nissan and was told that it looks like there is metal shavings in the oil and the symptoms appeared to be a bad main bearing. They told me this was going to cost me about $9k to fix unless I could provide all service history for the car (I could not). So I drove the car for another 6 months and was activated again. When I got back, same thing, I drove for another 4 months and went on deployment. Well, overall I have put about 16k miles on the car after the initial ticking. I know I have to replace the engine, and called around.

Nissan gave me the part number for my Nismo Juke engine as 101023YWME, then said the new engine would cost $6800. So my questions are as follows:

1. I have the manual 2014 FWD Nismo Juke. Can I replace the engine with one that came out of a Juke with a CSV?
    2. Can I replace the engine across platforms without issues? For example, can I put the S, SV, Nismo, or Nismo RS engine in my juke, or am I limited to just another Nismo Juke engine?
    3. Does year matter?

Im asking this so I can order a long block with turbo shipped to my mechanic. I found a 2014 Nismo Juke RS engine and a 2013 Juke SV engine for close to the same price. Would either of these work, or am I stuck to finding a juke that is the same year, same model, same transmission?

any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Thank you for your service !!!

I am sorry to hear about your engine issues.

First. You may be able to salvage the engine or prolong its demise. Buy a bottle of Motorkote. It can do wonders for a car.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorkote-MK-...M0I/ref=sr_1_2

Watch this.......

https://youtu.be/88vwUwa3igQ

Its one of the few Pour in products that actually works.

As long as they can get the ECU to work. Any Juke engine can be dropped in the Juke. The RS has a couple better internal parts and is tuned better than the Nismo. I would spring for that but they will just use your ECU so dont expect more power.

I would assume your Juke is a 2011-2014 Model.
    2014 Silver 6spd RS 285whp 255wtq 21PSI
    Tint SunStrip. Cargo Cvr. DRL Mod. HID Hdlites, Ultratech Race Brace Pkg, Koenig whls&20mm spcrs
    LED:Gator, Backup, Dome, License, SideMrk, Cstm Hatch. Pinstriping. Weathertek's,
    Lited Scufs, Accent Liting, Turbonoob mounts. Uprev Tune. Boost gage, 2J DP & Pulley, Mamba Turbo, RHW FMIC
    Injen IC pipes,CAI, Midpipe,Stillen Exhst, TS BOV & Wastegate, IRZ Stut Brce, Maxbore TBody

Welcome to the forums and sorry to hear about your troubles with the Juke. You have a gen 1 Juke so any engine out of a 2010-2014 S, SV, SL, Nismo, or Nismo RS will fit in your Juke. Gen 2 Jukes (2015+) have a different engine EXCEPT for the Nismo RS is still a gen 1 engine so if you find a 2017 Nismo RS engine, it will work. I don't know if the manual transmission has a different bell housing bolt pattern or if it's the same as a CVT. Like Macgyver mentioned, the Nismo RS engine has some upgraded goodies inside the engine (I think it's mostly bearings and rods). Your ECU won't really care what engine it has.
    2013 Nissan Juke SL - Gun Metallic - CVT - AWD "Hidden Content "
    Injen - CAI w/ Aux Tube, Midpipe, Cat-Back Exhaust, IC Pipes w/ Custom Lower Pipe
    Turbosmart - Kompact Recirc Valve
    2J Racing - Lightweight Pulley, UpRev Tune ~22psi
    Saikou Michi - Dual OCC
    Impact Racing Zone - Strut Bar
    Stillen - Sway Bar
    Prosport - EVO Boost Gauge
    Gen 2 Taillights, HID Retrofit Headlights

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

5. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

I'd just like to congratulate you on the ex-part. So many innocent victims, like your Juke. Best of luck with motor swap. I have tons of spare parts from when I've done upgrades. Feel free to comment back here if there's something specific you're looking for. Not everything would fit- case-by-case.

Thank you for your service!
    2015 Juke SL FWD CVT: ​Orange Splish Splash Edition

Performance: 2J Pulley, 2J Exhaust, 2J Midpipe, AEM Intake, Visconti Custom Tune, Manny Mounts

Handling: Eibach Pro Springs, Spoon Rigid Collars, Vordoven Forme 9 18x8.5 Wheels

Appearance: Color Studio Trim, Remin Carbon Fiber Dash Kit (don't buy one), custom painted grille, Redline Goods Wheel Wrap, Dash Topper Suede Mat, MW Bros Custom Seat Covers

Misc: Innovate AFR/Boost Gauge, Injen X-Pedal Pro

Macgyver: Awesome brother, thank you. I’m going to try this to see if I can prolong this motor for as long as I can while searching for a new engine. Hopefully this will be a slight improvement.

Squirtbrnr: this is good news. Thank you for this. I will probably hop on the RS engine I found then. I don’t really care about the power, but if the internals are a bit stronger that’s always a plus. This is one of the slower cars I have owned and didn’t buy it for speed. It just kind of caught my eye as being unique. My TL1000r is where I get my speed thrills anyway.... and it gets about the same gas mileage as the Juke hahaha.

JuklearWinter: Sooo many people always say “sorry” after finding out a divorce or break up... I am always happy when some one says “congratulations” as it was not a horrible marriage, but it is definitely good we are not stuck with each other anymore.
    Last edited by JohnnyboyLOL; 03-24-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Next question all. Thank you for the help provided thus far.

if I buy a long block RS motor, are my accessories going to bolt right up? What about I take manifold and throttle body? Are these parts the same? It sounds like they are, with the only difference between the engines being some better internals and the eco mapping. I found an engine with 200, 195, 200, 195 compression drop down test for cylinders 1, 2, 3, and 4. The drop down was 5%, 3%, 5%, and 8%.

What do do you guys think about this? I’m not into the whole Japanese car scene and only got this car because the ex wife talked me into it, and it was unique and interesting. If these were Volkswagen numbers for one of their 4 cylinder turbo motors I would jump at this. I’m just a little apprehensive due to never owning a Nissan, or Japanese car for that matter before owning this one. Guidance is greatly appreciated as always. I’m not going to be doing the swap myself, but having a shop do it. They quoted me at 14 hours of labor, so $1k for the long block and $1.5kfor the install beats the hell out of what Nissan was wanting me to fork out on a 5 year old car that is only worth 8-10k.

As long as it’s a gen 1 engine, all of the accessories and bolt on parts (alternator, idler pulley, throttle body, turbo, intake/exhaust manifolds, etc) will swap over no problem.

I found a spec sheet for the MR16DDT gen 1 engine a while ago and it listed the following for cylinder pressure:
    172psi minimum
    226psi recommended
    15psi differential across all cylinders (total)

I’ll see if I can find the spec sheet again. It listed many more specs and dimensions. It sounds like the long block you found is in decent shape. Just make sure the newer engine also had the timing chain service if applicable. I don’t know if the service campaign included the early RS engines (those came out in 2013 I think). But if they’re swapping the engine, the timing chain service wouldn’t be hard to do on a stand and probably cheap “insurance” on a replacement engine.
    Injen - CAI w/ Aux Tube, Midpipe, Cat-Back Exhaust, IC Pipes w/ Custom Lower Pipe
    Saikou Michi - Dual OCC
    Stillen - Sway Bar

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Awesome man, I really appreciate it. Looks like I may be hopping on this RS engine this week. It seems like it is a little off on the recommended rating, but this could be fixed with some sea foam. I raised my compression by 12-18 points on a E36 I had a while ago. This should be no different... hopefully.

Yeah probably an induction cleaning to treat the valves would be good. Here’s where I found the engine specs. Cylinder pressure was found in the maintenance info section. https://www.engine-specs.net/nissan/mr16ddt-m5m.html
    Saikou Michi - Dual OCC
    Stillen - Sway Bar

That’s a good read. Very informative and useful. I bookmarked it for future use. Now I just gotta visit my mechanic again to discuss shipping of the engine. Thanks for the help guys.

In the event that stuff is going to need to be replaced, do you have any good sites you recommend? I usually use discount auto but I’m not seeing a lot of juke stuff on there. Any references?

13. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)