2013 Juke S, likely timing chain issue
  1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums – General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Juke S, likely timing chain issue

2013 Juke S, likely timing chain issue

I just purchased a 2013 Nissan Juke with 41k miles on it. The first week of ownership was promising but yesterday evening I was noticing a chattering/vibrating noise when under light throttle while driving around. I was able to reproduce it while parked with light throttle applied floating around 1150-1700 RPM. It only made this noise while very light throttle was applied and immediately responded to throttle input. It sounded so closely like an exhaust shield vibration. I checked exhaust and could not find any broken hangers, loose shields, downpipe shield and mount seemed nice and tight. It does NOT make this noise when the engine is cool, only after a good warmup.

I had my girlfriend hold the throttle for me while I poked around under the hood listening for the source. It sounds like it's coming from underneath the timing chain cover right under the top-front motor mount. I tried to "feel" for it but could not physically feel it, just can hear the chattery noise. The noise goes away after 1800 rpm or so. The engine otherwise runs very, very good.

I then jumped online to find the dreaded timing chain campaign. I called nissan corp today, they verified the car did go through a timing chain repair and a fuel delivery fix of some kind in 2014. I am now out of warranty by 2 months. I am having a salt lake dealership take a look at it on saturday and hoping nissan corp will decide to help me out if the chain needs replacement again. Nissan corp did say there is an extended warranty on the vehicle but only applies if I purchased from a verified/certified dealer, which I am sure I did not.

I have not yet tried to remove my serpentine belt and restart the motor for a bit to find out if it's a pulley on the tensioner or accessory failure.

Any help/input is appreciated and I will update you all with what comes next.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Having a dealer look at it will provide more support than we can with guessing. Sorry you are having troubles. Please keep us posted with your progress.
    Hidden Content

Wife's - 2013 Juke SL
    Mine - 2014 Juke Nismo RS

You could be hearing the injectors (they are loud). But like swift said, it's best to take it to a dealership to have it checked out.
    2013 Nissan Juke SL - Gun Metallic - CVT - AWD "Hidden Content "
    Injen - CAI w/ Aux Tube, Midpipe, Cat-Back Exhaust, IC Pipes w/ Custom Lower Pipe
    Turbosmart - Kompact Recirc Valve
    2J Racing - Lightweight Pulley, UpRev Tune ~22psi
    Saikou Michi - Dual OCC
    Impact Racing Zone - Strut Bar
    Stillen - Sway Bar
    Prosport - EVO Boost Gauge
    Gen 2 Taillights, HID Retrofit Headlights

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

5. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by squirtbrnr View Post
    You could be hearing the injectors (they are loud). But like swift said, it's best to take it to a dealership to have it checked out.
    I do agree but, hearing this noise from the interior that sounds much like an exhaust shield rattle from near the firewall definitely isn't injectors. Pinpointing the noise source coming front the upper frontal area of the engine near the timing cover definitely makes me nervous. It's a noise that turns the head of my passengers wondering what that noise was.

Update:

Techs at Tim Dahle in South Jordan, Utah initially agreed with me that it's likely a timing chain issue when I first demonstrated the noise to them.

They called me back a few hours later to say they don't believe it is the timing chain and sounds like it is coming from near the high pressure fuel pump and possibly catalytic converter noise.

They said they're having another Nissan tech come to check into it on Monday.

Well that is good to hear.

You should hear my SHO HPFP on idle. Its like an old school Subaru motor tick but louder.
    2014 Silver 6spd RS 285whp 255wtq 21PSI
    Tint SunStrip. Cargo Cvr. DRL Mod. HID Hdlites, Ultratech Race Brace Pkg, Koenig whls&20mm spcrs
    LED:Gator, Backup, Dome, License, SideMrk, Cstm Hatch. Pinstriping. Weathertek's,
    Lited Scufs, Accent Liting, Turbonoob mounts. Uprev Tune. Boost gage, 2J DP & Pulley, Mamba Turbo, RHW FMIC
    Injen IC pipes,CAI, Midpipe,Stillen Exhst, TS BOV & Wastegate, IRZ Stut Brce, Maxbore TBody

Wait... but isn’t the HPFP on the upper driver side of the engine near the battery? That’s opposite side of the engine from the catalytic converter and the timing chain. More than likely you’re still hearing the injectors...
    Injen - CAI w/ Aux Tube, Midpipe, Cat-Back Exhaust, IC Pipes w/ Custom Lower Pipe
    Saikou Michi - Dual OCC
    Stillen - Sway Bar

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by squirtbrnr View Post
    Wait... but isn’t the HPFP on the upper driver side of the engine near the battery? That’s opposite side of the engine from the catalytic converter and the timing chain. More than likely you’re still hearing the injectors...
    Yep, you're correct. I'm just telling you guys what the techs that were there on Saturday had to say. By my own observations, the sound is definitely coming from the timing chain area and not the HPFP, nor an accessory on the serpentine loop. It's definitely not injectors. I can hear the clickety injectors, they're a totally different noise from what the engine is emitting at 1100-1800 rpm. Like I said, it sounds like an exhaust rattle, not a higher pitched tinging one but lower in the frequency range and very audible from the interior of the car through the firewall when HVAC and stereo is turned down. The sound also only happens when at temperature. The sound does not exist what-so-ever when the motor isn't warmed up yet.

My personal bets are a timing chain issue. I have a hard time believing the guy that told me it could be emitting from the 1st cat. The shields are nice and tight and at 41k, unless it had an air/fuel or ignition issue in its past, those miles are far too low to have a rattling cat.
    Last edited by steve500; 12-09-2018 at 08:54 PM.

lower pitch, hmm. well there's a chance one of the exhaust gaskets has a leak. one gasket is right under the firewall. It's a donut gasket between the primary and secondary cats. Maybe one of the spring bolts at that junction snapped? There is a heat shield that travels the primary cat along the firewall. It's held on by those push on/screw on metal clamp washers. This heat shield can only be reached from under the car and sticking your arm all the way up next to the downpipe. If it was timing chain, I'd expect more of a "thudding" as opposed to a "tinging" only because the typical noise of a stretched chain is the metal slapping against the plastic guide and tensioner.
    Saikou Michi - Dual OCC
    Stillen - Sway Bar

My Juke made a very similar noise since day one. I couldnt find the source and neither could Nissan. They told me "you have a warranty so drive it until it blows up". I honestly think it was clutch related. Not sure if you have a cvt or manual trans though.
    2012 Juke SV AWD - Sold 2015
    2015 Juke Nismo RS 6mt - Sold 2018
    2006 Evo MR SE - 324whp/312wtq
    2004 Saturn Vue - Daily beater

13. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)