Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

TPMS questions

11K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Pale Rider 
#1 ·
So it is my intention to replace the wheels and tires. I do not want to drive around with the TPMS light and warning message all the time.

Current plan is to have tire mounted and balanced on new rims with new sensors. Then take them home and install them myself since I'll need to do a bit of heat gun work on fender liners. Can I drive back to tire shop and get the sensors linked up anytime or must it be done during sensor installation into wheel?

And once new sensors are installed and synched with car... the old ones in original rims are still usable later if I ever want to go back but would have to be matched up again at tire shop right?

Or should I look at that cloning thing I saw in one thread.

#2 ·
I'm pretty sure past threads have all the answers you need because I remember researching and discussing this a few years back on the topic of swapping out winter and summer wheel sets.

Just out of memory though (and I could be remembering incorrectly...)

You can sync them at anytime.
The originals will need to be resynced, the ECU only stores a current set.

The 3 (maybe 4) options available are:
Buy the TPMS programming tool yourself. I think it cost just under $200, so this was an option for long term owners wanting to swap 2x a year (which costs $80 total each time you have a shop do it).
There is a hack way to force the Juke to relearn it. Something about setting each tire to a specific PSI, then driving for 10 mins. Something like that.
Have the shop do it each time.
The cloning thing you mentioned... but I've never read/heard about that one.

#3 ·
New OEM type sensors need to be "activated" before the ECU can read them. They are shipped in a sleep mode. Once activated you can use a tool to switch between the two different sets of sensors. I just recently purchased new wheels and tires and the ATEQ VT5 trigger tool and the ATEQ Quick Set tool. Activated the sensors with the VT5, set up the Quick Set with computer per instructions, plugged the Quick Set into the OBDII port and pressed the "winter" button as that is what I will use the stock wheels for and the tool read the sensor codes from the stored ones in the ECU. Plugged the tool back into the computer and saw the codes set to "winter" in the chart, entered the codes for the new sensors (you need to get these from whomever installed them) in the "summer" mode and saved the settings. Plugged the tool back into the OBDII port and pushed the "summer" button. The new codes were entered into the ECU. Worked perfectly. Now all I need to do when switching between summer and winter wheels/tires is to plug the Quick Set tool into the OBD port and push the appropriate button. Piece of cake! Cost $200 for the tools and I don't have to fool with the steelership for sensor resets ever!

#4 ·
isn`t there a white single wire plug under the dash like most Nissan`s?
there is a DIY thread floating around the net, where you tap that wire to ground to activate the sensors with 4 different air pressures so the system can recognize each wheel.

I`ve done this a bunch of times between the Titan and Frontier.

I`ll have to look to see if that wire is under the dash taped off to the rest of the harness.

tpms reset - Nissan Titan Forum
this is just one of those threads.

#5 ·
I go to the tire shop and get a "TPS reset" when I change my wheels. They do it for free and it takes about five minutes. They verify signal from outside the tire on all wheels and tell the cars computer to recognize the sensors. May have been answered above. Both TPS sets are usable and both sets are OEM Nissan.

#8 ·
#9 ·
The 'tap the wire' method that you mentioned works. I researched it once before... I didn't like it.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-...-reset-tpms-warning-by-yourself-for-free.html

If you plan on swapping summer/winter more than 3x, the programming tool is worth buying.

Read a few posts into this thread, starting with my post on page 2:
http://www.jukeforums.com/forum/nis...-tpms-installed-new-wheels-2.html#post1713627
Thank you, I am familiar with the tap method on several Nissans. Just can not locate the interface for the juke.
I live on country roads so it is not an issue to inflate/deflate the tires, initiate the system and drive.

#10 ·
Picked up 4 ebay used OEM at $12 each and had them installed when I mounted new shoes today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.