Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

Juke Wine Rack Grill Options

35K views 50 replies 30 participants last post by  Macgyver 
#1 ·
I was thinking of ordering these to cover the wine rack sized openings of the front bumper:
customcargrills.com - Nissan
I saw some people talking about them in a "Dipped Grill" thread. Looks nice. :)
Has anyone tried anyother grill covers? Are there any? I can't seem to find any other options out there.
Thanks in advance! :)

#2 ·
the juke that is their demo on their website is owned by our very own curious. he seems quite pleased with them.

#3 ·
I have these and they work very well. There are a few points for installation though. These grills have a "top" and a "bottom". if you install one upside down, the mesh pattern will look different from the other two, more opaque. Also, for mounting the bottom portion of the grill, the supplied adhesive tabs won't stay attached on the bumper. I ended up using small screws to mount the tabs after positioning them with the self-stick bottom.

I have the black, no chipping, etc. yet. Can't speak for the silver.

#9 ·
I used the adhesive tabs and so far, they're holding up ok. No high pressure direct nozzle hits seem to help. However, upon further time with the set up, I think I would prefer a one-piece grille behind the ovals as some others have done.

Do you have pics of the behind the grille ones?
I just got my covers in today. Can't wait to pop them on!

#10 ·
Komikino :
There is a lot already written on this subject in the Forum on different methods but I ordered the Grills from the US through Custom Car Grills (Matt Sparks) and the contact, delivery and service was excellent. My goal when fitting these parts was to be able to open the grills and if needed remove them quickly (no ABE Type Approval for these parts for Germany). What I have done is to use Std parts from a "Do It Yourself" store and modify as necessary. I have used the Ties supplied at the Top but at the Bottom I have modified a Std bracket with double sided tape underneath and used the screws supplied to fix to the body. The Grill is then held at the top by the Tie and screwed with a self tapping screw at the bottom with spacers behind the screw head and in front and in front of the bracket to prevent swelling of the Grill Rubber Surround when screwed up. The Grill can be swivelled for access cleaning, maintenance etc. The Grill Mesh direction is important due to visual coloring effect matt or gloss and I positioned the Grills with the Rubber Seal join at the top which is less visual when observed from the front. Black Screws were also used to give a better overall effect. Installation was completed this week and the results in my opinion are very satisfying.
The third pic shows the Grill swivelled around the top Tie.
Hope these comments help - Dave

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Grille
Footwear Grille Mesh Shoe Metal
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Sport utility vehicle

#12 · (Edited)
I like the custom bottom brackets you added to the Ovals to hold the grill in place...makes for an easy "lift up" for cleaning...

I can't believe how many folks have installed these now.... I'm glad to have worked with Matt at Customcargrills to develope the original templates for these....I've had mine installed on my Juke for over a year now and holding up amazingly well! And yes...thats my Juke on Customcargrills.com website...

http://customcargrills.com/products.asp?cat=64

#11 · (Edited)
Not bad.. But I was forced to use what I've got, found or was able to acquire from my wife company.. They have a metal smithing shop and a few water jet machines.. Thou I'm very lucky have been given these aluminum sheets which have been honey combed cut, I've simply placed these inside the grille openings and attached with heavy duty black tie wraps.. Not pretty, but very simple to have done. Taking about 1 hour to complete. Even had two other Juke owners request that I do the same to their Jukes.
Read more? ( Honey Comb, Honey Comb...)

If I could gain some leeway on acquiring these sheets, (which are only produced once ever 6 months or so) I was thinking of creating a grille kit to sell to other juke owners.. Still in the works.

#15 · (Edited)
I chose not to use the swivels because I was worried about snow and ice ripping the grills off. So I used three L brackets. One on each side (these are what I screwed the grill to) and one on the bottom so the grill to act as a back stop. I have had them on for about a year now and they have not budged.

Attachments

This post has been deleted
#16 ·
wow..now thats alot of brackets there JLG!

I do like Dave's tapped hole bracket approach alot...very clean looking and a nice one screw approach for easy liftup of the grill for cleaning...I am glad to see Customcargrils will be using these in their kits now... If my epoxied down swivel mounts ever do fall off I'll have to have Matt send me some brackets...
Yeah it looks good. LOL...I have a problem with way over analyzing things and doing way more than needs to be done. I have to tell myself often to use the KISS(keep it simple stupid) principle but rarely stick to it. I also had it in my head that I would not use zip-ties.

#17 ·
curious /jlgurne, I am glad you guys appreciate this solution so just to fill you in a little more here are some pics of what the parts looked like before assembling them and the finished bracket installed. Std Bracket + rubber backed with double sided tape ( 1 sided only ) + again a strip of double sided tape for adhesion to auto + screw for fixing. Hope this helps you if required !!

Room
Bumper Games Metal
Product Mesh Grille Metal

#20 ·
I fabricated this prototype and it seems that it will fit just right on the grille. I'll test fit it tomorrow, if it fits the other two are ready to be made. DIY instructions will follow if the fit is successful... :cool:

Product Filter Circle Grille Metal

#22 ·
I took it off one of my old desk tops that was laying around and painted it black...

#24 ·
#28 ·
Removing the tape and applying the epoxy is a great idea.

Also removing the generic looking white square tape from the swivel base and alcohol prepping and reapplying that super strong, super sticky 3M double sided foam tape (Same tape used for badging. that we need chemicals or heat to debadge. I think CCR mentioned it being called 3M Red Back.)
It's another alternative to using their taped swivel base and putting holes in your winerack with a dreaded screw.

You need to prep area with alcohol to ensure a good solid stick to the grained plastic. (removes any armor-all type material on the wine rack area and finger prints/oils from the swivel back)

If you just need to use a screw, I think a stainless steel self taping screw is good to avoid any future corrosion growth on the screws. (not that the plastic will rust...lol)

They should have used a company that make swivel bases with 3M Red Back Tape not that all purpose indoor looking double sided tape.

3M™ Pressure Sensitive Acrylic Foam Tapes

#30 ·
What type of alcohol should be used to clean the surface of the bumper and swivel mounts. I would assume rubbing alcohol but you can never be to sure. Also where can you buy rubbing alcohol. It seems like such a common household item but I've never needed it for anything until now.

#32 ·
Going to have to check out those videos when I get home tonight. I did mine last night using the instructions on their website. The only thing I did was because the tape didn't stick and they gave me some screws so I screwed in the mounting brackets at the bottom. The seem in there pretty well but don't like that they didn't have me support the sides, although they gave me enough brackets to do the sides they didn't seem to fit right so I didn't put them in. I was able to cut the ends off of all the ties. See my pics I think they came out well.

#34 ·
Am I the only one that thinks these grill covers look tacky as hell with the way they are mounted on? zip-ties? I mean really? Looks like something you rigged up because you had no other option to install these, zip-ties are one step above duct tape in my book, and thats almost the last resort.

#35 ·
I like the idea but never really liked the execution. They need to be set back farther in or even redesigned. I like mods that don't impeded access to things.
I like the screen that's set closer to the AC condenser and Intercooler. Sort of how some Semi trucks have their screens mounted.
It's obviously not for everyone, just like Caliper covers are not for everyone.

#37 ·
Where can I find some small Plastic "L" brackets for mine? I have used the swivel bases and did not have any luck with them holding in place. There has to be a better way to install them. I have trouble with the blind hole access on the bottom one. Mine still sit in the garage for...two months now. I am dissapointed, but I must be the only one. I checked the hardware store today for options but found nothing in all those little drawers that could help.

If someone could design some real protection out a one piece screen or a CNC aluminum guard,they would have a real winner as I have not seen anything on the market but these.

#41 · (Edited)
My Juke with Grill

So I finally installed my grills. The first step was to remove the adhesive tape from the swivel mounts. I then scuffed up the surface with some sand paper before applying a 5 minute poxy. I also made sure the bumper was clean and dry. After putting the mounts in place I used the screws that came with the kit for added reinforcement.

After placing all 3 swivel joints I drilled a hole in the top as suggested earlier in this thread and attached each grill.

To be honest with you I was hesitant to use these grills. I was unimpressed after seeing the pictures that others took and wanted something that looked better. I looked into finding alternate ways but I couldn't find any that were as easy to install and well within my budget.

Having said that once I installed them on my car they looked much better in person then I was expecting. I'm excited to have these installed and in place. For those of you worried about the look and the zip ties used to hold them in place. I wouldn't worry. They look a lot better in person and none of my friends noticed the zip ties until I pointed them out.

I did however make a small mistake which I have since fixed. I had intended to install all 3 grills the same way so that the radiator behind the grills was less visible. But I got stupid when I put in the middle grill and did it backwards. In the last picture you can see how the radiator behind the middle grill is a lot more visible.

So in short I'm 90% satisfied with the grills and would definately recommend them to anyone worried about their radiator. They really do look good in person and the best fix would be a whole new bumper that has a better design then the one that currently comes with the Juke.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.