Tire pressure: What pressure do you run? - Page 2
NEWS
 

  1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

    Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Tire pressure: What pressure do you run?

  1. #11
    Moderator msagustin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    4,148
    Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    I'm running General Altimax winter tires on the OEM wheels...just a tad stiffer ride. No problems so far, had them installed on Friday 12/17/10.
    Nice. It got some pretty high marks.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements
     

  3. #12
    Moderator curious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Rancho Mirage, CA
    Posts
    5,925
    well stated cycle4fun...

    Here's the required pressures straight from the MANUAL!! Imagine that!? LOL...Recommended by the Nissan engineers for maximum performance.

    Cold
    33 psi 2WD MT
    36 psi 2WD CVT
    34 psi AWD
    SL MT FWD: GunMetallic

    Mods: EcuTek Stage 2 with 16/18/20psi Boost Select / Turboback (GTM 2.5" DownPipe, Injen 3" Catback & Testpipe) / Clutch Masters FX300 / Forge Intercooler Kit / Injen CAI / Synapse DV & Charge Pipe / Saikou Michi Dual OCC's (PCV & Intake) / WB AFR & Boost Gauges / Eibach Springs / IRZ Strut Bar / Wheels (225/50-18x8+35) / Spoiler / Racing Pedals / All LEDs / Nismo Gators

    Performance Goal: 235whp (wheels) / 270hp (engine) / 250tq

    More Pics...


  4. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    I'm running General Altimax winter tires on the OEM wheels...just a tad stiffer ride. No problems so far, had them installed on Friday 12/17/10.
    How do you like the Generals? I've got a set ready to go on my Juke when i get it. They have some great reviews.
    2011 Juke SV CVT AWD - Gun Metallic

  5. #14
    Senior Member wave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Muranowner View Post
    How do you like the Generals? I've got a set ready to go on my Juke when i get it. They have some great reviews.
    Wish we could get a decent amount of snow around here to give you a first hand review. They do look nicely aggressive and the only reason I went to 40PSI was because some guy on the Tire Rack review said his car drove better that way. I have to agree...I went down to 35PSI today and it feels like my car wanders a bit on dry pavement.

  6. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    245
    Thanks - i got my Juke now and i think i will bolt them on today.

    I'm looking forward to some snow too, but i hate to get my Juke dirty.
    2011 Juke SV CVT AWD - Gun Metallic

  7. #16
    Senior Member FranceToulousePierre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    FRANCE TOULOUSE
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    Wish we could get a decent amount of snow around here to give you a first hand review. They do look nicely aggressive and the only reason I went to 40PSI was because some guy on the Tire Rack review said his car drove better that way. I have to agree...I went down to 35PSI today and it feels like my car wanders a bit on dry pavement.
    In french Nissan shop, the nominal pressure is 36PSI.

    It seems already hight .
    Do not hesitate to correct my English, you help me

    http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/2615/signture4.jpg

  8. #17
    Senior Member mralexny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    165
    I have the stock Goodyears
    I just lower the air pressure for a softer ride yesterday.
    28 in the front
    26 in the rear
    I immediately noticed the difference on the ride and the reduced road noise.
    I'm not worried about gas milege

    Had my Froginator for 2 months 600 miles.
    Still breaking her in.

  9. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by mralexny View Post
    I have the stock Goodyears
    I just lower the air pressure for a softer ride yesterday.
    28 in the front
    26 in the rear
    I immediately noticed the difference on the ride and the reduced road noise.
    I'm not worried about gas milege

    Had my Froginator for 2 months 600 miles.
    Still breaking her in.

    I would suggest trying something less drastic. 10 psi is alot of pressure drop. 36 is the recommended pressure for the vehicle load. You are running way under pressure, as a result, yes you are getting a softer ride because there is less air in the tire and you are getting more side wall flex.

    You're goign to cause an increase in tire wear, especially side wall strenght reduction. Not to mention the decreased footprint you now have. THere is plenty of documentation available about running with too low a tire pressure. Go to the Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels and read up. THere are tire manufacturer provided photos of how much grip you are loosing due to a severe under inflation. You are currently running @33% under inflated. Far too much. Try to keep your numbers with in 10% of the rated load.

    THe stock eagle tires are just crap. They are hard and noise. IT's just a crap tire and a fact of life. If the tire bothers you that much replace it with a touring tire for increased ride comfort. Decreaseing the tire pressure to make a bad tire feel good is not the right direction to go.

    For the rest of you peeps wondering what the best tire pressure is. Read the door jam on your drivers side. It has the correct pressure for you particular model.

    Unless you change your tire/rim package there is no reason to alter from this number. This number is a calculated number based on the vehicles weight and distribution to provide optimum effeciency in both grip and economy.

    Anythign more than 10% above or below this number and you have over or under inflated your tire and therefore caused a reduction in grip.

    I dare say that TIRE GRIP is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT part of you car's operation. Everything your car does (cept maybe a/c perferformance and your wiper blades) depends on this factor. How well you car brakes, accelerates, handles an emergency manuver, all this relies on your tires.

    Run your tires in the recommended tire pressure window and stay safe. IMO, gaining a 2mpg from over inflating your tire by 10 psi is not worth the risk to yourself or another due to reduced tire traction.

    Also, there are very few tires/rim options that will actually change your air pressure needs. Most tires follow a standerized pressure rating. There are a few that don't. The front tires I have on my del sol (Fusion ZRi's) don't. So long as your tires follow the standarized pressure ratings you dont' change your tire pressure. That means if you go from a 215/45/18 to a 245/25/20 tire, the pressure stays the same. Lower profile tires don't need more air, the side walls are stiffer to account for their reduced height. If the load rating on the tire is the same, then the pressure is to follow the manufactures (car, not the tire) pressure numbers.

    Don't look at that number on teh side wall either. It's meaningless to the average consumer. For example, our goodyear RS-A tires are rated 44psi@1433lbs. This means that inorder to run the tire at it's maxium load of 1433 lbs you need a tire inflation pressure of 44psi cold. If you inflate your tires to 44psi, then you are expecting a maxiumum load of 5732 lbs. Our Jukes are heavy, but ****.. they're not that heavy. You're a ton over in your expected weight, buy doing this. That much of a weight offset and you WILL see a reduction in tire traction. You're just too far off the mark. This is why our are set at @36 psi. At that pressure the expected vehicle weight is the Juke's wieght plus it's maxiumum payload capacity.

    There are more factors involved, such as front/rear weight bias etc. but I hope you get the idea of what's going on.

    Simply put. Inflate to the car's spec tag for maximum life expectancy. (of both the tire and yourself)

  10. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Devil View Post
    I would suggest trying something less drastic. 10 psi is alot of pressure drop. 36 is the recommended pressure for the vehicle load. You are running way under pressure, as a result, yes you are getting a softer ride because there is less air in the tire and you are getting more side wall flex.

    You're goign to cause an increase in tire wear, especially side wall strenght reduction. Not to mention the decreased footprint you now have. THere is plenty of documentation available about running with too low a tire pressure. Go to the Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels and read up. THere are tire manufacturer provided photos of how much grip you are loosing due to a severe under inflation. You are currently running @33% under inflated. Far too much. Try to keep your numbers with in 10% of the rated load.

    THe stock eagle tires are just crap. They are hard and noise. IT's just a crap tire and a fact of life. If the tire bothers you that much replace it with a touring tire for increased ride comfort. Decreaseing the tire pressure to make a bad tire feel good is not the right direction to go.

    For the rest of you peeps wondering what the best tire pressure is. Read the door jam on your drivers side. It has the correct pressure for you particular model.

    Unless you change your tire/rim package there is no reason to alter from this number. This number is a calculated number based on the vehicles weight and distribution to provide optimum effeciency in both grip and economy.

    Anythign more than 10% above or below this number and you have over or under inflated your tire and therefore caused a reduction in grip.

    I dare say that TIRE GRIP is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT part of you car's operation. Everything your car does (cept maybe a/c perferformance and your wiper blades) depends on this factor. How well you car brakes, accelerates, handles an emergency manuver, all this relies on your tires.

    Run your tires in the recommended tire pressure window and stay safe. IMO, gaining a 2mpg from over inflating your tire by 10 psi is not worth the risk to yourself or another due to reduced tire traction.

    Also, there are very few tires/rim options that will actually change your air pressure needs. Most tires follow a standerized pressure rating. There are a few that don't. The front tires I have on my del sol (Fusion ZRi's) don't. So long as your tires follow the standarized pressure ratings you dont' change your tire pressure. That means if you go from a 215/45/18 to a 245/25/20 tire, the pressure stays the same. Lower profile tires don't need more air, the side walls are stiffer to account for their reduced height. If the load rating on the tire is the same, then the pressure is to follow the manufactures (car, not the tire) pressure numbers.

    Don't look at that number on teh side wall either. It's meaningless to the average consumer. For example, our goodyear RS-A tires are rated 44psi@1433lbs. This means that inorder to run the tire at it's maxium load of 1433 lbs you need a tire inflation pressure of 44psi cold. If you inflate your tires to 44psi, then you are expecting a maxiumum load of 5732 lbs. Our Jukes are heavy, but ****.. they're not that heavy. You're a ton over in your expected weight, buy doing this. That much of a weight offset and you WILL see a reduction in tire traction. You're just too far off the mark. This is why our are set at @36 psi. At that pressure the expected vehicle weight is the Juke's wieght plus it's maxiumum payload capacity.

    There are more factors involved, such as front/rear weight bias etc. but I hope you get the idea of what's going on.

    Simply put. Inflate to the car's spec tag for maximum life expectancy. (of both the tire and yourself)
    I agree 100% with Jersey Devil. Eventually the OEMs will wear out and you can opt for a decent set of rubber. Until then, keep the inflation where it needs to be and grin & bear it.

  11. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Marion, IA USA
    Posts
    227
    When I bought my Juke the dealer had the tires at a ridiculous 42+ psi. It rode terrible and made a lot of noise. I dropped them to 33 and the ride quality is much improved (no different in mpg either). Unless you are autocrossing or towing a load/fully loaded I would stay away from the max end of the range.

  12. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements
     

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Similar Threads

  1. 2011 Juke tire pressure monitor issue
    By mile31 in forum Nissan Juke Engine Discussion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-19-2014, 03:58 AM
  2. Factory boost pressure?
    By Mercennarius in forum Nissan Juke Engine Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-18-2014, 03:45 PM
  3. Tire Pressure Management System
    By DanTheMan in forum Nissan Juke General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 08:34 PM
  4. Wheel and Tire Help Please!
    By jukeekuj in forum Nissan Juke Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-03-2013, 08:50 PM
  5. Check your tire pressure
    By East Bay J in forum Nissan Juke General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-22-2011, 02:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2