Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

Cyclic Resonance Noise at 60mph and 75mph Please Help

11K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  bennyboy783 
#1 ·
I have owned my Juke for almost a year and have put 20000 miles of mostly fun drives.

However I have this annoying resonance, rhythm, cyclic, I don't know how to describe it properly. Its been doing it since I bought it last year. The noise is not constant, its like a resonance of a fine vibration. At around 60 mph I start hearing this noise but very faint, then fade away. Around 70mph it start making that noise again, up to 75mph when it is loudest. 78mph and up the noise is gone again. It sounds like whooo..... whooo.... whooo... with fading in and out between noises, like rrrrRRRRrrrrr.....rrrrRRRRrrrr.....rrrrRRRRrrrr.... When going straight, the frequency is about 1 Hz. Turning left, frequency increases depending on how hard I turn, up to 3 Hz or so. Turning right, frequency lowers like 0.4 Hz or so. Noise can be heard loudest at the left (driver's) side sitting position. Passenger side, noise is not as loud.

The noise is totally dependent on speed and wheel turning. Acceleration, deceleration, braking, transmission in neutral, etc. have no effect.

The car is perfectly smooth below 60 mph, thats why I have let it slide for so long since I don't drive on the highways that often.

I have done these:

1. Found a slightly bent rim on rear right. Bought another rim, put all new tires. Absolutely no difference in noise characteristics.
2. Replaced all front brake rotors and pads (because it was vibrating when braking). Brakes smooth but noise remains.
3. Put used tire on the bent rim, test install it to every axle points with test drive each. No difference.
4. Complained to dealership. They replaced right side front wheel bearing first. No difference. They replaced the other side front. No difference.
5. Dealer gave up and said to wait until it gets worse. Hasn't gotten worse in almost a year. I asked to consider rear wheel bearings. They brushed it off.
6. A friend sitting on rear left said the noise coming from rear left. Aha, I thought. So I went and replaced rear left wheel bearing myself. Noise is reduced, but still there.
7. Replaced rear brake rotors and pads. Found inner pad sticking. Brakes good, but noise remains, although still in reduced level state from point number 6 above.

So there is a difference since point number 6. Examining the old and new wheel bearing that I replaced (hub assembly), there were no obvious damage to the old hub assembly. the only difference is the new one is slightly stiffer.

Do you think I should replace the right wheel bearing as well? What do you think the rationale of the noise remaining but lessened by replacing a wheel bearing?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I saw another thread taking about road noise, described as "droning". I have heard this kind of sound at highway speeds often and it is bothersome. mentioned to dealer twice but they could not replicate it. Took service rep on test drive today and he heard it, have it booked to go in on Friday, will let you know if they find anything. other posts have talked about problems with the transfer case, or wheel bearing issue. Will see what this is

#4 ·
Either tire wear noise or wheel bearing.

#5 ·
mine is AWD, just picked it back up from dealership. there comment was that the noise was coming from the front tires which seem to be scalloping at 29,000 kms (18,000 miles). That might be acceptable except no scalloping on rear tires, and all tires were rotated 24,540 kms and had mentioned same problem when other tires that were on the front are still not scalloped. Have to wait till after the long weekend to have another discussion with them.

#6 ·
Have never seen front tires scallop on any FWD or FWD-based AWD Nissan. The rears always scallop when the rear alignment is out of spec.

#7 ·
Solved! It was rear right bearing! Should have considered the tell tale signs:

1. Rhythm frequency increases as veering/turning left (typical bearing symptom).
2. Found bent wheel on that spot.
3. Noise unclear where it came from, but when laying down on the back with the seats down it was pretty clear coming from rear (but was not clear left or right). The "solid" rear suspension of the FWD juke transfer all noises to both sides it seems.

5 visits to the dealer. They refused to consider rear hubs for some reason. Their reasoning was:
1. Noise was not constant. They insist that wheel bearing problem noise always constant (not rhythmic). Tried to blame wheels, tires, or suspension parts.
2. They (multiple dealerships) already replaced both front wheel bearings. They said "no more throwing parts at it."
3. They couldn't hear the noise, or the noise is "not loud enough." They actually said "just turn up the radio" and "wait until it gets worse." Same exact noise for 20000 miles.

So I put matters to my own hands. At $100 a hub (Timken) its not too bad considering all the time wasted dealing with the dealers. It was pretty straightforward except that the old hub was frozen/rusted to the heat shield / parking brake assembly. Lots of freeze off / pb blaster, disassembled parking brake, and slowly tap away. Came right out. This way I could preserve the original hub (just in case it was not the problem). Put grease around fittings so next time it would be easier. (hopefully no need for next time any time soon though).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.