Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

Juke did great camping

9K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  kev604 
#1 ·
We set out for darker skies in the juke this weekend. The juke did really well. The back was tight; I had to pile blankets and pillows on last and have two people push the hatch shut (compressing them), and my cargo carrier was loaded to capacity. But 2 adults and 2 kids (one mine and one not) had all of the food, water and camping equipment we needed for 3d and 2n and wanted for nothing.

Where we went a line on the map does not a road make. Our GPS would turn us onto these fire roads for 9-10 miles winding up and over a hill because the paved alternative was 30-40 miles around. The juke performed beautifully, I never bottomed out, never slipped even though we were going up steep dirt and rocks. My only fear was a blowout. It was very nice. We seen and experienced untouched unspoiled PA wild (if you exclude the gas wells and logging camps [sigh]) and it was awesome. Not bad for my everyday vehicle.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Nissan juke Sport utility vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Nissan juke

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
You're right, I did not. My apologies.

We were in Potter County PA, about 60 miles north east of the Allegheny national forest.

We stayed at the Allegheny river campground. this area is considered the darkest sky on the eastern seaboard because all settlements are in valleys and there is no light pollution. I also had my 6in reflector telescope with us so we took advantage.

PA DCNR - Cherry Springs State Park

https://alleghenyrivercampground.com/

#9 ·
I think as long as you stay out of the mud you will be fine. It has enough ground clearance to handle SMALL ruts and gravel and dirt. There was a very steep part I think I would have had trouble with if I had FWD only, and if I went a little faster I would have went right up it, but other than that traction was not really an issue.

#11 ·
Cool! Thanks.

Also keep in mind having the right tires for the situation goes a long way rather than AWD vs FWD ie. I would rather drive in snow with a FWD with 4 good snow tires rather than a AWD with 4 crappy all seasons.
Good point. I guess I have crappy all seasons? Whatever came on the car is what I have. We don't get much snow here, but I'm glad to know it's the tires that make the difference. Thanks for the info.

#12 ·
Oh man that is so true, my RS came with summer tires and they are less than useless in the snow. 4 snows and the juke is unstoppable. I have never seen AT's on a juke before so as long as it is dry your all seasons will do fine. Just watch out for anything that can scrape your sidewall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.