Cargo Area Floor Mats (with seats down)?

1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums – General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cargo Area Floor Mats (with seats down)?

Cargo Area Floor Mats (with seats down)?

Is anyone yet making a good floor mat to cover the entire cargo area with the rear seats down?
    "When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people."
    --- Abraham Joshua Heschel

Red Frog: OLD: 2011 Juke SL AWD - Cayenne Red / NEW: 2013 Chevy Equinox LTZ AWD V6 - Crystal Red
    Orange Prince: 2012 Corvette GS Coupe - Inferno Orange Metallic
    Snow White: 2010 Altima Coupe 3.5SR - Winter Frost - lots of mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

I haven't seen any, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Do they typically make them for other cars?
    ~ 2012 Electric Blue SV AWD Juke with black cloth & silver interior ~
    additions: spoiler, mud guards, UK armrest,
    K&N filter, Ventureshield paint protection film, fog lights, auto dimming Homelink mirror, exhaust finisher, cargo cover, bumper protector, mesh grill kit, deadpedal rubber tread cover

I've seen them for other cars.
    "When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people."
    --- Abraham Joshua Heschel

Red Frog: OLD: 2011 Juke SL AWD - Cayenne Red / NEW: 2013 Chevy Equinox LTZ AWD V6 - Crystal Red
    Orange Prince: 2012 Corvette GS Coupe - Inferno Orange Metallic
    Snow White: 2010 Altima Coupe 3.5SR - Winter Frost - lots of mods

It might be one of those rarely sold items, especially for our Jukes.
    I think it would have to be very flexible in order to fold away when you put the seats back up.

When I fold my seats down to carry stuff, I just throw down an old thick blanket.

I've seen people cut up those heavy rubber truck bed mats to fit.
    2011 Nissan Juke SL AWD CVT
    Cayenne Red
    2012 Nissan Juke SV AWD CVT

Electric Blue
    Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
    TAKE THE COLOR POLL

I use a 4x6 cheap front door entry mat I got at a local menards. Fits just about perfect and it was the right color. I think it was $9.99
    2012 AWD SL
    Sapphire black
    . Spoiler, Splash Guards, UK armrest, Self dimming mirror w/homelink and compass, allweather floormats and regular mats,Dual Exhaust,Stillen Strut Bar,Injen SRI

Hello,

I'm discussing with Mike's Custom getting some custom Lloyd mats for the back of my Juke with the seats down. Lloyds mats does a variety of styles. He's estimating about $100.

Mikes: Mike's Custom Car Care Products eBay Store About My Store
    Lloyds: custom fit automobile floor mats for all makes and models

bert

Do you all haul messy stuff, or do you even use a mat/blanket for regular stuff (boxes, luggage, Costco items, etc)? Since I don't haul garden supplies or anything like that I haven't found the need...I'm just careful with what I put in there and how I place it.
    ~ 2012 Electric Blue SV AWD Juke with black cloth & silver interior ~
    additions: spoiler, mud guards, UK armrest,
    K&N filter, Ventureshield paint protection film, fog lights, auto dimming Homelink mirror, exhaust finisher, cargo cover, bumper protector, mesh grill kit, deadpedal rubber tread cover

You could get those Honey Comb mats that you can cut to fit.

I finally got my rear mats completed for my AWD SL Juke.

Cargo Area Floor Mats (with seats down)?-img_0204.jpg

My requirements might be a little different than others so let me explain. I’m a skier and I bought my Juke expressly for my one day trips from Portland to Mt Hood. In the winter I generally only go when the weather is BAD with lots of snow and difficult driving conditions. I have found the Juke to be an excellent vehicle for this sort weather, maybe even better than my wife’s XC70. But when I go skiing on these days, my ski clothing is WET from snow and shear perspiration and putting it in an unprotected interior is not a good idea and the amount of my “stuff” exceeds the are of the rear cargo compartment.

My original thought was to get a mat that covered both the rear cargo area and the extra area that is available when the rear seat is down. I started down this path and found out that Lloyds Mats can do custom rubber mats but they want you to order through Mike’s Customs. Mike's Custom Car Care Products eBay Store About My Store

However, having a rear mat that large could be a real pain removing and installing it. In the summer, (I ski between 6000 and 8500 feet on the Palmer Snow field at Timberline well into August Summer Ski & Ride | Timberline Lodge ), my stuff is not wet and I would prefer to put the rear seat up. So, why not have a mat set up so I could easily raise and lower the back seat without having to remove a gargantuan full size mat. My thinking was that I could cut the full size mat and so that there would be a part for the rear seat and a part for the cargo area. I’d have to cut the rear seat section in two so I can raise either seat and ideally that part would stay fixed to the rear seat back so I could raise the seat with the mat attached. There will likely be cases where I change my mind and want to lower the seat and have the rubber mat surface, so having the mat attached to the back of the seat is attractive. After seeing a pic on the Juke site with the user manual holder clinging to the carpet on the back of the rear seat, I thought that I could use Velcro on the mats to hold the mat on the back of the seat when it was raised. The carpet is a really good mate for the Velcro “hooks” side.

In summary, it all worked out sort of… and when I get some more cash and time, I may revise what I have done but I thought that I would share my experiences with others.

Making Custom Mats

After talking to one of the mat suppliers on the web, they gave me the number of Lloyds mats about getting custom mat done. Lloyds said they could not take my order directly and referred me to Mikes, (above link). Mike had Lloyds send me their custom “kit” which was several sheets of paper with directions in a mailing tube. The idea is that you cut the paper to the size that you want by laying it on the floor and Lloyds would cut your mat to that size. I had to tape these sheets together to get something big enough. Here is a pic of what that looked like.

Cargo Area Floor Mats (with seats down)?-img_0158.jpg

After I got the cut mat back, I was not all that satisfied with the fit. My guess is that the paper form was sloppy enough that errors crept in. If I had to do this again, I would try to use something with more consistency like a heavy Mylar sheet or something similar. Still what I had was usable.

Cargo Area Floor Mats (with seats down)?-img_0183.jpg

Note that I purposely picked a tan color to reduce the amount of black (heat absorbing and dirt showing) in what I call the “black hole of the Juke interior. I made my best guess where to cut the mat into 3 sections. Cargo, and left/right seat back. At this point, I started thinking about how to secure the Velcro to the seat back mat. (I considered mat securing hooks and buttons but I would prefer to keep the surface clean so I can remove the mats and load something that needs a softer surface. No need for Velcro on the cargo space mat.) I tried several approaches, including sticky back and non sticky Velcro that needs to be secured with glue or stitching. I don’t have access to an industrial strength sewing machine so I focused on sticky back and glue.

Mike had told me that he had good luck with sticky back Velcro after heating the mat. In addition, I clipped off the “nubs” that protruded from the mat to keep it in place, used sand paper to rough up the surface and alcohol to clean off any grease or oil. I didn’t do anything more scientific than a hand pull test but the 3M sticky back Velcros (industrial strength and the two commercial grade versions) came off pretty easily. Test strips with household Goop and Pliobond 25-LV did very well and the sticky back Velcro that I got from the Mill End store did just about as well. NONE of the Guerrilla products adhered to the mat. I decided to just go with that sticky back Velcro to make things simple and then keep the strips short to avoid having any problems.

Cargo Area Floor Mats (with seats down)?-img_0189.jpg

After installing the Velcro, I kept the strips under pressure with clamps for 24 hours before installing more.

Cargo Area Floor Mats (with seats down)?-img_0208.jpg
    As you can see from the picture, I put a LOT of Velcro on, since I was concerned about the mat slowly separating from the seat back when in the up position. However, positioning the mat with that much Velcro is challenge. Obviously fit around the edge of the seat is important but since I wanted the mat to be able to rise with the seat with minimal effort, the fit along the bottom of the seat mat is important. I found setting the mat back from the cargo floor about a half an inch allowed me to raise the seat with me having to push down on the bottom of the mat a little bit.
    Cargo Area Floor Mats (with seats down)?-img_0206.jpg

I also had to put Velcro on the flap that otherwise would get hung up on foam tire ring.

Cargo Area Floor Mats (with seats down)?-img_0207.jpg

There is obviously a gap where the seat mat meets the cargo mat (lower left corner of above picture) as well as between the seats. If I pushed up the cargo mat I can minimize the gap between the cargo section and the seat section. Then, the mat section for the cargo area was too short and had gaps at the rear. The thing that is tricky is that the length of mat that is required is more if you plan to fold the seats up. If I were to do this again, I would cut separate sections from the start. Also, in places the Velcro sticks better to the back of the seat than to mat so maybe one of the glue options would be somewhat better. I don’t plan on moving the mat around much so maybe I can live with what I have.

On other issue is the “smell” of the Lloyd mats. When new they smelled like my wife’s hair coloring product. (Loreal). Washing them with alcohol helped and leaving them sit in the sun for a few days helped, but the smell (while tolerable NOW) still overwhelms my 3000 mile new car smell. I had purchased Weathercraft front mats that had NO smell. (I’m NOT happy with them because the driver side mat does not extend under the pedals or on the raised part on the left where I put my feet so that carpet in those areas is dirty. Apparently many of the mat manufacturers have become worried about mats interfering with the pedals and shortened them.) I am considering doing Lloyd “custom mats” for the front but I want to see what my back mats smell like in the summer.

Next Steps

I’ll probably cut a new mat for the cargo area (I’m not sure if the factory mat will be long enough) or I could play with adding clear plastic backing to the seat mats to cover the gaps or just live with that I have. At this point, I want to live with what I have before I do anything else. I've been focusing on the gas mileage issue with the Juke and I have some ideas about how to measure consumption under different conditions. I also plan to put a ski box on the top, improve the interior lighting and do some sound proofing.

Hopefully this “tome” will be helpful to anyone else who wants to embark on anything this ambitious.
    Cayenne Red SL 2012 AWD, Injen CAI, 2Js racing pulley, some interior LEDs, custom Magnaflow exhaust, LOTS of sound proofing, Nokian WR G2 tires

This question was asked about 6 months ago and I took it upon myself to email my good friend Steve over at Husky Liners.. I forward this same question to Steve and according to him. Husky wasn't going to produce a "Full Coverage" cargo liner. However, he also told me that If anyone wanted a full, extended liner, he would gladly include a liner blank.. Nothing more then an extra section of the cargo bay liner which can be used when the seats are folded down. If this is an option for you, send Steve an email asking for the extra liner sample.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.