Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

Check your tire pressure

11K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  East Bay J 
#1 ·
So ,we've all heard it a million times, and I just want to remind ya all to check your tire pressure regularly. Case in point; My 2 prior tanks of all city driving were getting me about 20.5mpg (I do tend to drive my Juke like a motorcycle so I wasn't too surprized). When I filled up my last tank I checked my tire pressure (had not done this for about 4 months) and all tires were at about 30psi. Filled them to 36psi and with pretty much the same all city driving my mileage improved to 24mpg.

All I can say is "Duh!". Looks like I'll be replacing the air in my tires with nitrogen ASAP. Did this on my 2004 Frontier and I could go 8-10 months with absolutely no tire pressure loss.
JJ

#7 ·
Nitrogen is such a waste of money unless you are racing at a professional level.
Here in Northern California places like Costco and Big-O tires do it for free if you buy your tires from them (Costco never checks this). I definitely would not pay $5-$10 per tire for this service.
JJ

#4 ·
The temperature has cooled off a lot in the last 4 months. That has something to do with your pressure loss.

#8 · (Edited)
Unless it is in a race car, where a very small air pressure change can drastically alter the handling of the car, nitrogen inflation is a pretty crazy waste of money. "Air" is already 78.1% Nitrogen. What are you gaining, really, but putting "pure" nitrogen in the tires? Think about it.

#14 ·
I would agree that the normal driver would not see any difference in handling and performance when using nitrogen vs compressed air, however, there are at least two significant benefits that I have experienced firsthand:
1) The time between air top-offs is greatly increased. In other words nitrogen filled tires will hold their tire pressure much much longer than air filled tires (at least 2-3 times longer). This is because nitrogen molecules are larger than air molecules reducing the rate at which air diffuses thru the tire walls. Not really a concern if you are diligent about checking your tires on a monthly basis, but definitely an added convenience. For most people this will result in better mpg's & more uniform tire wear.
2) Tire pressure will be much more consistent with fluctuating temperatures.

For those lazy car owners who do not get around to checking their tire pressure for 6 months at a time, or for those who can get pure nitrogen for free (such as when you buy tires thru Costco) then using nitrogen is definitely a good ideal. If you have to pay $5-$10 per tire for nitrogen then I would say it is probably a waste of money.

JJ

This post has been deleted
#10 · (Edited)
Google search "benefit of nitrogen in tires" and then read some of the info that turns up in the search. Actually a pretty interesting read! Indeed there are pluses to using nitrogen. Again, a very interesting read.
Yes there is , if your racing Formula 1 or World Challenge. The problem with internet searches is you have to week thru all the BS to find an unbiased truth about it.

#9 ·
From my research I agree Nitrogen is a waste of money. Another thing not too many people think about--check your tires after you vehicle gets serviced (or ask them not to touch them). Routinely my tire place way over-inflates my tires (prior to the Juke-haven't taken it in yet), for whatever reason. Kept forgetting to tell them not to touch them. Hubby learned to check after I got the tires rotated. Oops. Overinflated can also be bad too.

#11 ·
I brought my juke in for it's first oil change and they wrote up a separate ticket just for a "tire Check". I had just put air in them a couple days before so they were all at 35psi, but I wonder if that is just a routine check or if there may be a possible quiet recall on those tires? I've had vehicles in the past that have had tires recalled. They usually try to keep it quiet because after a certain milage they no longer have to recall them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.