Check your tire pressure
NEWS

1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums Ė General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check your tire pressure

Check your tire pressure

So ,we've all heard it a million times, and I just want to remind ya all to check your tire pressure regularly. Case in point; My 2 prior tanks of all city driving were getting me about 20.5mpg (I do tend to drive my Juke like a motorcycle so I wasn't too surprized). When I filled up my last tank I checked my tire pressure (had not done this for about 4 months) and all tires were at about 30psi. Filled them to 36psi and with pretty much the same all city driving my mileage improved to 24mpg.

All I can say is "Duh!". Looks like I'll be replacing the air in my tires with nitrogen ASAP. Did this on my 2004 Frontier and I could go 8-10 months with absolutely no tire pressure loss.
    JJ
    Juke S AWD (Graphite Blue)
    Mods = Injen SRI, Stillen axleback exhaust, Freepower throttle controller, Yakima roofrack w/ basketcase, Botek armrest, Infinity Kappa 6 3/4" Speakers, fully dynamatted doors, floor & roof.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Nitrogen is such a waste of money unless you are racing at a professional level.

If you want to be kinda trick about it, fill the tires at home from you compresser, add a water seperator to your compresser.
    Sure therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

good reminder J... I too have seen better mpg with properly inflated tires... I wonder what the psi is optimal for our stock tires.

Also, this was tested on myth busters... improperly inflated tires will decrease mpg by around 2-4%

The temperature has cooled off a lot in the last 4 months. That has something to do with your pressure loss.
    '11 Chrome Silver SL AWD
    The Mods: 225/50ZR18 General G-Max tires & 18x8 Enkei SR6 gunmetal wheels, Leather U.K. Armrest, U.K. Hood Bug Deflector, Hella Hi Perf headlight bulbs (Please do not buy these... they very prematurely burn out, often), Ion yellow foglight bulbs, Sportwing bodyside moldings, Rear foglight (converted to 4th brake light), LEDs in lizard eyes & side signals, HuskyLiners, EBC Ulltimax slotted rotors & EBC "Green Stuff" pads, Borla axle-back exhaust system.

When does the TPMS kick in?

Quote Originally Posted by thesyguy View Post
    When does the TPMS kick in?
    27 to 29

Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
    Nitrogen is such a waste of money unless you are racing at a professional level.
    Here in Northern California places like Costco and Big-O tires do it for free if you buy your tires from them (Costco never checks this). I definitely would not pay $5-$10 per tire for this service.
    JJ
    Juke S AWD (Graphite Blue)
    Mods = Injen SRI, Stillen axleback exhaust, Freepower throttle controller, Yakima roofrack w/ basketcase, Botek armrest, Infinity Kappa 6 3/4" Speakers, fully dynamatted doors, floor & roof.

Unless it is in a race car, where a very small air pressure change can drastically alter the handling of the car, nitrogen inflation is a pretty crazy waste of money. "Air" is already 78.1% Nitrogen. What are you gaining, really, but putting "pure" nitrogen in the tires? Think about it.
    Last edited by Turbo_Bill; 11-22-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Added race car verbiage.
    '11 Chrome Silver SL AWD
    The Mods: 225/50ZR18 General G-Max tires & 18x8 Enkei SR6 gunmetal wheels, Leather U.K. Armrest, U.K. Hood Bug Deflector, Hella Hi Perf headlight bulbs (Please do not buy these... they very prematurely burn out, often), Ion yellow foglight bulbs, Sportwing bodyside moldings, Rear foglight (converted to 4th brake light), LEDs in lizard eyes & side signals, HuskyLiners, EBC Ulltimax slotted rotors & EBC "Green Stuff" pads, Borla axle-back exhaust system.

From my research I agree Nitrogen is a waste of money. Another thing not too many people think about--check your tires after you vehicle gets serviced (or ask them not to touch them). Routinely my tire place way over-inflates my tires (prior to the Juke-haven't taken it in yet), for whatever reason. Kept forgetting to tell them not to touch them. Hubby learned to check after I got the tires rotated. Oops. Overinflated can also be bad too.
    ~ 2012 Electric Blue SV AWD Juke with black cloth & silver interior ~
    additions: spoiler, mud guards, UK armrest,
    K&N filter, Ventureshield paint protection film, fog lights, auto dimming Homelink mirror, exhaust finisher, cargo cover, bumper protector, mesh grill kit, deadpedal rubber tread cover

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    Google search "benefit of nitrogen in tires" and then read some of the info that turns up in the search. Actually a pretty interesting read! Indeed there are pluses to using nitrogen. Again, a very interesting read.
    Yes there is , if your racing Formula 1 or World Challenge. The problem with internet searches is you have to week thru all the BS to find an unbiased truth about it.
    Last edited by terrasmak; 11-22-2011 at 08:43 AM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.