Towing my Juke behind RV

1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Towing my Juke behind RV

Towing my Juke behind RV

I want to tow my Juke behind my RV, but, unsure if it is best to use a Tow Dolley with only the rear tires on the ground or a straight tow with all 4 wheels on the ground. I'm new to the RV and towing world so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Manual or automatic? FWD or AWD?

Quote Originally Posted by BTCM View Post
    I want to tow my Juke behind my RV, but, unsure if it is best to use a Tow Dolley with only the rear tires on the ground or a straight tow with all 4 wheels on the ground. I'm new to the RV and towing world so please excuse my lack of knowledge.
    Your manual has pictures for the best method to tow the Juke.

It does matter if it is a manual/automatic, and FWD/AWD, on what the best method is.

AWD

I'm guessing you will need to trailer it.
    2011 Juke Sv CVT Happily Traded
    2012 Nissan Rogue (wifes)
    2011 Frontier CC LB 4X4

My guess is that the rear end doesn't have the necessary cooling and oil reserve to pull behind with the front wheels raised. While the clutches won't be engaged while the car is turned off, they will unfortuantely be turning due to the axles. So the drive line will be stationary and the axles will be turning causing the two sections of the clutch packs to be continually spinning inside beside each other. Not a good thing with such a small oil capacity.

Normally, the two halves of the clutch are spinning at or close to the same rate during normal driving. So heat creation will be at a minimum.

PUlling with all 4 on the ground will help the rear end out, as that won't be any different then what the rear end see's during normal driving with the awd system turned off.

HOWEVER, pulling any automatic with the drive wheels on the ground is not a good idea for the same reason stated above. The clutch discs will be spinning with zero lubrication accelerating wear of the fiber backed discs. They do sell kits that plumb into the transmission cooling lines to pump oil while being pulled, but they dont' lubricate all the parts in the trans unfortunately. What gets lubricated depends greatly on the transmission design.

Your best option is to trailer the vehicle with all four wheels off the ground. Other than that don't tow it.

Yes, manual says the AWD needs to have all four wheels off the road (as with any AWD vehicle). You can use a dolley for two of the wheels, but I sure wouldn't. I would want the full trailer. How their vehicle must be towed is something all owners should know, such as for when they may need to call AAA. I would try to find some hands-on instructions as to proper towing safety and help with your set-up.

http://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam...issan-Juke.pdf Pages 264-266
    ~ 2012 Electric Blue SV AWD Juke with black cloth & silver interior ~
    additions: spoiler, mud guards, UK armrest,
    K&N filter, Ventureshield paint protection film, fog lights, auto dimming Homelink mirror, exhaust finisher, cargo cover, bumper protector, mesh grill kit, deadpedal rubber tread cover

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BTCM View Post
    Absolutely no on using the AWD Juke with CVT as a "toad'. You will have to have the Juke on a trailer which is towed by your Class A or C RV.

Front wheel drive with CVT is possible but you have to use a vehicle dolly with the front wheels on the dolly.
    Last edited by billarf; 07-27-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Banned
    Absolutely no on using the AWD Juke with CVT as a "toad'. You will have to have the Juke on a trailer which is towed by your Class A or C RV.

Front wheel drive with CVT is possible to tow but you have to use a vehicle dolly with the front wheels on the dolly.

11. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.