iCon Settings - ECO, NORMAL mode
NEWS

1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: iCon Settings - ECO, NORMAL mode

iCon Settings - ECO, NORMAL mode

Hello,

So, I'm in my 2nd tank of gas and I was wondering what other using have been experiencing in terms of MPG in Eco mode vs Normal mode.

my Juke has just over 300 miles on the OD. I'm in my second tank of gas and so far I'm seeing about 29mpg driving 60% highway and 40% city, all in ECO mode.
    I've been wondering if I switch to Normal mode during highway speeds will increase my MPG. I guess I can just try it but Would like to hear from other owners.
    Thanks

--Oliver

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

I gave up on ECO months ago, what's the point of good mileage if I'm not having fun. I never really noticed improved MPG driving ECO anyway. I can do the same thing with my foot on the accelerator.

My other problem is I hate having to switch drive modes each time I get in the car. The ICON should remember the last setting and leave it there.

Stupid Nissan!
    2011 Cayenne Red SV AWD - (Navi, splash guards, UK Arm rest, BU Camera)
    : 25+MPG City 30MPG Highway / Dino Oil
    : No Lights, Engine or Exhaust Mods

Quote Originally Posted by ZacMan527 View Post
    I gave up on ECO months ago, what's the point of good mileage if I'm not having fun. I never really noticed improved MPG driving ECO anyway. I can do the same thing with my foot on the accelerator.

My other problem is I hate having to switch drive modes each time I get in the car. The ICON should remember the last setting and leave it there.

Stupid Nissan!

THIS! Would it be too hard to put the tiniest bit of memory in this thing? Memory that small would cost a fraction of a penny for an OEM like Nissan. Or hell, have it stored in the ECU!

I don't get it either.

OP, I've never seen any mileage benefits from Eco. I put it in Eco when my step son drove it for the first couple times since it has quite a bit more power than his Ford Focus. I can also see it being beneficial for inclement weather as it really slows and smooths throttle inputs. I always drive in Normal or Sport though.
    2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X - Stock
    2004.5 Nissan 350z PPW - Tein Coilovers, 20x9.5/20x11 iForged Sprint Wheels... more stuff
    1992 Chevy 2 Door Full-Size Blazer 4x4 - 6" Superlift Lift, 20" Centerlines, 33" M/T Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post
    OP, I've never seen any mileage benefits from Eco. I put it in Eco when my step son drove it for the first couple times since it has quite a bit more power than his Ford Focus. I can also see it being beneficial for inclement weather as it really slows and smooths throttle inputs. I always drive in Normal or Sport though.
    I have seen some benefits from eco mode, but not on the highway, which makes sense when you think of it. At a steady speed there isn't much it does but keep you at a *slightly* lower gear ratio (speed = hp * gear ratio). However, during stop and go, it is very noticeable, since you are constantly accelerating. Here, eco mode forestalls acceleration to keep the revs lower and the fuel consumption lower, as well as making it feel like the turbo fell off. This makes for a boring ride in city traffic (hence the previous statement of wishing to have fun driving). I only use eco when I am in bumper to bumper and there is no benefit to added horsepower. If you wanted to save gas, eco mode would work in city traffic too, just not so much on the highway (although I sometimes use it for the marginal savings too and to encourage myself to pass others a bit more slowly).

You will see much more fuel savings on the highway selectively using FWD and AWD-V. For trips over an hour I drop to FWD and pick up an MPG or two, but I prefer the handling of ADW-V to thrift the rest of the time.

i notice a difference.

i always drive in Eco mode simply for the fact that i have absolutely no use for normal or sport in a daily driving environment.
    i only use normal if im making a quick stop and go like getting carryout dinner or stopping by a friends house who lives close by or going ANY where which ends in my destination being back to my home within an hour
    i use sport only on rare occasions where i want to feel some oomph.

my mpg's reflect as such

but then again, everyone does have their own tastes, and thats why im glad the Nissan designed the Icon system.... giving us the choice of how we want to drive.

my own findings on the utilization of the icon system is beneficial.
    Eco teaches you how to gingerly use the throttle. you know youre not going much faster by flooring it, so why bother?
    Normal.... well..... normal
    Sport..... if you feel frisky or are getting on a highway with 70mph speed limit and everyone is going well over that and want to get up to speed in a jiffy.

i stopped using eco because the "measure your efficiency-ometer" started bugging me because it was only over 1 star when i coasted, so i switched to normal, and, according to the display, mileage improved, but i havent driven it and fooled around with doing whole tanks in each mode and calculating it myself, so... i dont really trust the display, is it mean average or actual efficiency?
    someone should do tests with a whole tank in each mode with hand calculated mpg

*edit* MEGA RUN ON SENTENCE!!!

I like my different settings as well...but does your icon remember your settings when you stop the car and get back in? I have to reset all my settings everytime I get in the car.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by lacey View Post
    I like my different settings as well...but does your icon remember your settings when you stop the car and get back in? I have to reset all my settings everytime I get in the car.
    Thank you
    The drive mode will reset to Normal every time you start the car (at least on U.S. cars). The climate settings and the trip computer clock settings should be kept. If they're not, you have to make sure the extended storage fuse is pressed in and not pulled out. It's in the fusebox that's in the part of the driver's dash that faces the door when shut. You pry the panel off very carefully, then push the black bracket thing in.

(We should probably sticky this tip somewhere It's on the list of stuff your salesperson/dealer should do before giving you the car, but a lot of them seem to ignore it.)

I've confirmed an increase of 1 to 2 mpg using Eco mode...whether or not anyone else gets similar results will depend on how and where they drive. Eco mode causes you to accelerate less "briskly" and it reduces the RPM's during the interstate cruises.
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...11/juke2-1.jpg

2011 Juke SL
    Gun Metallic, Sport Package, Auto, AWD

Really wish they had put in an Eco light on the dash for all three modes, either driven by RPM or vacuum pressure. I notice it really helps train me as a driver to stay off the gas and keep the little light on, the ECO mode stars and bars sit too low in the dash to monitor while accelerating and watching traffic.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.