Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

Anyone Getting Stated EPA Mileage?

530K views 2K replies 506 participants last post by  BronzeTroy 
#1 ·
So I "heard" that the gas vs. mileage is not what the sticker says. For all of you out there that have a Juke, what kind of Mileage are you getting and what do you have?:eek:

#4 · (Edited)
Subaru Outback Sport - 20/27 claimed.
Toyota Matrix S AWD - 20/26 claimed.
Suzuki SX4 Crossover - 23/29 claimed.
Since these are consistent with what Juke owners report, I did not verify if the real world mileage was as good as the claim, so it is possible these models are getting fewer MPG than claimed.

Nissan Juke - 25/30 claimed.
Forum posts indicate most people are getting slightly less, at worst, consistent with the claimed mileage of vehicles above.

Mini Countryman - 25/31 claimed.
The Countryman is a new release as well and their forums read similar to ours. Endless complaints about the shortage of cars, the accessories necessary, long waits, and the odd car that has been to the dealer multiple times for repair. There are also many posts like this one.....

LuchzMini:
"I have about 700 miles on my Countryman S All4 and I'm a little concerned I'm avg. 20 MPG, city driving. I think it should be closer to 30. Any ideas as to the "Why". I love my Mini and enjoy driving it, but 20 seams very low."

There are very few American Countryman owners, but the complaints are numerous among UK owners as well. Is seems as if the Countryman is getting about the same mileage as the Juke. The same as the stated mileage on the cars I listed at the beginning of this post (or slightly better).

Most likely explanation? Nissan and Mini somehow have built cars that do better on standard laboratory efficiency tests than they do in real life. Does the Juke or Countryman get bad gas mileage? Hell no! They both seem to get exactly what any similar car should get.

Is there anything I can say to put this issue to bed once and for all? Or are people just going to keep working themselves into a lather for no apparent reason?

Are there really so many who bought the Juke just for the mileage? If you were looking at vehicles of this type, I doubt any of you would be doing any better had you gone with something else.

#5 ·
This is the only thing that fries me, I traded in a 2008 altima that consistantly got 30 + mpg. Mind you, only 13 hp less and a larger vehicle. It was every bit as fast as the juke. Juke is getting 22-25 in eco mode. 10 mpg is a pretty steep loss when you drive 1500-1800 miles a month. The only plus is now she can go to the beach without burying it. Its fun to drive but having some buyers remorse. Maybe should have bought a rogue.

#6 ·
Nissan Juke FWD/CVT 27/32 claimed. Last year I purchased a Ford Transit Connect for my work vehical. It's a Ford Focus engine with 4 speed automatic Rated @ 22 city/ 25 highway. The worst mileage was 20.5 mpg and best at 26 mpg. I no longer get the 26 after adding a ladder rack and loaded all the tools I need and 100s of pound of equipment for some jobs. Mileage drops 1 or 2 mpg in the winter. Constant 21 to 23 city driving currently 18,000 miles. Yes we like the way the Juke drives, currently over 3000 miles. But no matter how we drive we never see the rated miles. Like everyone else mid 20s. Yes we bought the Juke to have the best of both worlds, power and MPG's I want the other half of Nissan's bargain!!! I spoke to the service department yesterday when she got her 1st oil change and got the same crap break-in and winter fuels. After the weather and fuel changes I'll return to have the turbo engine and CVT checked under warranty. I think it has more to do with the CVT than the engine. Any one with a manual getting better MPG? The only way this will go away is when the mileage improves. Nissan has a problem to solve.

#10 · (Edited)
How is the EPA's testing procedure Nissan's problem? Sometimes it favors Nissan as in the Juke, and sometimes it works against them as in the Leaf. They don't have the power to tell the EPA what to rate the efficiency at, do they? And if they did, wouldn't the Leaf be rated at the Nissan claim of 100 miles per charge versus the 73 miles per charge the EPA rated it at? Clearly there are factors here that are out of Nissan's control. Why should they have to fulfill someone else's promise?

#7 ·
I have a Juke S AWD with estimated 25city/30hwy. All driving below was done in 2WD mode.

I've bveen averaging 21-23 mpg in city driving, going less than 35mph, going up and down hills in the east bay, with lights or stop signs every other block. This would be worse case scenario city driving and the Juke still does pretty good The city estimate is 25 mpg, however the EPA sticker that was on the Juke when I bought it clearly states "The expected range for most drivers 20 to 30 mpg"

As soon as I get in an area where I can go 35-45mph or when I mix city and highway driving 50/50 I get more like 26-28mpg. On more open roads with less stops going around 45 mph I easily get 28-30mpg

For all highway driving, 1) averaging 70mph or less I get 28-32 mpg, 2) 75-85 mph gets me more in the range of 25-27 mpg. The highway estimate is 30 mpg, however the EPA sticker that was on the Juke when I bought it clearly states "The expected range for most drivers 24 to 36 mpg"

Given this, my Juke is clearly performing within the EPA specs and I do not see an issue with gas mileage. If I drive like a granny than I get the EPA average estimate, If I drive like speed racer then I get the lower end of the EPA expected range.

FYI- the car computer estimated average gas mileage is consistently 2-3 mpg less then the actual gas mileage (old school method of dividing the total miles driven using the trip odometer by the amount of gas filled)

JJ

#28 ·
I have a Juke S AWD with estimated 25city/30hwy. All driving below was done in 2WD mode.

I've bveen averaging 21-23 mpg in city driving, going less than 35mph, going up and down hills in the east bay, with lights or stop signs every other block. This would be worse case scenario city driving and the Juke still does pretty good The city estimate is 25 mpg, however the EPA sticker that was on the Juke when I bought it clearly states "The expected range for most drivers 20 to 30 mpg"

As soon as I get in an area where I can go 35-45mph or when I mix city and highway driving 50/50 I get more like 26-28mpg. On more open roads with less stops going around 45 mph I easily get 28-30mpg

For all highway driving, 1) averaging 70mph or less I get 28-32 mpg, 2) 75-85 mph gets me more in the range of 25-27 mpg. The highway estimate is 30 mpg, however the EPA sticker that was on the Juke when I bought it clearly states "The expected range for most drivers 24 to 36 mpg"

Given this, my Juke is clearly performing within the EPA specs and I do not see an issue with gas mileage. If I drive like a granny than I get the EPA average estimate, If I drive like speed racer then I get the lower end of the EPA expected range.

FYI- the car computer estimated average gas mileage is consistently 2-3 mpg less then the actual gas mileage (old school method of dividing the total miles driven using the trip odometer by the amount of gas filled)

JJ

Dead on with this. I drive an a hour a day to work so i have watched my mileage very closely. i got down to 2 bars on gas gauge then fill up takes around 10.5 to 10.9 gallons of the 13 when i check odometer says i drove 320 to 330 mile on tank. I dont use estimated mpg thru panel. its always changing based on engine idle speed. i will say DO NOT USE 87! Milage per tank was 295 plus loss of power. I do plan on getting axel-back and k&n performance also = better gas milage. except when you gotta let that turbo whistle :D then its all performance.

#8 ·
I live in Utah, so my driving involves a few mountains (my daily commute goes from 6000ft down to about 4200ft and back).
The lowest I've had is 22mpg and the highest was 28, but I have not had a long freeway trip yet. Temperatures seem to effect the Juke's mileage a lot.

Honestly, it gets about what my '02 WRX got.
I bet a good tune will net a little more power as well as mpg...once a tuner cracks the ECU.

#9 ·
I live in New Jersey where there's a whole lot of stopping and accelerating. I get about 22 MPG with my FWD Manual.

IMO, the lack of gas economy is the only downside to the Juke. I enjoy the car so much, that I don't mind paying $30 a week on gas.

#11 · (Edited)
I have no complaints with the gas mileage. Its better than my previous vehicle and even with premium gas it costs me 25% less to drive. I would love to get better mileage but anyone can say that with any car. Who wouldn't like spending less money on gas?

I don't feel that Nissan has lied to me. It was all on the window sticker but you have to read the details. The large numbers are the average but the range for drivers will vary. Some will get lower mileage and some will get higher mileage.

If you're on the low end its quite possible you'll get 20 City and 24 Highway. :eek:

Only Dude can complain because he doesn't even get the low end. ;)

BTW this is the sticker for the AWD.

Attachments

#12 ·
Thanks for your help in keeping the mileage debate rational, ZacMan.

I agree that Dude is the only person who has any right to complain. He was getting significantly lower that the low end estimate. What did he bottom out at? 16 MPG? Now that is a problem! I am hoping that one day soon they'll get his problem sorted.

#14 ·
I'm getting 20 mpg city with FWD CVT.

I do think that Nissan cheated because I haven't heard about any driver getting 27 or higher mpg in city conditions (some stops and idling, speed limit 25-45 miles, frequent turns).

Another small lie (more like a fine print actually) that even though the car is rated 188 hp and 27/35 mpg in reality I can get 188 hp OR higher mpg - the car in ECO mode that most likely was used for the mpg rating behaves more like 100 hp car with emergency boost...

#19 ·
I'm getting 20 mpg city with FWD CVT.

I do think that Nissan cheated because I haven't heard about any driver getting 27 or higher mpg in city conditions (some stops and idling, speed limit 25-45 miles, frequent turns).

Another small lie (more like a fine print actually) that even though the car is rated 188 hp and 27/35 mpg in reality I can get 188 hp OR higher mpg - the car in ECO mode that most likely was used for the mpg rating behaves more like 100 hp car with emergency boost...
They should of just put a big old v6 in the Juke and we could of had more HP and the same MPG :)

#15 ·
I agree that the MPG is based on an average styles and conditions. So even when we drive in a very conserative way we can't get near the claimed MPG not to mention exceeding it. Anyone or thing is welcome to drive my Juke and prove me wrong about the MPG. It won't get corrected here, so I've contacted Nissan consumer affairs and will approach the dealer to have the vehical checked under warranty. I'll update later.

#17 ·
Since I've purchased my Juke I'm getting 24.4MPG (according to the dash computer) most of it is to/from work with a mix of City/Highway miles. I've played with Sport mode and "Juked" a few cars and trucks, so I haven't been light-footed.

I've only put 300 miles on my Juke though. I use a Droid app "a-Car" to track my cars but I haven't done enough fill-ups on the Juke to get readings yet.

#18 ·
curious: we are not talking about the dash computer reading + I'm really curious about the traffic in your area cause I have to drive VERY slowly to get 22 mpg.

another general question: do you consider a relatively short stretch of a freeway (2-15 miles, 65 miles or 100km /h speed limit, light traffic, no traffic lights) "city" or highways?

#22 ·
Today's mileage experience

So I filled my tank yesterday drove 1 mile home and parked my Juke overnight.

This morning drove to NYC (30 miles) with my wife to see the Westminster dog show at MSG. Temperature outside was around 46. Got my mileage up to 29.6mpg on the dash :D and then hit the Lincoln Tunnel traffic. By the time we were in the city it was down to 28.2mpg. :(

Drove in the city about a total of 4 miles in stop and go traffic until we got to the the parking lot (45 minutes :eek:) 24.2 mpg on the gauge.

Left NYC around 3 and crawled through the tunnel again, bumper to bumper 1/2 hour, an by the time we hit higway speed it was down to 21.6mpg. :mad:

By the time we made it home it was 60 degrees and back to 24.6 mpg on the dash. :)

All highway speeds were between 50-60mph on these local highways.

Mileage was pretty much what I would have expected.

Moral of the story: Next time I take the train. ;)

BTW the parking attendant really liked the Juke. When we picked it up he asked what car and I said "Nissan Juke". Gave me a strange look! I said "it's red, and small". He says "Oh, the smallest one" and ran off to get it. He came back and says "it looks small on the outside but its big inside. I like it" :D

#25 ·
They need a new editor/proof reader/fact checker.
First they said the S trim with FWD and 6 speed manual, then they said the 6 speed manual was only available in SV trim.
They also said they got 23mpg, then said they got 22.5mpg, then said they went 270 miles before the gas light came on in their AWD SL (which would put them at around 24.5mpg at least).

#29 ·
ok heres something i noticed. i get 25-27 on average no issues. I see most of you say i use eco. Ok i run around in normal during stop and go traffic in town, normal driving. I only hit eco when im going to be the same speed consistantly and sport when i wanna. If you think about it when you are in eco you have to give it a lot it seems of pedal to get it going witch in turn opens throttle body witch means more air witch means more fuel Jst saying.

#30 ·
If you think about it when you are in eco you have to give it a lot it seems of pedal to get it going witch in turn opens throttle body witch means more air witch means more fuel Jst saying.
I was under the impression that it is a servo controlled throttle and eco mode just slowed response through a proportional controller. Essentially just dumbing down the pedal and not affecting fuel:air ratio.

#32 ·
Have had my Juke SL for about three weeks now. Noticed I was only getting around 18 mpg in city driving. I recently realized if I drove the speed limit (there's a concept) I got closer to 24 mpg. Guess that's what the EPA based the mileage on.

I am skeptical that they knew what your speed limits in your area are and based their figures off that. Probably calculated an average of all cities and used that speed.

#33 ·
I picked up my Juke yesterday, and reset the MPG gauge. I've driven 1/2 city 1/2 highway (Boston, MA area) and the MPG gauge says 32mpg... but then I'm shifting soft, I'm never beyond 2k rpm unless I'm on highway and on 6th gear. (SL 6MT)

1 thing to note was that before I got into the city and just engaging on the highway, the MPG gauge was reading out 37mpg. Then once I left the city it was down to 31mpg, and once I got home I'm back to 32mpg.

I've yet to do my first fill up, so we'll see if the gauge is lying.

#513 · (Edited)
I picked up my Juke yesterday, and reset the MPG gauge. I've driven 1/2 city 1/2 highway (Boston, MA area) and the MPG gauge says 32mpg... but then I'm shifting soft, I'm never beyond 2k rpm unless I'm on highway and on 6th gear. (SL 6MT)

1 thing to note was that before I got into the city and just engaging on the highway, the MPG gauge was reading out 37mpg. Then once I left the city it was down to 31mpg, and once I got home I'm back to 32mpg.

I've yet to do my first fill up, so we'll see if the gauge is lying.
That's exactly my experience with the Manual. My commute is 30 miles, 50/50 city freeway but split 25 city / 50 freeway / 25 city. My results are best on the city sections providing there are not too many stops. On the freeway the number always drops, especially above 60mph. Overall though for my journey it is a very good result. Over 6000 miles I'm averaging almost 33 calculated properly (ie not the trip computer).

On the odd weeks where the car is used for very short city trips it can easily drop to 20 though.

I was concerned about mpg before I bought it but for me it has worked out. Just dont get me started on the squeaks and rattles.... that is the issue that will prevent a long term relationship with this car for me ;-)

Oh and I reside and commute in almost completely flat south western Ontario /south eastern MI

#34 ·
#37 ·
#36 ·
The dash gauge is wrong, mine is always lower than the real calculated MPG.

#42 ·
My trip computer's MPG is off by almost exactly 0.5 MPG low (I get 0.5 mpg better than the computer says) on all highway driving trips. The type of trip will impact this.

What I have noticed about Juke gas mileage.
1. It is a small engine, heavy loads will drastically decrease MPG due to extra turbo use.
Example: Driving into a strong headwind (30 mph with gusts to 50+ mph) at 60-70 mph (on 2 lane) and I averaged only 20-22 mpg for 600 miles. On return trip I got 25+ at 80 mph (on interstate), but I didn't have headwinds.
2. Short trips (especially in cold weather) will hurt gas mileage. This is normal. The colder the engine is the less efficient it will be.
Example: Short trips in town (about 5 miles) and I average 22 mpg or so. Longer trips (10 miles or so) and the gas mileage is up to 24+ mpg. According to trip computer.

I think the Juke is a great mixed driving (highway/city) commuter vehicle as the average MPG isn't too bad. Most V6 engines average less than 20, where I have never gotten less than 20 mpg in my Juke. Remember that the Juke has the profile of a small truck, so it really hurts gas mileage over what a low car with a bigger engine can get on the highway due to increased drag.

I have about 7500 miles on my Juke now.