Octane Rating Matters?!!

1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums – General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

Closed Thread

Thread: Octane Rating Matters?!!

Question Octane Rating Matters?!!

Hey Guys,

When I bought my 2011 Nissan Juke SL FWD on 2/3 from ABC Nissan on Camelback Rd in Phoenix, the dealership insisted that I ONLY use Premium fuel in my Juke. I've been reading the forums on a couple sites and I'm hearing people are using even regular unleaded and with no problems?

However, the service guys said if I didn't use Premium 91 Octane or higher (if available) that my car would knock... and potentially hurt my new vehicle... should I just take this as a suggestions and start saving 20 cents/gal on gas and put regular unleaded in or continue to use the premium stuff? What about alternating mid-grade and premium? I'm very curious to hear your opinions, because I've been using ONLY premium for the last 2.5 weeks...

Right now, my MPG gauge says im averaging 21.4MPG... this sucks!! I do a lot of city driving, but I'm starting to miss my Stratus R/T Coupe that was averaging 27/28mpg... of course i'm hearing from a lot of people this is related to "break-in" period and "winter fuels"?

Any suggestions or thoughts on these questions would be great appreciated!! Thanks!! -Mike
    2011 Nissan Juke SL FWD -Sapphire Black
    Upgrades: Muffler delete, Straight-pipe to 3.5" Infiniti Chrome Tip, 8000K HID's w/high-beams, 6000K LED DRL's
    12" Alpine-R 1500W Sub, Kenwood Amp, Oakley Graphics Rear Logo Kit, Juke Floormats, State Police License Plate Frames

19135mi as of 12/21/12
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Let's not start another thread debate on this subject. There's already a couple of them. Here's one: Fuel debate: Premium or Regular?

Please do a search before starting a new thread.

BTW. Congratulations on your purchase.
    2011 Sapphire Black, SV, AWD, Splashguards, LED Lighting, LED-DRLs, HID Conversion

..:: I'm Juke Happy ::..

Subaru Outback Sport - 20/27 claimed.
    Toyota Matrix S AWD - 20/26 claimed.
    Suzuki SX4 Crossover - 23/29 claimed.
    Since these are consistent with what Juke owners report, I did not verify if the real world mileage was as good as the claim, so it is possible these models are getting fewer MPG than claimed.

Nissan Juke - 25/30 claimed.
    Forum posts indicate most people are getting slightly less, at worst, consistent with the claimed mileage of vehicles above.

Mini Countryman - 25/31 claimed.
    The Countryman is a new release as well and their forums read similar to ours. Endless complaints about the shortage of cars, the accessories necessary, long waits, and the odd car that has been to the dealer multiple times for repair. There are also many posts like this one.....

LuchzMini:
    "I have about 700 miles on my Countryman S All4 and I'm a little concerned I'm avg. 20 MPG, city driving. I think it should be closer to 30. Any ideas as to the "Why". I love my Mini and enjoy driving it, but 20 seams very low."

There are very few American Countryman owners, but the complaints are numerous among UK owners as well. Is seems as if the Countryman is getting about the same mileage as the Juke. The same as the stated mileage on the cars I listed at the beginning of this post (or slightly better). In short, average (and predictable) gas mileage. Nothing to write home about, but certainly nothing to complain about.

That being said, your mileage will increase when it gets warmer and might also improve somewhat after break-in is over.

I just picked up my Juke on Thursday at New City Nissan here in Honolulu. They gave me a full tank of gas but it was regular unleaded, not premium, not even the middle grade! I was thankful for the gas but really disappointed they didn't put in what Nissan recommends. How strange, huh? So, i can't say how it's driving because i haven't gotten to try it with the correct gas yet but it's definitely not knocking or pinging.

Same here, the dealer filled it up with regular 83-85 octane and I didn't hear any knocking, however I only got 22mpg on that first tank. My first tank with 91-octane I got 27.7mpg (mix highway/city).

I'm still under 1000 miles so I'm not gunning it too hard yet, shift at 3500rpm but I do drive like 70-ish on the freeway.
    2011 Juke SL FWD 6MT, Cayenne Red, Red/Black Interior

Mods/Options:
    Sports Package, Lighted Kickplate, Sunroof Visor, LED interior lights, Tinted windows, ClearBra, Grills in the "wine rack"
    Future/Wish list: HID Lights, Custom Graphics

To follow up, i finally put some premium gas in my Juke, waited 'til my gas warning light came on, and i noticed a difference right away in the way it drives. It seems to be smoother and acclerates better. I've only been driving it in Normal mode and the car computer said (with the regular grade gas) i've average 21.9 mpg. That's mostly town driving. So hopefully my mileage will improve with the premium gas but i think the improvement in the way it drives is worth the more expensive gas.

We have enough gas and octane threads already.

Closed

9. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.