Premium vs Regular Gas Debate - Page 18

1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 65 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Premium vs Regular Gas Debate

Quote Originally Posted by maggs&crash View Post
    We fuelded up for the first time on the weekend (happy owners for a whole week now!). I used Premium but do intend to try other grades to see the effect. If it were only a matter 10 cents a gallon I'd stay with premium but where we are in Canada it's that much more per litre.

To convert, our regular is selling for $5.25 a U.S gallon right now .... so about $5.68 for premium - quite high .... and quite a difference.

I'll try mid-grade next but if there's any noticable degredation in performance then we'll suck up and go for the gold.
    So its maybe 4 bucks more a week to fill with prem. (if you fill weekly)

x 52 thats only 200 bucks for a whole year to run premium over regular. Actually less since your mpg will be higher with premium.
    2011 Juke SV- Nissan buyback special

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kizzo View Post
    I agree. If you are concerned about paying premium for gas in this car, I think you should have purchased another vehicle. I don't think it's wise to cut corners just to save money and ignore a recommendation since the Juke itself is VERY NEW. There is a reason for that recommendation and I think it will help the health of your vehicle in the long run.

Although I think the mid-grade option could provide a balance. But I would avoid using the cheap gas at all costs.
    Noted.

I will mention that at time of purchase, the salesman, service manager, and a mechanic all stated that we would be "OK" using regular and would not violate any warranty conditions by doing so but might notice a slight degredation in performance.

For the record, I'm not wet behind the ears exactly: In the 70's I worked at a sportscar dealership and have owned a 61' Jag, 60' MGA and today still own a 72' MGB. In the "old days", I remember recommending people use a minimium Sunoco 240 - 260 preferred (102 octane). My MG manual states to go no lower than 93 octane - 95 recommended, leaded no less. Gone are those days and I manage with 91 octane and lead substitute.

Not looking to argue - just allay fears. The manual does in fact recommend Premium ..... they also recommend changing the brake fluid every 12 months.

YMMV

At my last fill up Premium was out so I used Regular for the first time in this car. Personally noticed zero difference in the way it drives and as a bonus mileage has gone up 2 mpg. Seriously, all the drama here about junking engines, sacrificing your juke, voiding warranties is very entertaining. I'm an Automotive Engineer. You are not going to do any such thing. I've owned "premium recomended" cars before (BMW's, Mini Cooper S, Aurora) and used regular often with no detrimental consequences at all. I'm not about telling you what to do; it's totally owners choice. However if you wish to, and it works for you, you can feel totally comfortable feeding your Juke regular and disregard the hysterics.
    Juke SL+Nav Blue Lightning FWD 6MT

Think I'll stick with premium... I can afford it! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    Think I'll stick with premium... I can afford it! LOL
    Hey - luv the rims!

One advantage our fine Southern neighbours enjoy is better gas prices - I just filled my Jimmy at $1.41/litre ($5.33/U.S. Gal) for regular.

Your Jukes are a lot cheaper too

Quote Originally Posted by maggs&crash View Post
    Hey - luv the rims!

One advantage our fine Southern neighbours enjoy is better gas prices - I just filled my Jimmy at $1.41/litre ($5.33/U.S. Gal) for regular.

Your Jukes are a lot cheaper too
    Hey thanks!! and Ouch...didn't realize gas was so high in Canada!

Quote Originally Posted by markv View Post
    At my last fill up Premium was out so I used Regular for the first time in this car. Personally noticed zero difference in the way it drives and as a bonus mileage has gone up 2 mpg. Seriously, all the drama here about junking engines, sacrificing your juke, voiding warranties is very entertaining. I'm an Automotive Engineer. You are not going to do any such thing. I've owned "premium recomended" cars before (BMW's, Mini Cooper S, Aurora) and used regular often with no detrimental consequences at all. I'm not about telling you what to do; it's totally owners choice. However if you wish to, and it works for you, you can feel totally comfortable feeding your Juke regular and disregard the hysterics.
    I agree, and he's telling the truth.....

Cars these days have sophisticated computer control systems that make fuel octane a non-issue. Obiously the lower grade will not get you the optimum power you want, but you arent going to notice any loss of power.

Lately i have been filling up my juke with 87 and not one problem, nor feeling of loss of power. still peppy since the day i brought it home and its not even time for its first oil change yet.

my fuel economy has not changed either

hmmm...It kinda begs the question as to why Nissan would recommend the use of premium at all if it makes no difference huh? I know!...Must be a damn conspiracy going on between them and the big oil companies ...right?
    Last edited by curious; 05-10-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    hmmm...It kinda begs the question as to why Nissan would recommend the use of premium at all if it makes no difference huh? I know!...Must be a damn conspiracy going on between them and the big oil companies ...right?
    Hehehe!! And letteth the flood gates open...

Semantics?

12. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.