Premium Gas, really?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Premium Gas, really?

Premium Gas, really?

Hey,

I have read mixed information on this...personally, if I need to fill Jukey with Premium, it's a no-go for me...gas prices are insane, and if the fill-up is more expensive then my mazda 3 that takes cheap gas, it's a no go.

I read the thread on here, but on the net, still inconclusive..any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

I don't know how much gas is where you are, but I calculated it for me and it wasn't that big of a difference to be honest.

Letsay regular is $2.60
    Premium is $2.80
    -thats a 20 cent difference

If you drive 10000 miles per year and get 25 mpg
    that's 400 gallons

400 gallons * 20 cents = $80 difference per year....

Even if it was a 50 cent difference in price
    it would still only be $200 difference per year

The owners manual states that it's recommended you use 91+ octane gas, otherwise you may deteriorate your engine overtime...or something like that.

If spending something like $80-$120 extra dollars a year saves me thousands of dollars of repairs later, I'm for it.
    Proud owner of a 2011 Juke SL in Sapphire Black

I had the same reaction at first when I was considering the Juke. No way I wanted to buy Premium gas. I told this to my wife and she asked what the difference would be.

I told her to fill up the tank (11 7/8 US gal) @ .20 per gallon would cost me $2.38 more than using regular.

I was going from a 99 V8 Durango to the Juke so we're talking about 12-15 vs 24-30 mpg.

I stopped for a second and realized that using half the fuel I needed for my truck more than made up for the .20 difference in fuel cost. Since last Thursday I've gone through 1/4 tank of gas in the Juke that would have burned more that a 1/2 tank in the Durango.

It all depends on what you're currently driving and the fuel savings you might realize.

Your mileage may vary.

I'm like you ZacMan, only I was driving a Charger getting about 17mpg and I had to use PLUS gas to do it. It will cost me about .10 more per gallon, but it will more than pay for itself. If you had a mazdaspeed you would also have to use premium. It is one of the prices you must pay in order to have a turbo.
    2011 Chrome Silver Juke SV CVT/AWD
    w/ 32 tinted front windows
    "Wanna see my Juke move"?

I have a mazda 3 sedan, not mazdaspeed....but the claimed mileage for Juke is better than the mazda 3..so Im assuming there won't be a cost differential?

Is the spread for people really 0.20/gal? Here in Pittsburgh the spread is 10% or roughly 0.30/gal right now. That would work out to roughly 3.60 a tank.

12000 miles/yr / 24 mpg = 500 gal => $150/yr

At least the Juke should get far better gas mileage than my RX-8 which also takes only Premium.

Quote Originally Posted by RubxQub View Post
    The owners manual states that it's recommended you use 91+ octane gas, otherwise you may deteriorate your engine overtime...or something like that.
    Actually, the Owner's Manual says this:
    If unleaded premium gasoline is not available, you may use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI number (Research octane number 91), but you may notice a decrease in performance.
    Basically, the car will retard the ignition and you will lose some HP, but you won't hurt your engine.

If somebody really wanted to run 87 octane, they can.

You don't need to use premium gas. The engine's computer will adjust the engine cycle and under nearly all conditions the car will run just fine. Power will be slightly reduced because of the changes the computer will make to the engine compression.

The juke has a high compression engine. Premium gas is used in this type of engine so that the gasoline is not pre-ignited. Premium does not ignite as easily as regular. Regular may pre-ignite and result in knocking of the engine. The car's computer will recognize this condition and change the cycle. No harm will be done to the engine.

The only time you would want to use premium is if you are going to push the car hard. Under hard acceleration the computer will not be able to prevent pre-ignition. This can be heard in the form of knocking. Long term knocking can damage the engine.

But don't trust me, trust mechanics and a chemist that works for an unnamed oil company.

cartalk.com/content/features/premium/questions.html

Edit: Hah! Got around the min. post link requirement.

If you are worried about 30 cents per gallon, then you probably shouldn't be buying a new car. There are plenty of used cars out there that are in great condition for half the price.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.