Octane question... - Page 2

1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums – General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Octane question...

Quote Originally Posted by lne937s View Post
    In my experience, 91 octane is typically in areas that do not have ethanol in their gas and 93 is in areas with ethanol-containing RFG. Ethanol raises octane equivalent rating (resistance to knock), but it also does not have the energy density of pure gasoline.

I would get the ethanol-free gas for better fuel economy and avoidance of ethanol-related issues.
    Exactly. Ine937s, you're succinctly correct in your summation. I avoid ethanol contaminated fuel whenever possible. Not just for better performance and mileage from unadulterated gasoline or to avoid the well documented problems associated with ethanol when mixed with gasoline. I have a strong aversion to willingly supporting the foolishness of turning a food stock into an inferior transportation fuel. Fortunately 91 octane ethanol free fuel is readily available here in the Minneapolis area.

I'm firmly of the belief that if you're going to go to the trouble of fermenting corn and then distilling it, it should be consumed responsibly as a libation, not burned as fuel to simply drive around.

Now isobutanol, that's some good stuff right there Maynard. It's an advanced biofuel I could support. Higher energy density that ethanol and could be a direct drop in for gasoline. There's encouraging progress being made in process development for producing it from stuff other than corn, such as other 'left over' sources of cellulosic feedstock as well as natural gas.
    Last edited by dude59; 02-14-2017 at 11:50 PM.
    '12 Juke SL AWD '91 BMW 318is

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

The highest I have gone is 100 octane. I was tuned specifically for it on my one map and according to my tuner on the dyno it gained an extra 25 wheel with it. I defiantly notice the difference when using it that's for sure but also my bank account notices the difference as well..lol!
    2013 Nismo juke AWD: K&N SRI, Custom 3inch turboback exhaust, HID, 2j racing crank pulley, gtm IC pipes, synapse DV, TS Wastegate act., tanabe strut bar, UPREV Tune (93octane:m1-19ps1, m2-16psi, m3-15psi)(91octane: m4-14psi)(100 ocatane:m5-20psi), Gtm downpipe, Stillen Rear Sway Bar, seibon gtr style carbon fiber hood, mrp upper/lower engine mounts, mgp caliper covers, r1 concepts slotted/drilled rotors, mrp dedicated oil cooler, mrp 3-1 cooler, mrp FMIC.

I also concur with Ine937s. I first started using 93 with ethanol in my 2015 S. I switched to 91 without ethanol and noticed improved mileage (measured) and better performance (perceived). Hopefully, you live in an area that sells non ethanol.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

I would run non ethanol if they had 93. Unfort they only have 91 around here. I am not gonna run 91 when I am tuned for 93+.
    2014 Silver NISMO RS 2wd 240whp 260tqe
    Tint Sun Strip. Cargo Cover. DRL Switch. Zenon Headlites. Full Ultratech Racing Brace Pkg
    LED:Gator Backup Dome License SideMarker Brake. Pinstriping. Doorguards.Weathertech's
    Lighted Scuffs, Accent Lighting, Nismo Strut Caps, 80A Engine mount. Uprev Tuned. Boost gauge
    2J Pully, GTM IC pipes, Injen CAI, TS Wastegate, Injen 2ndCATdlt & 3" pipe, TS BOV, Stut Tower Brace

Unfortunately in NJ all gas has 10% ethanol content.

If you can find gas with no ethanol and atleast 91 octane, go for it. You will get better gas mileage vs 91 with 10% ethanol.

Regarding using 91 vs 93. If you have an unmodified Juke (non-nismo version) I would just fill with 91. You may see slightly better gas mileage with 93 but the cost difference between 91 and 93 will offset the extra 2-3 mpg per fill.

If you have a tune, mods or the nismo version (with/without mods & tune) be sure to fill with the highest octane available as it will give you a larger margin regarding knock. Especially on those hot summer days when the IC gets heat soaked pretty quick or when it's really cold out and cars tend to run a little leaner due to the denser & colder air.

A couple of extra dollars per fill is worth it in comparison to a new motor.

Also, wanted to mention that back when I had a BMW 335i, I would add 30% e85 to a tank filled with 93 and it would help with my hot map knocking on hot summer days. Haven't tried on the juke as its untested waters but I'm sure we should be safe with 10% ethanol as its part of the US requirements on automotive manufacturers.
    Juke Nismo RS 6MT
    Mods: Stockish for now! Hidden Content Hidden Content

Guess I'm a weird guy because I tuned my car on 87 lol. Purposely did it just for safety margin. Wasn't fighting for highest HP numbers but safety. Not too mention I can save some money at the pumps. But I have an 87 octane tune for daily driving at 22 psi lol. But I also have a 91 non ethanol map, and a regular 93/10% eth map. That's why I love Uprev and the map switching on the fly lol.
    2014 Saphire Black Juke Nismo RS 6MT- Stockish

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisChhorn View Post
    Guess I'm a weird guy because I tuned my car on 87 lol. Purposely did it just for safety margin. Wasn't fighting for highest HP numbers but safety. Not too mention I can save some money at the pumps. But I have an 87 octane tune for daily driving at 22 psi lol. But I also have a 91 non ethanol map, and a regular 93/10% eth map. That's why I love Uprev and the map switching on the fly lol.
    I understand wanting a safe map to avoid grenading a motor but 22psi on 87 octane does not sound safe unless you have an upgraded turbo. Perhaps your car would benefit from some methanol injection. This way you have a margin of safety when you accidentally fill with 87 octane.

I plan on installing a methanol injection kit before I go for a tune. This way I have a huge safety net with octane and the benefit of cooling the intake charge. Additionally it will help keep the intake valves clean which can be a big issue on high mileage DI motors.
    Juke Nismo RS 6MT
    Mods: Stockish for now! Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbbg View Post
    I plan on installing a methanol injection kit before I go for a tune. This way I have a huge safety net with octane and the benefit of cooling the intake charge. Additionally it will help keep the intake valves clean which can be a big issue on high mileage DI motors.
    I've had a mild interest in meth/water injection. It's been around a long time, several WWII aircraft having used it. I look forward to your reporting on which setup you go with and the installation and operational results to see if the manufactures claims match your results.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbbg View Post
    I understand wanting a safe map to avoid grenading a motor but 22psi on 87 octane does not sound safe unless you have an upgraded turbo. Perhaps your car would benefit from some methanol injection. This way you have a margin of safety when you accidentally fill with 87 octane.

Nothing wrong with an 87 tune. All it really is is just a map with less timing. Less timing = less detonation and blah blah blah. Main reason for it is because we get "winter gas". The pump may say 93 but winter gas has variations. Doesn't matter what PSI you run as long as you have reduced timing to compensate. Not to mention, I also run GTR spark plugs which are 1 step colder than OEM which also helps prevent detonation. I beat the living piss out of my motor so the more detonation I can prevent, the better.

I also sea foam my motor every oil change so intake valves aren't a massive issue for me at this point in time. Going in with a scope, build up is very mild at 40k with no catch cans.
    2014 Saphire Black Juke Nismo RS 6MT- Stockish

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisChhorn View Post
    I also sea foam my motor every oil change so intake valves aren't a massive issue for me at this point in time. Going in with a scope, build up is very mild at 40k with no catch cans.
    Wish I had a bore scope or a buddy with one. I also do and induction cleaning each oil change using Gumout Multi System Tune Up (the Gumout has PEA, polyetheramine, think Sea Foam 2.0).

I've seen the nasty dirty valve images, would like to see what the results of an induction cleaning regimen look like after 10s of thousands of miles...

13. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.