Weird engine noise at startup sounds like a diesel engine

1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums – General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weird engine noise at startup sounds like a diesel engine

Weird engine noise at startup sounds like a diesel engine

A friend of mine has a 2012 Nissan Juke and I heard it start today after sitting hours. It started fine no issues but the engine sounded like a diesel for like 2 seconds not so much metal on metal but like the engine was moving slow then picked up. He stated it has always done that. Is this normal? Oil level is good, no driving issues , and after that start it doesnt do it again till after it has cooled down.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Did your 2011 Juke SV that you purchased with 78000 miles sound like that?
    2014 Nismo RS 6MT
    Nismo cf front lip, Nismo cool-blue mirrors, Nismo CAIw/Aux, Impul cf mirrors + inner panels, Seibon hood, Hella horns
    Homelink mirror, OEM refresh tails, DRLswitch, Rays formula lugs, 2J pulley+hoses, Injen IC kit, SM DOCCs
    Synapse DV, IRZ STB, Cusco RSB, 370Z smoke rear fog+switch, SmartStart mobile remote start
    Lightwerkz FXR Stg 1 HID projector retrofit, 3Gs Dual Pod Pillar, Aeroforce CNi102 gauges, Samco hoses
    Uninstalled: TUI catback, Cusco lower arm bar, Impul grille

I dont think so but to be honest I dont remember i got to drive it so little, and when I did paid so much attention to coolant temp. I started my 2012 SL up this morning and it has a similar sound when its cold. His is completely stock, mine has Injen CAI and Injen 2nd cat delete installed so thats maybe why I dont hear it as pronounced.

It's probably the sounds of the cam driven feel pump and injectors.
    With a direct injection set up the car is loud upon initial start up but as the car warms up the sound comes quieter.
    Juke Nismo RS 6MT
    Mods: Stockish for now! Hidden Content Hidden Content

Makes sense I'll let him know he has never worried about it but it just sounded different to me.

Take it to a shop. Its the only way to be sure. Most places wont charge for a "Listen".
    2014 Silver NISMO RS 2wd 240whp 260tqe
    Tint Sun Strip. Cargo Cover. DRL Switch. Zenon Headlites. Full Ultratech Racing Brace Pkg
    LED:Gator Backup Dome License SideMarker Brake. Pinstriping. Doorguards.Weathertech's
    Lighted Scuffs, Accent Lighting, Nismo Strut Caps, 80A Engine mount. Uprev Tuned. Boost gauge
    2J Pully, GTM IC pipes, Injen CAI, TS Wastegate, Injen 2ndCATdlt & 3" pipe, TS BOV, Stut Tower Brace

Quote Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
    Take it to a shop. Its the only way to be sure. Most places wont charge for a "Listen".
    Be careful doing that unless your under warranty.

There are many unscrupulous shops that prey on people to inspect/diagnose issues.
    Here in NJ, it's not uncommon for them to charge $100 just to investigate before coming up with a list of things that could be wrong.

Perhaps its its the timing chain. I think there was a recall/TSB for older models.
    Juke Nismo RS 6MT
    Mods: Stockish for now! Hidden Content Hidden Content

9. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.