Anyone with catch cans in cold climate?

1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums – General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone with catch cans in cold climate?

Anyone with catch cans in cold climate?

So started my car up yesterday and with in a few minutes it started to smell like burning oil. Took a look around and there is oil under the high pressure pump near the valve cover. Can't tell exactly where it's comeing from, but it looked like it sprayed under pressure cause the entire area, even the bottom of the oil fill neck has oil on it. Poked around a bit. Took the oil cap off and white gunk under.. so water in the oil. I look at my catch cans, breather side is empty, pcv side is about half full with a oil/water mix. Poke some more.. PCV valve was frozen. I removed the cans, put in a new valve. But it looks like it blew oil from too much crank case pressure.

First off, why would my pcv line be collecting that much water? and is anyone else having trouble in the cold climates with water accumulation in catch cans? I've put maybe 500 miles tops on the car since installing the cans. The car just mostly sits around for weeks at a time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Yes, I recently had a lot of white gunk on my cap also. My Pcv catch can needs to be emptied at least once a month. Is this a bad thing?
    2013 SV

Injen SRI, TUI axleback, EFI logic full IC hardpiping, Turbosmart DV, led lighting, 2Js racing lightweight pulley ,Eibach lowering springs

Cold climates take the engine longer to burn off the water vapor in the engine. Over time it accumulates enough to freeze. I have been doing alot of short trip city driving lately in the RS lately and its been rainy and cold alot. Drained the dual OCC and a large amount of water mix came out of both.
    If you have oil leaking out likely the valve cover gasket blew out.
    Last edited by NissanEgg; 02-24-2015 at 08:12 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

NissanEgg,

so is there a fairly easy solution for this?
    Car: 2015 Nismo RS
    Mods: Injen cat-back exhaust, Injen 2nd cat delete, MRP Upper Torque Mount, Saikou Dual OCC, Nismo CAI, Turbosmart Dual Port BOV, JDM Xenon Headlights with Clear Lens Upgrade
    Wheels/Suspension: RS-R Sport-I Coilovers, TSW Brooklands Matte Black 245x40x19, Yokohama A520, Stillen Front Strut Brace, Stillen Anti-Sway Kit, TB Performance Lower Chassis Brace and Rear Upper Brace

Failed Spark Plug, Internally.

I have a 2011 Juke SV AWD CVT, 44,169 miles, Fully Modded. I run premium fuel and us Mobile One Synthetic which I change between 3500 to 4500.

It was 1 degree F per my Juke Thursday morning. It started right up just like any other day. I had drove 3 miles to the main highway. I go to pull out and nothing. It was like I was in neutral. I switched to manual but was still difficult pulling out and getting up to speed. I stop at the first light that caught me and the same, no power had to switch to manual and no power taking off. I pull up to order at the local Hardee’s for breakfast before I could get to the drive thru I had to roll down my windows because of the horrible toxic oil/gas smell, thinking it was from another vehicle since there was this huge work truck in front of me. I order, pull up, then I realize it is the juke and I can’t see anything around me. By the time I pull up to the drive thru window the entire parking lot is so thick with smoke every vehicle behind me and was pulling in had left or tuned around and left. I get my breakfast and the guy at the window asked, “So do you know your car is smoking really bad?” Really? So I head home. There was so much smoke in the car I drove with my windows down for 5 miles freezing. My rpms were fine but my idle was a little off.

I get home and go in and warm up and wait for the sun to come up. I go back out and open my door and smoke bellows out. Crazy! I’m thinking that it is my oil catch cans, Saikou Michi, and they had over filled and the Juke was burning mass amounts of that blow by gunk since that was what everything including me smelled like. I installed them during my oil change before last. I go to empty them during my last oil change. The Intake Manifold side was full and the Turbo side was about over half full. So I go to empty them, frozen. I ended up taking them off and running hot water over them. This was after trying a blow dryer. Not as full as I thought they’d be. I re-install the OCC and the Juke seems fine. I leave for work again.

I get about 2 miles from the house and the “Check Engine Soon” indicator comes on and my idle is mad crazy. It reminded me of an old biplane and felt like a garden tiller. The indicator would go off while drifting but would come back on when I pressed on the throttle. I am thinking the worse and headed back home.

I call my local Nissan Dealer ship and they told me to bring it on in. I drop it off, get a ride to work. I get a call 5hrs later. The guy from Nissan said it was an internally failed spark plug on cylinder 1 and it looked fine, but their testing equipment told them that it had failed. The smoke was coming from oil that had sprayed out from the pressure built up by the plug not firing. No gaskets were blown. They replaced the spark plug and it now runs fine.

I have had many spark plugs failures over the years in other vehicles, but never had the effects and problems I had this time. The spark plugs are 100k mile plugs. I was charged $154. I’m thinking this should be a warranty issue.

I am taking the Juke back in today for the Timing Chain recall and to have my CVT fluid changed. If anyone knows if the failed spark plug should be under warranty please let me know.

I removed my cans and left them off for now until i figure out a solution. I can't be draining water out of these things every week. Especially in this damn cold. I've put dye in my oil and so far nothing is visible. The oil spot ( I throughly cleaned with full strength simple green) is still spotless. I haven't looked at parts break downs, but I"m guessing there is a rubber gasket in the plastic valve cover. Bolts are pretty few and far between on the VC, so i'm guessing the pressure lifted the VC just enough to blow out the pressure and spray oil. It appears to be sealing right now, and I check it after every drive. Now that I think about it, i'm worried about it blowing oil into the spark plug hole, but i dont' dare try to disassemble that mess of plastic in these freezing temperatures. To easy to break things.

That sounds bad. Good luck with that. Hopefully nothing major.
    2011 SL FWD, CVT, Graphite Blue, purchased used July 25 2014 | Ingen CAI with aux tube & Hydroshield | Philips X-Treme Vision Headlights | Rear Fog Light | DIG-T Badge | Doug Thorley Axleback / Stillen mid-pipe | Aftermarket Spoiler | B&G Lowering Springs | Nismo Wheels | 215/55/17 Falken EUROWINTER HS449 on OEM Rims | 2J Racing Pulley | Eibach 25mm wheel spacers | Turbosmart BOV | OBX Second Cat delete

I researched this very issue for several days before concluding that I will not be installing the dual OCC's sitting in my garage until the spring. They will remain installed until late fall, but every winter I will switch back to stock lines and no OCC's.

Once we buy our next house and I have a quad garage, then the juke can live indoors all year and make it a non-issue, until then this is the plan.
    2015 Super Black Nismo RS 6MT/FWD
    Build:
    Hidden Content

Other Cars:
    2010 Magnetic Black 370Z Sport/Nav/Touring (Build: Hidden Content )
    2015 Brilliant Silver Rogue SL/AWD (Wifey)

Quote Originally Posted by edconline View Post
    I researched this very issue for several days before concluding that I will not be installing the dual OCC's sitting in my garage until the spring. They will remain installed until late fall, but every winter I will switch back to stock lines and no OCC's.

Once we buy our next house and I have a quad garage, then the juke can live indoors all year and make it a non-issue, until then this is the plan.

^^ this and my Seibon GT-R style cf hood won't see snow.
    2014 Nismo RS 6MT
    Nismo cf front lip + b pillars, Nismo cool-blue mirrors, Nismo CAIw/Aux, cf Impul mirrors, inner panels, Seibon hood, Hella horns
    Homelink mirror, OEM refresh tails, DRLswitch, Rays formula lugs, 2J pulley+hoses, Injen IC kit, SM DOCCs
    Synapse DV, IRZ STB, Cusco RSB, 370Z smoke rear fog+switch, SmartStart mobile remote start
    Lightwerkz FXR Stg 1 HID projector retrofit, 3Gs Dual Pod Pillar, Aeroforce CNi102 gauges, Samco hoses
    Uninstalled: TUI catback, Cusco LAB, Impul grille

13. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.